MLB Offseason Thread: 2007-2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
e-bay certainly doesn't waist any time...

020503.jpg

“The Mets are not only getting a Cy Young winner, but an absolute bulldog who’s great in the clubhouse. He’s going to dominate that league. They’re going to absolutely love him in New York…I know he’s happy, too, because he really wanted to go to the Mets. He’s always wanted to swing the wood. He can hit…So I don’t know who’s happier, Johan, the Mets, or everyone in the American League because they don’t have to face him anymore.”
--Torii Hunter

"I don’t think this makes [the Mets] the class of the division."
--Tom Glavine doing his best Tiki Barber

santana_2.gif

:giggle:

Last edited:
Hewson said:
if I'm a Twins fan...not so much. Highway robbery.

To an extent. I agree they should have received at least ONE "non-prospect" player, but Johan gave the Twins a deadline of Jan. 29 to get a deal done (remember, he has a no trade clause). If they do not get a deal done...they may just lose him to free agency and get NOTHING for him.

It might suck, but it is also better than nothing.

I am happy to see Johan as a Met. He had hell of a game (batting) against the Mets this summer. It will be fun to see him at the plate.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
e-bay certainly doesn't waist any time...

020503.jpg

:up:

I also think Omar will get the contract extension sorted. They must have had a plan before negotiating the trade otherwise it will all go for nothing.

zonelistener said:

To an extent. I agree they should have received at least ONE "non-prospect" player, but Johan gave the Twins a deadline of Jan. 29 to get a deal done (remember, he has a no trade clause). If they do not get a deal done...they may just lose him to free agency and get NOTHING for him.

It might suck, but it is also better than nothing.

I am happy to see Johan as a Met. He had hell of a game (batting) against the Mets this summer. It will be fun to see him at the plate.
If they just pulled the trigger in December instead of trying to hold the Yanks and Red Sox over a barrel trying to one-up the other's offer, they could have gotten a much better deal from either...so in my eyes they royally F'ed this thing up.

Compare the Mets package to Ellsbury, Masterson, Lowrie and Bowden...its like .40-.50 on the dollar.
Compare it to Lester, Crisp, Lowrie and Bowden, its like .50-.60 on the dollar.
Compare it to Hughes, Melky and one other prospect its like .60-.70 on the dollar.

The Twins bluffed, and got caught holding jack high, and in return got jack sh*t.

And "nothing" may have actually been better, we can't know for sure, but the draft picks they'd get when Carlos left as a free agent have the potential to add up to more than the Mets prospects, plus they'd have Santana for 2008, and if Liriano is healthy, might have had one last legit run at the WS, whereas I think you can pencil them in for 4th in the division now.

Its almost Herschel Walker in reverse. Its certainly on a similar level as the Sox/Expos incredibly one sided Pedro deal.

Hewson said:
If they just pulled the trigger in December instead of trying to hold the Yanks and Red Sox over a barrel trying to one-up the other's offer, they could have gotten a much better deal from either...so in my eyes they royally F'ed this thing up.

Compare the Mets package to Ellsbury, Masterson, Lowrie and Bowden...its like .40-.50 on the dollar.
Compare it to Lester, Crisp, Lowrie and Bowden, its like .50-.60 on the dollar.
Compare it to Hughes, Melky and one other prospect its like .60-.70 on the dollar.

The Twins bluffed, and got caught holding jack high, and in return got jack sh*t.

And "nothing" may have actually been better, we can't know for sure, but the draft picks they'd get when Carlos left as a free agent have the potential to add up to more than the Mets prospects, plus they'd have Santana for 2008, and if Liriano is healthy, might have had one last legit run at the WS, whereas I think you can pencil them in for 4th in the division now.

Its almost Herschel Walker in reverse. Its certainly on a similar level as the Sox/Expos incredibly one sided Pedro deal.

:happy:

jayson stark's reporting that the mets and johan are still far apart on a contract, but the odds of the deal falling apart completely are remote.

:pray:

if the mets allow this deal to fall apart... with the absolute steal that it was, after the complete choke job of september and the raising of ticket prices for next year...

ugh... let's not even discuss what my reaction would be.

Your weekend could go very well (Santana signed to an extension Friday, Giants win SB Sunday),

or it could go incredibly poorly (Santana back to Twins when Friday deadline passes, bucket of balls and 3 water bottles back to Mets to forever wallow in anonimity in the minors, Pats stomp the Giants on Sunday)

Man what a rollercoaster of possibilities.

zonelistener said:

Because of ONE Pitcher? That is a bit extreme...I did not realize he could pitch every game.

fourth? They play in the same division as K.C.

They finished in 3rd last year, and the team behind them, the White Sox, have improved, or at least tried to, while the Twins lost their ace.

I'd say 4th place as well, ahead of KC.

No spoken words said:

They finished in 3rd last year, and the team behind them, the White Sox, have improved, or at least tried to, while the Twins lost their ace.

I'd say 4th place as well, ahead of KC.

Although not very impressive, the Twins finished 79-83. Johan pitched in 33 games and won 15 of them.

I cannot imagine that losing Johan means the end of the Twins. They will find a way to be competitive.

phanan said:
They always seem to bring up new people who make an impact, so I wouldn't count them out. Anything is possible.

But it might take a year or so for them to make the playoffs again.

Much agreed. The Tigers have built an impressive team, and you also have the Indians in the Central.

Oh, the Twins do indeed do a good job of making the most of a limited payroll, but I do not think it's a stretch to think they could drop one place in the standings after losing their ace. He doesn't just win games, he eats up innings and keeps the middle relief from going out there, which is an overlooked thing, I think. Also, he's supposedly amazing in the clubhouse.

And, you lost Torii Hunter.

That does not make them right, nor does it mean his loss helps the Twins.

They need to coax Knoblauch out of retirement/seclusion, maybe grab him when he appears before the Grand Jury or whatnot.

Back
Top Bottom