MLB Offseason Thread: 2007-2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a heck of a lot of speculation coming out of Minnesota. Yanks in talks with the Twins concerning Santana. And now there is word that Joe Nathan may be traded too.

Not liking this as a Twins fan.

phanan said:
Yeah, I've heard the rumors. I just don't think the Yankees have enough players to give to the Twins, though. Unless they include Joba, which they won't.

The article I read today said that the Twins are not expecting a lot, unfortunately. He is a free agent next year, so who ever picks him up is only picking him up for a year.

I guess trading him at least gets you something, right? That or you lose him to free agency next year and get nothing.

I read today that the twins are thinking about changing their logo to this:

soh_uhaul_logo.jpg

zonelistener said:

The article I read today said that the Twins are not expecting a lot, unfortunately. He is a free agent next year, so who ever picks him up is only picking him up for a year.

I guess trading him at least gets you something, right? That or you lose him to free agency next year and get nothing.

Well the good news for you is that Mark Prior ... er ... Fransico Lirano should be back next season. No seriously, he's completely healthy. 100%. Dusty Baker told me.

zonelistener said:

True enough, and in that case, I wouldn't be surprised if the Red Sox were looking into it as well.

I think whatever team picks him up would try to work out an extension as part of the deal, though.

phanan said:

True enough, and in that case, I wouldn't be surprised if the Red Sox were looking into it as well.

Done. They were mentioned (only because the Yankees were mentioned).

Don't tell No Spoken Words this (he hasn't been around in a few days anyway), but I rather see him pitch in Fenway than in the pinstripes in the Bronx.

I'm hearing the Twins want Melky, Hughes, and another guy, and the Yankees would rather Kennedy than Hughes...either way that is a horrible horrible deal for Minnesota. One has to wonder if Johan's no-trade clause is playing into this, and he'll only agree to go to the Yankees, or to a short list of teams including the Yankees - like the Griffey situation where he told the world it was the Reds or nothing. The Sox, Angels, or Dodgers could all put together better offers than that...especially the LA teams because they have more young position players that the Twins can use; Twins have a bunch of young pitching already.

If it's the Yankees the Twins should insist on Joba & Cano, and if they won't do it tell Hal & Hank to go fly a kite.

Word is the Twinkies have told the Sox Ellsbury must be included in any trade proposal for Carlos Santana.
If true, then the Sox are likely out. They want to package Coco and a couple of young pitchers (Lester and Buccholz maybe), but its doubtful they'll part with Ellsbury unless the rest of the package were significantly less, like Ellsbury, Tavarez and Mirabelli. :wink:
So expect Santana to land in NY, just a question of which team. The Mets can make a legit run cause the Twins are said to be more interested in position players thatn pitchers, so the Mets young outfield prospects may stack up against Hughes and Kennedy as trade bait.

Who do these DRays think they are, trying to build a real baseball team, with, like, pitchers & stuff? The nerve. :)

Seriously, love the deal for the Rays, and the Percival signing. Good job selling high on the overrated Delmon Young (but don't tell him I said that, he'll throw a bat at me ONOZ).

A little birdie says the Boston Red Sox have become the favorite in the Johan Santana trade sweepstakes.

The Twins would receive four players for the Twins' two-time Cy Young Award winner, including center fielder Coco Crisp, 28.

Others would be shortstop prospect Jed Lowry, 23; left-handed pitcher Jon Lester, 23; and right-handed pitcher Justin Masterson, 22.

Before a deal could be made, the Red Sox would have to have time to negotiate a contract extension with Santana, 28, who can become a free agent after next season and could have a market value as high as $150 million over six years.

Lowry did not play in the major leagues this year but is considered ready and is a good-fielding shortstop who also can hit. Lowry had a slugging percentage of .500 at Class AA and Class AAA this year.

Lester made a comeback from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma a year ago and is said to be cancer-free.

Masterson, 6 feet 6, 245 pounds, had 59 strikeouts in 58 innings at Class AA Portland.

The New York Yankees don't have the prospects available who the Twins figure have a reasonable chance to play in the major leagues by the end of 2008.

http://www.twincities.com/walters

While I don't like the idea of giving up Lowry, who is projected to become the Sox shortstop probably within a year or so and has looked good so far, for Johan Santana, I would easily do this deal if true. Lester has some big league experience, and while he can still develop, I haven't seen anything yet to suggest he'd be more than a #4 starter, whereas Buchholz has obviously made a bigger splash. And including Crisp instead of Ellsbury is a no-brainer.

This would be a great deal for both sides. Minnesota gets Crisp and Lester, another pitching prospect, and Lowry, which is fantastic when they know they won't get anything for Santana when he leaves after this upcoming season.

And as for Boston, they get the best pitcher in the game and don't have to give up Ellsbury or Buchholz.

Santana and Beckett at the top of the rotation would be absolutely sick.

If they can sign Johan Sebastian Santana to a reasonable extension (like 20 mil per, how in the world did that become "reasonable"?) then the Sox would have to make that deal.

I'd kind of like to hang on to Jed Lowrie as well, because with him the Red Sox have a chance of unloading Julio Lugo on some other team. Other than that, sounds like a good deal.

Back
Top Bottom