MLB Lukewarm Stove Edition - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2006, 09:44 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:48 AM
The Cleveland Plain Dealer says the trade is done.

Quote:
Done deal: Indians trade Crisp to Red Sox

8:37 p.m.

Paul Hoynes
Plain Dealer Reporter

The Coco Crisp trade is done, pending the approval of baseball Commissioner Bud Selig.

Left-hander Arthur Rhodes' physical was the only thing delaying the three-team deal, but the Phillies were expected to make the acquisition of the veteran reliever official at 8 p.m.

The Indians received outfielder Jason Michaels in exchange for Rhodes.That allowed the Indians to send Crisp, switch-hitting catcher Josh Bard and right-hander David Riske to Boston for third base prospect Andy Marte, catcher Kelly Shoppach, right-hander Guillermo Mota, cash and a player to be named. Boston right-hander Manny Delcarmen was not included in the deal.

The Indians will receive at least $1 million from the Red Sox. The exact amount is not known, but the commissioner must approve any deal in which more than $1 million in cash is involved.

The trade, which stalled in midweek, regained momentum Friday morning when Rhodes flew to Philadelphia for a physical.

The Associated Press reported the Indians agreed to Rhodes for Michaels portion of the trade pending his physical.Michaels will replace Crisp in left field.

The Indians believe Marte, scheduled to open the season at Class AAA Buffalo, will be their third baseman of the future. They think he could develop into the middle-of-the-order right-handed hitter they've lacked. Shoppach hit 26 homers at Class AAA Pawtucket last year. He will compete to be Victor Martinez's backup.The player to be named would come from a list of prospects made available to the Indians.

Old 01-29-2006, 06:28 PM   #77
Blue Crack Distributor

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- All-Star catcher Mike Piazza agreed Sunday to a $2 million, one-year free agent contract with the San Diego Padres, giving the defending NL West champions a marquee player they think can still contribute.

Piazza, 37, had considered joining an AL team as a designated hitter, but instead will return to the West Coast for the first time since the Los Angeles Dodgers traded him to the Florida Marlins in 1998.

The deal includes a mutual option for 2007 at $8 million.

Even with Piazza's production at the plate declining, his 19 homers with the New York Mets last season were more than any Padres player hit. Piazza holds the major league record for most career home runs by a catcher.

"The Padres told Mike that he could pretty much catch as much as he wanted to," said Piazza's agent, Dan Lozano.

Piazza is hoping to catch about 90-100 games this season, along with playing some first base and being the DH in interleague games.

Old 01-29-2006, 07:35 PM   #78
War Child

Local Time: 11:48 AM
I saw that over an hour ago and BAHHHHH. Babe Rith would have a hard time hitting in that stadium. Its a cavern. Yea you get to go to COlorado and Arizona a bit more.

Oh Well.....................Prove me wrong and club 20-30 dingers and hit .280-.290
Old 01-29-2006, 09:49 PM   #79
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
SAN DIEGO (AP) -- All-Star catcher Mike Piazza agreed Sunday to a $2 million, one-year free agent contract with the San Diego Padres, giving the defending NL West champions a marquee player they think can still contribute.

Piazza, 37, had considered joining an AL team as a designated hitter, but instead will return to the West Coast for the first time since the Los Angeles Dodgers traded him to the Florida Marlins in 1998.

The deal includes a mutual option for 2007 at $8 million.

Even with Piazza's production at the plate declining, his 19 homers with the New York Mets last season were more than any Padres player hit. Piazza holds the major league record for most career home runs by a catcher.

"The Padres told Mike that he could pretty much catch as much as he wanted to," said Piazza's agent, Dan Lozano.

Piazza is hoping to catch about 90-100 games this season, along with playing some first base and being the DH in interleague games.
Mikey's been longing to come "home" for a while...the Padre crowd will warm to him quickly despite his former Dodger ties...he should do good there in the cooler weather, new stadium, great party town...he and Eric Karros still owns property up in Manhattan Beach
Old 01-29-2006, 11:03 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

he will struggle horribly in that ballpark. bad move for him productivity wise...but i'd go play in san diego any day of the week myself.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:32 AM   #81
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:48 PM
Now that the Bosox have their centerfielder, they need to get a shortstop.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:10 AM   #82
Blue Crack Distributor

i want to know who, exactly, is running the ship out in san diego? you trade loretta for mirabelli, and then go and sign mike piazza.

now all be it, loretta's numbers were down last year... but he was hurt and that is a crappy hitter's ballpark. but if you wanna trade him, fine... trade him. but why trade him for a catcher if you're only gonna go out and sign mike piazza? hell ya fleeced the mets to get mike cameron... they need a second baseman, i'm sure omar would have taken mark loretta off your hands and probably given you a prospect to boot.

best of luck for mike, but i don't think this is going to go well for him.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:16 AM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Why would Piazza stay in the NL? Why? If he's healthy, the guy can still hit. Better to be a full-time DH who can be an emergency backup at first and catcher rather than a full-time backup.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:46 AM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

The Padres appear to be stockpiling catchers.

Piazza has got to be playing some 1B for this to make any sense whatsoever.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:55 AM   #85
Blue Crack Distributor

i think the whole "piazza will hit again if he becomes a DH" thing is a bit over-rated. sure, i think it would help a little, but frankly at this point i just think he's done and it doesn't matter.

piazza has never had the perfect baseball swing... in fact, his swing is fundamentaly very flawed... he's entirely upper body, very little use of his legs in driving the ball. but piazza was just a freak, so he could get away with it. it's a testiment to just exactly how strong he is/was. as he's getting up in age, he's just naturally slowing down... so while he can still get a hold of one from time to time and send it a long way, those times are few and far between. if he had a more normal type swing perhaps he could still put up big numbers... but when your bat speed goes, it goes... it's almost impossible to get back.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:56 AM   #86
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
The Padres appear to be stockpiling catchers.

Piazza has got to be playing some 1B for this to make any sense whatsoever.
if you saw mike attempt to play first base with the mets, you'd rethink that statement.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:00 AM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i think the whole "piazza will hit again if he becomes a DH" thing is a bit over-rated. sure, i think it would help a little, but frankly at this point i just think he's done and it doesn't matter.
Perhaps, but it's still preferrable to staying in the NL.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:30 AM   #88
ONE
love, blood, life

given today's market and the fact that piazza hit 19 hrs which was great compared to other catchers in 2005, I'm suprised he only got 2 million....
Old 01-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #89
ONE
love, blood, life

looks like the Devil Rays want to change their name....possibly removing the word "Devil".....

anything would help them i suppose........
Old 01-30-2006, 05:43 PM   #90
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:48 AM
Maybe in his mind, since its a one-year deal he'll get the Angel's attention for their DH in the following season...