MLB Offseason Thread: 2007-2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone else hoping Billy Crystal gets plunked in the ribs at the plate?

(Boy how the Yanks have turned into a joke....allowing a 60 yr old actor to actually play in a game)

it's a shame crystal didn't play against the devil rays.

but yes, the yankees are becoming a joke, which is fun. i see this year going one of two ways... girardi actually gets them pumped for the season and they win 100 games because of their new found aggression...

or it becomes an absolute disaster, the young pitching falls apart, joba becomes the new sam milletelo instead of the new mariano rivera, and they finish 3 games behind tampa bay.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
shockingly enough, it appears as if joe girardi reeks of douchebaggery.... which is nice, 'cause it was hard to hate joe torre as a person.

Well, that's a big reason why the 2006 NL manager of the year got run out of Florida, isn't it?

I didn't catch video of the rhubarb between Tampa Bay and New York yesterday, but if this incident is something that festers all season long...the AL East could be quite interesting this year.

Is getting "run" out of the Florida Marlins organization a bad thing?

There's a lot of douchebags who are champions.

The Rays have definitely sent a message that they're not taking anyone's shit this season. But, Jesus, it's spring training, they still gotta play 162 games.

yes. getting run out of an organization that prides it's self on apathy after one season is not a good thing.

but like i said... a douchebag might be what the yankees need to get them fired up again. orrr his douchebaggery could combine with pitching issues into an absolute disaster. either way it'll be a heck of a time.

Oh yeah it'll be a heck of a time in 2008.

This will be the farewell season for both NY baseball stadiums, so there will be a lot of "lasts" this season.

Plus, you know I'm hoping for a Subway Series. Haha.

capt.32091c0d15724407b6d39e2e2fbda724.pirates_yankees_spring_baseball_crystal_flkw114.jpg

capt.885818af54b446dd896594eb5110bf6d.pirates_yankees_spring_baseball_crystal_flkw116.jpg

the whiiiiiiiiiif

I saw the replay a couple times and I'm semi-sure Shelley Duncan was attempting to spike Iwamura's nuts on that play. Doesn't help that Aki is a little guy, it's probably more like knees on a bigger guy. Glad to see the Rays are beefing with a new team this year, I was getting sick of Sox/Rays dust-ups frankly; somebody was bound to get hurt.

Wow, Doug Mirabelli got cut. Maybe the Padres will sign him and trade him for Jacoby Ellsbury in May :wink:

CTU2fan said:
I saw the replay a couple times and I'm semi-sure Shelley Duncan was attempting to spike Iwamura's nuts on that play. Doesn't help that Aki is a little guy, it's probably more like knees on a bigger guy. Glad to see the Rays are beefing with a new team this year, I was getting sick of Sox/Rays dust-ups frankly; somebody was bound to get hurt.

you can drop the semi.

the first signs of the joe girardi era being a disaster have poked up... girardi still refuses to say that what duncan did was wrong, after he went ape shit over a clean play by the rays player the other day with the catcher and all... meanwhile some of the torre vets have come out to say that what duncan did was, in fact, wrong.

:hmm:

I thought it was bush. I was pissy about ARod's elbow in the general area of Pedroia's man parts last year and this was way worse.

And I'm thinking Joba's headhunting tendencies might be encouraged under Girardi...this could be a fun year.

KBRY said:
Billy Crystal? Now that is just sad!:lol: Any particular reason given??

Sure, it's called doing something called "having fun". A remarkable concept, right?

Billy Crystal is a diehard, lifelong fan of the Yankees and the Yankees' organization (prompted by Yankees' Captain, Derek Jeter) decided to reward Billy by making him an "official" Yankee for a day. So, they signed Billy to a one day minor league pact and gave him one official at-bat during a previously uneventful exhibition game. Crystal was the starting DH in the game. He wore number 60 to signify his 60 years on this planet.

During the offseason, Jeter had asked what he might've wanted for his 60th birthday and Crystal said something along the lines of wanting at least one at-bat as a NY Yankee. Jeter, of course, made it happen.

I warn you, this trend of "having fun" might circulate throughout MLB, so watch out.

MrPryck2U said:

Sure, it's called doing something called "having fun". A remarkable concept, right?

Billy Crystal is a diehard, lifelong fan of the Yankees and the Yankees' organization (prompted by Yankees' Captain, Derek Jeter) decided to reward Billy by making him an "official" Yankee for a day. So, they signed Billy to a one day minor league pact and gave him one official at-bat during a previously uneventful exhibition game. Crystal was the starting DH in the game. He wore number 60 to signify his 60 years on this planet.

During the offseason, Jeter had asked what he might've wanted for his 60th birthday and Crystal said something along the lines of wanting at least one at-bat as a NY Yankee. Jeter, of course, made it happen.

I warn you, this trend of "having fun" might circulate throughout MLB, so watch out.

AWW...bless! Any other geriatrics lined up to take part? Or is it only multi-millionaires with connections?

As for fun, it would be a lot more fun if it was some kids from less respectable neighborhoods who would appreciate it a lot more.

KBRY said:

AWW...bless! Any other geriatrics lined up to take part? Or is it only multi-millionaires with connections?

As for fun, it would be a lot more fun if it was some kids from less respectable neighborhoods who would appreciate it a lot more.

See, the fun continues! I thought your post was very funny. Good stuff!

I vote only multi-millionaires with connections, though.

Kids are overrated. Let some adults have fun for once. Haha!

Imagine if he had hit one out? Now that would be funny.

Maybe I can get to strike out for the Mets when I am 60.

Hey Garth Brooks got to strike out a bunch of times for the Padres...

Yeah, I'll miss a month. Kinda sucks 'cause I'll miss our first series vs. the Boston Red Nex and I was lookin' forward to drillin' Big Plopi in the ribs.

Ah well, get 'em next time. heh heh. :wink:

John Lackey said:
Yeah, I'll miss a month. Kinda sucks 'cause I'll miss our first series vs. the Boston Red Nex
Well thats good for your ERA John, cause you're usually good for 6 or 7 runs in about 4 innings against the Sox.
Heal up, we need to see you at Fenway, love to watch the homers fly when you're on the mound.

Sox players threatening to boycott Japan if the coaches aren't paid. Good for them I say, glad to see the players standing up for their coaches like that. My guess is MLB caves, as they should.

CTU2fan said:
Sox players threatening to boycott Japan if the coaches aren't paid. Good for them I say, glad to see the players standing up for their coaches like that. My guess is MLB caves, as they should.

Agreed, I don't like the Sox much (don't dislike them either, really), but they have always had a fine organization, and I'm glad the team is showing solidarity. This bodes well for Boston's season because it's only going to bring the team closer together.

I think it says a lot about Terry Francona, that the players are going to bat for him & his staff.

Back
Top Bottom