MLB Offseason Thread: 2007-2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phillyfan26 said:
Phils should be focused on the Wild Card unless the Mets falter.

Piss off. No team should EVER focus on not winning outright before the season starts. I don't care if they're up against the greatest on-paper team to ever play baseball. When you're a professional, you play to WIN, not to come second.

:tsk:

The Phillies have the tools to win the NL East. The Mets are the favourites, sure - but of all people, Headache should know damn well that "favourite" and "underdog" mean very little when the underdog believes they can win and plays like it.

At the very least, it's going to be a dog fight. No way the Mets are going to win the division by more than a half-dozen games, if they do.

As an aside, the cheesesteak I had at CBP was awesome.

I'm not saying they should from the get-go, but I think it will happen pretty quickly.

Also, it's favorite. :madspit:

zonelistener said:

Citi Field isn't much better. Anytime you sell off the naming rights, it is going to have a bad ring to it. Even when the name isn't sold, you could have a crappy name: Hubert H. Humphrey Dome.

it could be a hell of a lot worse than CitiField... at least it sorta sounds like it's based on new york city... ya know... city field. it could be something like WaMu Stadium or Fidelity Investments Field, which wouldn't be good for anyone.

bloomberg's working on getting Citi to pony up money to put their name on the subway stop. it's the willets point/shea stadium stop now... if they want to put the Citi name on the subway stop they're actually gonna have to pay for the rights. this is why bloomberg's a kagilionaire... he comes up with ideas like this.

i did make the comment to a met fan friend who was complaining about how stadiums/arenas named after banks change names all the time... at least its CitiBank, not like they're going anywhere anytime soon.

two weeks later they cut 25% of their workforce due to the sub prime crunch. :hi5:

DaveC said:

Piss off. No team should EVER focus on not winning outright before the season starts. I don't care if they're up against the greatest on-paper team to ever play baseball. When you're a professional, you play to WIN, not to come second.

:tsk:

The Phillies have the tools to win the NL East. The Mets are the favourites, sure - but of all people, Headache should know damn well that "favourite" and "underdog" mean very little when the underdog believes they can win and plays like it.

At the very least, it's going to be a dog fight. No way the Mets are going to win the division by more than a half-dozen games, if they do.

As an aside, the cheesesteak I had at CBP was awesome.

obviously the one thing you can't measure is heart. the mets didn't play with any last year. they expected to win and thought all they had to do was show up and they were so good that they'll just win anyway.

if they do that again this year? obviously they'll be in deep shit. if they play with the type of desperation that they did in 2006 right from day 1? baring injury i'd expect them to win 100+ games.

but, alas, this is why they play the games.

either way, it's about time that the rivalry that should have been but never was has finally taken off. only took 36 years.

oh, and citizen's bank is a splendid ballpark. one of the best i've been to. it's especially nice when it's filled with 25% met fans :wink:

Last edited:
ok i just checked my e-mail, and one thing about the mets that makes you friggin gag is their marketing campaigns... from the constant plugging of endy chavez's catch last year (um, we lost dumbasses) to the whole "your postseason is here" thing a month before the playoffs... sometimes you want them to just shut the F up.

the reason for this latest rant against mets marketing? the newest ticket package that i got an e-mail about...

txt_teamtobeat_500x130.gif

Get the same Upper Reserved seating
when you come see Jimmy Rollins
and the NL East Champion Phillies
twice, plus each of the Mets' other
division foes, with this five-game
Mets Value Pack.
"Team To Beat" Pack
Fri. 4/25 7:10 p.m. ATL
Tue. 5/13 7:10 p.m. WAS
Thu. 7/24 12:10 p.m. PHI
Fri. 8/8 7:10 p.m. FLA
Fri. 9/5 7:10 p.m. PHI

:rolleyes: gimmie a break

From ESPN:

"Andy is one of the greatest human beings I've ever met," Rodriguez said. "I have two daughters -- well, I have one and one on the way. If I had a daughter, I would want 'em to marry Andy Pettitte. The age difference might be a little awkward, but in today's day and age anything is possible."

Yes, that is A-Rod speaking. I really have no comment to make, other than to say that the quote is hilarious.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
sloppy cock coming out of your mouth sounds dirty.

Pretty sure anything I might respond to that would end up getting me warned, banned, and detained at Guantanamo...

So, Prince Fielder is a vegetarian.

So...5 years later Theo Epstein finally lands Bartolo Colon. And he didn't even have to give up Casey Fossum and Shea Hillenbrand. Maybe next year the Sox will get Javier Vazquez...

I must be a moron...I thought that was to have a retractable roof.

Could we emergency-unban U2Kitten to clear that up?

The Minnesota Gophers new Stadium will also be an outdoor stadium. TCF Bank Stadium, right on their campus. Outdoors. Outside.

No more Metrodome for them.

In the Fall. Out of doors.

CTU2fan said:
So...5 years later Theo Epstein finally lands Bartolo Colon. And he didn't even have to give up Casey Fossum and Shea Hillenbrand. Maybe next year the Sox will get Javier Vazquez...

I think Wilton Veras for Vazquez would be a good deal.

the original design had a retractable roof... apparently it was too expensive so they went without one.

them there games is gonna be chilly.

Are you doubting thr toughness of baseball players? :wink:

dear zoney,

the twins new stadium is very nice and all, and it's about time that they got one, but i have to say... are they friggin insaine with building an outdoor stadium in minnesota?

A few things to factor in:

Before there was such a thing as the sucktastic Metrodome, there was this thing called Metropolitan Stadium. So, from 1961 to 1982, Major League Baseball was played outside. That was before Al Gore invented Global Warming - so the Springs were REALLY bad and stuff - like a Queens winter.

The stadium will have heat that will keep the seating areas warm. April will suck, but Minnesotans are a hardy bunch. And the worst blizzard I can remember in Minnesota at least waited to fall until one week AFTER the Twins won the World Series in 1991. :up:

As a Twins fan, I would rather freeze my ass off during a few games in April rather than sit through a perfectly beautiful Summer afternoon/evening in that friggin dome that smells like you are doing backstrokes in a pool of two-day old hot dog water.

Ew does it really smell like hot dog water in there? That's gross. I confess I've been in exactly one dome (not counting the storied Gampel Pavilion on the University of Connecticut campus in Storrs). It was the Astrodome and it smelled vaguely of popcorn. But hot dog water? You'd think it could at least smell like Twinkies :wink:

While I agree that a stadium up north, in the summer, you'd want it to be open-air...but spring/fall can be pretty ugly. It's all about the retractable roof though. Fenway can be a bitch for those early April dates (though a roof on Fenway would make me gag).

Back
Top Bottom