MLB Offseason Thread: 2007-2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
i honestly don't think it was the dog fighting that made people hate vick... more so the dog drowning and electricuting that did him in.

if it turns out that pedro has been drowning cocks, i'm sure the outrage will be greater.

That's why people hate him, and part of why he's in jail, but the main reason he's out of the league is that he was involved in gambling/betting on the dogs. If we find out that Pedro has been betting on his cock being the largest, or the longest lasting during its performance, he may face similiar problems as Vick.

Butterscotch said:

If we find out that Pedro has been betting on his cock being the largest, or the longest lasting during its performance, he may face similiar problems as Vick.
Whereas it was out of the US and legal (I imagine betting on your cock must also be legal if cock to cock combat is legal), then I don't see anything coming from Bud Selig other than maybe a warning to avoid unseemly types who may be involved with these cock fights, much like the NBA had no real recourse for Michael Jordan dropping a couple million on blackjack in Atlantic City.

If Rooster fighting is legal there, than I would imagine that Pedro shouldn't have a problem in the US or MLB. But, I agree that he should be advised to stay away from such activities since its illegal in the US and some of his fans might have a problem with it.

Even if the cock fighting is legal there, isn't gambling in any country a conflict of interest for anyone who plays professional sports in the US?

What I really need to know is, did Pedro's cock win, or was it beaten?

Butterscotch said:
Even if the cock fighting is legal there, isn't gambling in any country a conflict of interest for anyone who plays professional sports in the US?

Unless it involves the athlete's career, why would it be?

speedracer said:

Unless it involves the athlete's career, why would it be?

Because betting on dogs didn't involve Vick's career, but it got him into trouble anyway. Yes, he's hated and going to jail for killing the dogs, but it was the fighting and the gambling involved that got him put out of the NFL.

You didn't answer my second question. I want to know if Pedro's cock got beat.

Butterscotch said:

Because betting on dogs didn't involve Vick's career, but it got him into trouble anyway. Yes, he's hated and going to jail for killing the dogs, but it was the fighting and the gambling involved that got him put out of the NFL.

The problem with Vick wasn't the gambling per se, it was the fact that running a dogfighting ring in the US is a felony. Cockfighting and wagering on it is not a crime in the DR, so far as I know.

As Hewson has remarked before, plenty of athletes gamble legally on events unrelated to their profession.

I must defer to Hewson and Headache's expertise on this matter.

Butterscotch said:

Wow, this thread has gone off on a tangent....

But to answer your question, yes, Pedro's cock got beat :ohmy:

Hewson said:
The question that begs answering is how/when did this injury occur?

Curt has gone on the record and said that he passed all the physical exams the Red Sox administered to him when he re-signed.

I suppose it is possible that he tried to hide a more severe injury when he signed the contract as some members of the press are speculating, but until there is specific evidence otherwise I am inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

speedracer said:

Curt has gone on the record and said that he passed all the physical exams the Red Sox administered to him when he re-signed.

I suppose it is possible that he tried to hide a more severe injury when he signed the contract as some members of the press are speculating, but until there is specific evidence otherwise I am inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.
If thats the case, then isn't it a non baseball related injury and also a potential breach of contract?

I mean, either it was hurt when he signed and he covered it up, a definite breach, or he hurt it washing Jeff Kent's truck...also a breach...so I don't see where Curt has any right to his cash if he doesn't follow the Sox team doctors' recommendations.

Hewson said:
or he hurt it washing Jeff Kent's truck

Or cockfighting with Pedro

So in light of this Curt Schilling news is there any regret on the Sox' part not making a Santana deal? Or do you suppose they're comfortable slotting Clay Buchholz in. Funny how that "one too many starters" thing always seems to sort itself out...unless you trade one of them for Wily Mo Pena, in which case you can count on 3 starters going down leaving you pinning your hopes on Devern Hansack and David Pauley.

Butterscotch said:

What I really need to know is, did Pedro's cock win, or was it beaten?

the NCAA used to always tell us that legal betting on inanimate objects and animals is A.O.K., where as betting on human sporting events is against the rules. the same standards apply to professional teams. thus then betting in Atlantic City or Vegas or Churchill Downs and Belmont is perfectly OK, whereas betting on the Super Bowl or the NCAA Tournament is a direct violation of the rules (although in professional sports you are legaly allowed to gamble on other sports, just not your own... but it is frowned upon).

cock fighting may be illegal and moraly wrong to many of us in the states, but it is 100% legal in the DR. :shrug:

CTU2fan said:

Or cockfighting with Pedro

So in light of this Curt Schilling news is there any regret on the Sox' part not making a Santana deal? Or do you suppose they're comfortable slotting Clay Buchholz in. Funny how that "one too many starters" thing always seems to sort itself out...unless you trade one of them for Wily Mo Pena, in which case you can count on 3 starters going down leaving you pinning your hopes on Devern Hansack and David Pauley.

I think the Sox are comfortable with the youngsters they have. Beckett, Dice-K, and Wakefield are firmly in place at 1-3, and Lester is a solid 4 who I predict will have a strong year now that he has been cancer free for over a year and appears to be in much better conditioning. And Buchholz is worthy of the 5 spot for now.

^ Yep I'm pretty much cool with that. Add in JT as the 6th/swingman and I think we're good, I know there was talk of trading Julian but I'd think this kills that idea.

I suppose theoretically they could move Coco for an arm if they're worried about how many innings Clay throws, or about Wake's age & back, or about Julian wearing down...I'd rather that than sign any of the crap that's still on the FA market. I mean seriously, Kyle Lohse? In the AL East? Yikes. I suppose Colon is still out there, he could have El Guapo's old jerseys...

Hewson said:
If thats the case, then isn't it a non baseball related injury and also a potential breach of contract?

I mean, either it was hurt when he signed and he covered it up, a definite breach, or he hurt it washing Jeff Kent's truck...also a breach...so I don't see where Curt has any right to his cash if he doesn't follow the Sox team doctors' recommendations.

Well, if Curt injured his shoulder while participating in non-baseball activities, I would have guessed he hurt it while blogging or playing Warcraft. But it is also very possible that he hurt it while working out during the offseason.

appears as if the mets are desperate for bullpen help...

capt.44b31cb041674888810a968bbf5112aa.people_billy_joel_nyjd104.jpg

Schilling's overrated at this point in his career, anyway. We've got more significant problems with Kelvim's arm. He won't be ready to start the season.

Still have 5 solid pitchers, though. :wink:

See ya this season, Boston. :wink:

It's being reported that Brian McNamee has said that Roger Clemens' wife Debbie also took HGH.

Next up, Clemens' kids.

Stay tuned.

MrPryck2U said:
It's being reported that Brian McNamee has said that Roger Clemens' wife Debbie also took HGH.

Next up, Clemens' kids.

Stay tuned.

Please tell me he didn't save Debbie's bloody gauze pads :(

Today the Yankees have announced that the name of their new stadium is going to be called ...Yankee Stadium.

That's right, the Yankees' new stadium will be sponsored by no one.

So, does anyone care that the Mariners got Bedard from the Orioles today? The Mariners now have a pretty sweet starting rotation with Felix Hernandez, Erik Bedard, Carlos Silva, Jarrod Washburn, and Miguel Batista.... Add in a pretty damn good bullpen (Brandon Morrow, Eric O'Flaherty, Sean Green, Arthur Rhodes, Horacio Ramirez, R.A. Dickey, and JJ Putz) and the Mariners are pretty well set on the pitching side of things!

I like the move for Seattle but Sherrill was a big part of their pen last year. Key is what Jones turns out to be...and what the O's get for Roberts because you know he's going next.

Do the Ms really have RA Dickey? Didn't he used to throw that Thing? Does he still throw it?

Back
Top Bottom