MLB Predictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OneBadLemon said:
AL central- twins (someone picked the royals!)

Yeah...that was WAY before the season started, and I thought they just might be hot. Glad to see my prediction didn't pan out (as well as the Astros predicition).

Headache in a Suitcase said:

come now... they won 66 games last year without piazza, without floyd for 2 months, without matsui, with reyes there for only a month and a half, and without cameron... they're good for an season right around .500. i'm a realist, and i don't really expect anything more than a .500 season... but to say they're a 90 loss team IF piazza is healthy isn't realistic.
Piazza has been healthy and the Mutts still need to ratchet it up a couple of notches and play .384 ball over the last 26 to get to 70 wins. (They need to play .500 to avoid 90 losses...not looking so good Mookie)

Hewson said:
Piazza has been healthy and the Mutts still need to ratchet it up a couple of notches and play .384 ball over the last 26 to get to 70 wins. (They need to play .500 to avoid 90 losses...not looking so good Mookie)

piazza hasn't been healthy, and the muts WERE a .500 team all season, and the second they fell just a little bit out of the race they completely colapsed... which is why art howe needs to be hung by his toes.

Piazza's played in 107 games to date and is 4th on the team in AB, so compared to what happened last year, he's been healthy this year.
Its a 162 game season, teams seek their true level over the course of the season (notice the Rangers are suddenly not a serious playoff contender), the Mets are seeking the 70 win level.
Might as well break out your pin stripes for the playoffs (you know you have them hiding in the back of the closet for just these type of seasons, which are becoming commonplace in Metland).

Hewson said:
Piazza's played in 107 games to date and is 4th on the team in AB, so compared to what happened last year, he's been healthy this year.
Its a 162 game season, teams seek their true level over the course of the season (notice the Rangers are suddenly not a serious playoff contender), the Mets are seeking the 70 win level.
Might as well break out your pin stripes for the playoffs (you know you have them hiding in the back of the closet for just these type of seasons, which are becoming commonplace in Metland).

ahh here we go again... alas, let me explain...

yes it is true, me, the avid met fan, roots for the yankees when they play the red sox. but you see, there's a method to my madness.

the yankees and yankee fans have but one goal... to win the world series. the red sox and red sox fans have the same goal, but goal 1B is to beat the yankees. by rooting for the yankees to beat the red sox, then in turn rooting against the yankees in the world series, i get the best of both worlds.

and i didn't say piazza didn't play... i said he wasn't healthy. so either he was just playing hurt for a large part of the season, or he's just done as a premier player, which is likely as well.

Last edited:
ankiel started his comeback tonight

1 inning pitched, 1 hit no runs, no wild pitches, only 3 balls

he is gonna be a stud

pub crawler said:
I really hope the Red Sox make the post seaon because they are going to get their asses kicked. :wink:
By who? Not the Angies, they ain't even going.
Lets see...last 8 games againsy the so called dominant AL West...7 wins, 1 loss. 3-0 vs the "dominant" Angels. 2-1 vs the Rangers (everybody slips once in a while) 2-0 thus far against the Al west leading Athletics, with Pedro hurling tonite.

Hewson said:
Lets see...last 8 games againsy the so called dominant AL West...7 wins, 1 loss. 3-0 vs the "dominant" Angels. 2-1 vs the Rangers (everybody slips once in a while) 2-0 thus far against the Al west leading Athletics, with Pedro hurling tonite.

Last week the Sox got Lackey, Sele and Colon. In the playoffs they'll get Colon, Escobar and Washburn. And they'll have to play a game or two in Anaheim. :wink:

Hewson said:

why do you continue to do this to yourself? do you enjoy misery? why?

pub crawler said:

Last week the Sox got Lackey, Sele and Colon. In the playoffs they'll get Colon, Escobar and Washburn. And they'll have to play a game or two in Anaheim. :wink:
See the point you're missing is that the playoff teams in the AL will be: Yankees, Red Sox, Twins, Athletics.
Your starting lineup for Pebble Beach on Oct 4 will include several Angels' players, but not your starting lineup for any MLB playoff games.

And wasn't Sele like 8-1 before the Sox roughed him up last week? So instead of an .800(8-2) pitcher like Sele, you pin your hopes on a .500 pitcher (9-9) like Escobar...he's a superior alternative?? It might be fun if you guys did make the playoffs.

why do you continue to do this to yourself? do you enjoy misery? why?
Oh you're right, let me jump on the 60-77 Mets bandwagon instead, they're playing such impressive ball these days.

Lets see, they have this column in the standings for last 10 games, the Red Sox are a paltry 9-1 and the Amazin' Mets are a robust 0-10. Yes your team is less "misery"-able than mine.

Hewson said:
Oh you're right, let me jump on the 60-77 Mets bandwagon instead, they're playing such impressive ball these days.

Lets see, they have this column in the standings for last 10 games, the Red Sox are a paltry 9-1 and the Amazin' Mets are a robust 0-10. Yes your team is less "misery"-able than mine.

being a met fan is extremely frustrating... no question. that's why the highlight of my sports year so far was when fred wilpon walked past me and my friend as we were exiting shea and we got to curse and yell at him while his security guards just stood there and laughed... ahhhh now that was livin'.

i don't get excited over the mets... even in the start of the season. i don't know if i ever will get excited over their title chances until fred wilpon actually sells the team. but hey... i'm gonna root for 'em anyway.

but hey... at least we've won a world series in my life time... :wink:

Last edited:
was that a vote for rick ankiel for cy young?

AL
east- yankees
central- royals
west- angels
wild card- red sox

NL
east- the worst division in baseball... if i'd actually consider the mets to have a chance in this division, then god damn this division sucks... phillies win it, barely finishing over .500
central- cubs
west- arizona
wild card- houston astros

AL MVP- vlad guerrero
NL MVP- richie sexson

AL Cy Young- roy halliday
NL Cy Young- roy oswalt

playoffs:
AL
yankees over royals
red sox over angels

yankees over red sox... red sox nation commit mass suicide
NL
cubs over philllies
astros over d-backs

astros over cubs... cubs fans blow up an andy pettite bobble head doll, laugh it off and say "wait till next year."

world series
astros over yankees... geroge kill himself

well... even though i now think it'll be astros angels, i guess i'm gonna have to stick by my original pick of astros over yankees

Hewson said:
See the point you're missing is that the playoff teams in the AL will be: Yankees, Red Sox, Twins, Athletics.
Your starting lineup for Pebble Beach on Oct 4 will include several Angels' players, but not your starting lineup for any MLB playoff games.
:wave:

:lol:

Hewson said:
Anyway, this will be easy:
AL:
East: Yank Mes
Central: Twinkies
West: Halos
WC: Red Flops

NL:
East: Phils
Cent: Astros
West: Giants
WC: Cubs

Sox over Twins
Yanks over Angels

Sox over Yanks

Phils over Cubs
Giants over Astros

Phils over Giants

Sox over Phils in 6
OK, while we're all patting ourselves on the back, note that I too predicted the AL exactly...yes Pub, I predicted your Angies would win the west, now they will lose the ALDS.

Back
Top Bottom