MLB Offseason Thread: 2007-2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yankee SS's between Dent and Jeter, at least the ones I recall:

Andre Robertson (he died in a car accident on the West Side Highway)
Bobby Meachem (Who is their new 3B coach, I think)
Rafael Santana (Thanks, Mets)
Kevin Elster (Thanks, Mets)
Tony Fernandez
Alvaro Espinoza (Rizzuto loved him)
Randy Velarde (Fielded the grounder that was the last out of Jim Abbott's no-hitter)
Mike Gallego
Wayne Tolleson
Roy Smalley
Paul Zuvella

There might be more.

I remember when he got it into his accident. The Yanks, at the time, were highly touting him as a great shortstop. Andre, though, was all glove and no bat. But, that was the way things were back then. All the guys you listed weren't really known for their batting.

oye como va

The Mets have announced that contract extension negotiations with Johan Santana have finished and the trade will be finalized pending player physicals.

Santana is expected to receive a six-year extension, from 2009 through 2014, for about $22 million a year. He will also get a signing bonus of roughly $7 million, which, added to his 2008 salary of $13.25 million, will push the total package over $150 million. SI.com first reported these details, which the source confirmed.

:dance::dance:

bono.gif
johan.gif
bono.gif

:dance::dance:

:happy:

That's a lot of cashola for a #2 starter :)

Seriously, good deal for the Mets, you have to make them the NL favorites I'd think especially if Johan and The Loaded Right Arm Of God can stay healthy.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

ah it's alright... you guys still have jamie moyer.

:giggle:

Cole Hamels, anyone?

If he plays to his potential, I think he has a shot at being at least as good as Santana this year.

DaveC said:

Cole Hamels, anyone?

If he plays to his potential, I think he has a shot at being at least as good as Santana this year.

:giggle:

santana had a lower ERA, more strikeouts, a lower WHIP, similar walk numbers, and the same number of wins... playing for a significantly worse team than hamels in the american league, where it is significantly harder to pitch. a 3.33 era in the AL equates to about a 2.60 in the NL.

yes, santana has significantly more loses... but again, he played for a non playoff contender. and when a pitcher has the sort of stats that he has and still picks up 13 loses, it tells you a few obvious things... 1, no run support in minnesota (won't be an issue now)... 2, he eats innings.

health is always an issue with pitchers... but if johan stays healthy he will win his third cy young this year.

hamels had a good year last year... but he needs to do a bit more than have one good season before we put him in the same class with a two time cy young award winner, who still isn't thirty and oh by the way is only 4 years older than hamels.

Last edited:
Yes. Johan Santana has the Arm of God and the Mets ought to just be handed the NL pennant now. There is no need to play the season.

Christ on a frickin' rope. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom