MLB Lukewarm Stove Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
they want to let heilman start and they were tired of having to deal with the anticts of anna benson just over a slighty above average pitcher who's been underachieving his entire career... they trade many times to deal him, finally settled on julio, a hard throwing relief guy who's also underachieved but is only 26 and another young pitchter to boot.

now of course benson's going to have a good year this year and met fans will bitch and moan that it's yet another guy who does better when not in a mets uniform and completely ignore the fact that he'll be pitching for leo mazzone who can turn shit into gold. it's the met fan way.

I agree Benson has been underachieving and the shit with his wife. I just wonder if this trade is partly because of how good Soler has been lately.....this may have been a bit premature. Either way Omar has already made a ton of great deals so Im sure he had his reasons.

As for the second part of your quote, I think I have read the exact same thing from you a million times. If you hate mets fans that much subscribe to a new team. :madspit:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i didn't know i had to take out a subscription.

apparently the stereotypical new york self-depricating woe-is-me met fan doesn't exist up near the canadian border.

wow, this makes no sense with what I have written in all of these threads.

I AM THE stereotypical met fan if they LOVE Burnitz for what he did for the mets and Mike Piazza (see last thread).

I AM THE sterotypical met fan because I was the only one on earth not to shit on Mike Piazza last year.

I AM THE stereotypical met fan becasue I am the only one that did not want Manny on the mets.

yea you make a lot of sense.........

I will bite my tongue from there. You are a tad rude to say the least.

Met fan on Met fan hate is not cool my friend.

have you lived in upstate new york your entire life? if so than it's easy to see why you're getting so angry over a couple of tounge in cheek remarks that were directed baisicly at me, as the only met fan who posts here on a daily basis (with the exception of numb, who's here on a semi-daily basis, and you who's here only when the mets do something).

let's first get one thing out of the way... hate. this is sports. love and hate get tossed around quite a bit. i say i hate red sox fans, but i have quite a few very close friends from college who are, in fact, red sox fans. i don't really hate all of them as a people... so let's calm down just a step.

a large portion of met fans from down here fit into the same M.O. they feel that there is some sort of curse on the mets uniform to make them think that every good player who comes into flushing will turn bad and every frustrating player with the mets will become a superstar once they leave and go somewhere else.

and then there's the rest of us who simply understand that the reasons this happens is because of a) bad management decisions, b) taking players comming off injuries, c) taking players from good hitting parks and bringing them into shea, a bad hitting park, d) consistantly shitting the bed when a can't miss star is available, and finally e) the new york effect... some players simply can't handle it here.

trading lenny dykstra for juan samuel is simply a bad management decision made by frank cashen as he was trying to clean up the image of a team he felt was out of control. bringing in mo vaughn was just stupid. roberto alomar simply broke down. it's not like he had some sort of career revival after the mets finally traded him back to the AL. i would have to think alex rodriguez and vlad guerrero wouldn't have much of a problem hitting the ball out of the shit dump that is shea... and neither would manny ramirez. bobby bonilla they are not. we're talking about hall of famers vs. a borderline all star who was aided by hitting behind barry bonds, yet met fans always bring his name up when talking about bringing stars in. carlos beltran was considered a failure... i don't see him as a failure, i see him as someone who was used inocorectly. he's not a 3 hitter, he's not a homerun hiter, he's a 2 hitter who needs to just slap the ball to all fields and every now and then get enough on it to hit it out. that what made him a great player. as for them overpaying to get him, at that point they needed to overpay, it's the only way they could have gotten him. needless to say if omar was in town one year earlier vlad would be our rightfielder today. pedro martinez is a star, a hall of famer with a personality that can handle high pressure locations. and low and behold he does quite well in new york. same with mike piazza.

carlos delgado? i worry about his personality a little bit, but that's it. he hit in florida, and that parks harder to hit in than shea.

there are a lot of people with very sarcastic, self-depricating, woe-is-me personalities around new york... think george costanza. thus why it's only fitting that there are the same type of met fans... and yankee fans, believe it or not. there are a lot of yankee fans i know who are constantly complaining about something, despite having 26 championships. it's just in their personality.

do i "hate" these people in the truest sense of the world? of course not... two of my best friends... one is a self-hating yankee fan, the other a self-hating met fan who i have a ticket pack with. i do not hate these people, even though i may say it from time to time. soooo, yea.

The hate comment I made was a joke, I would hope you don't hate people you've never talked to or no onthing about. I also wasn't irrate, I just think you presume too much and voiced my opinon. As far as not being here all the time I dont see the need to talk about how Arod might play, won't he play, will he play, etc.. It doesnt interest me. Its cool if it interest others, but I only include myself in things I enjoy talking about and things I know at least a little bit about. But its not only when the mets do something. When I anticipate something or question the lack of a move.

I don't know. I really don't want to discuss this anymore. You jumped on me for the Manny comment a while back and every other time I type something so go a head and analyze this post as well. This is a baseball thread not a who is or isnt being a prick thread.

Carry On.

By the way, anyone still suprized that Molina, Piazza, Thomas and Sosa still are jobless???

I mean its late January. Sosa Im not too surprised at. But the others are a bit odd. I realize Piazza and Thomas do not command lengthy top dollar contracts, but wouldn't someone take a chance on giving them incentive based deals?

if you post something and i disagree with it i'll say so... who makes the post makes no difference to me.

the only one of those 3 that i'm surprised doesn't have a deal yet is molina. piazza would have a deal if he'd simply agree to just DH, but he's stuck on wanting to catch. thomas is comming off a serious injury and i don't expect him to be signed until spring training. sosa had a terrible year last year, is a pain in the ass in the clubhouse, and is under the same cloud as rafael palmiero.

i heard that sosa might go to the Nats. That would be great for him....in RFK he would be lucky to get into double digits in homers

The Boston Red Sox aren't standing pat this offseason.

The Red Sox, who lost to the Chicago White Sox in the American League Division Series last season, reached agreement in principle with the Cleveland Indians to acquire outfielder Coco Crisp, the Boston Herald reported Sunday, citing unnamed sources.

The Red Sox would send third base prospect Andy Marte and reliever Guillermo Mota to the Indians, the newspaper reported.

brilliant!

RademR said:
i heard that sosa might go to the Nats. That would be great for him....in RFK he would be lucky to get into double digits in homers

Haha!!
Really thought, I'm sad to see his career end like this. He did lots for the Cubbies. But man, when he had to stop using those durn performance enhancing drugs, things really changed. :shrug:

...not to mention corked bats. :)

I like the Benson trade.

Talk about under achiever....

I think this is the year that Heilman will step up and give us 14 wins. I don't think Kris will live up to his potential, even w/ Leo in Baltimore.

I will miss naughty Santa Ana though.....

:sad:

The Globe has a different variation of the Crisp deal, which gives the Red Sox David Riske as well, which I like a bit better than the Herald version:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/01/23/source_sox_agree_to_crisp_deal/
Source: Sox agree to Crisp deal
Six players to be involved in swap
By Chris Snow, Globe Staff | January 23, 2006

The Red Sox, according to a source with knowledge of the deal, have reached agreement in principle with the Indians on a complex six-player deal centered upon 26-year-old Coco Crisp that also will bring to town a quality setup man in 28-year-old David Riske and young catcher Josh Bard.

Boston will ship top prospect Andy Marte, reliever Guillermo Mota, and catcher Kelly Shoppach to Cleveland. The deal is contingent upon physicals. The only player in the deal with a known and recent injury issue is Mota, who missed a month last season with the Marlins because of inflammation in his throwing elbow.

It's possible Mota's medical records could raise enough concern that the deal would be killed or reworked. However, consummating the deal has required more than 75 phone calls between the clubs in the last month, and it's likely, given the time and energy committed, that if a problem were to be detected during a physical, the teams would try to revise the package of players.

Because of the need to exchange and carefully process medical records, the deal is unlikely to be announced any sooner than the middle or end of this week.

Furthermore, the Indians don't have an-house successor to Crisp and are believed to have been working on a deal for the Phillies' fourth outfielder, Jason Michaels. If that were to fall through, or if the Indians were unable to get a left fielder to replace Crisp in a concurrent deal, that also could put in peril the Crisp deal, given that Cleveland then would have a gaping hole in his absence.

SURVEY GALLERY: Inside the deal

The Red Sox, provided the deal goes through and they give up Marte, then figure to turn to free agent shortstop Alex Gonzalez, who at last check was believed to be seeking approximately $5 million per season for at least two seasons. The Sox had been pursuing Tampa Bay shortstop Julio Lugo, but Tampa Bay wanted Marte or young pitching in return.

Provided the trade goes through, the Red Sox will have found a capable successor to Johnny Damon, in the field and atop the order, for at least the next four seasons. Crisp, who made $365,000 last season, is likely to land in the neighborhood of $3 million this coming year, either in arbitration or through negotiation, and is set up to earn about $20 million over the next four seasons if he performs as he has. He doesn't become a free agent until after the 2009 season.

Last year, he hit .300 with 16 homers, 42 doubles, 69 RBIs, a .345 OBP, and a .810 OPS (on-base percentage plus slugging) and was named best defensive left fielder by the Hardball Times. He played left rather than center because the Indians have another young talent there in Grady Sizemore. Damon hit .316 with 10 homers, 35 doubles, 75 RBIs, a .366 OBP, and a .805 OPS last season.

Riske, 29, was 3-4 with a 3.10 ERA in 58 games last season. In 72 2/3 innings, he struck out 48 and walked 15, though he did allow 11 home runs for the second consecutive season. He did have a fantastic WHIP -- walks plus hits per innings pitched -- of 0.96.

Among American League relievers last season, only New York's Mariano Rivera (0.87), Cleveland's Bobby Howry (0.89), Chicago's Cliff Politte (0.94), and Toronto's Justin Speier (0.95) posted a better WHIP than Riske. Righties hit just .204 vs. Riske, while lefties didn't do much better, at .213. In six seasons with Cleveland, the righthander is 17-12 with a 3.55 ERA. Riske is signed for one year at $1.8 million and, like Mota, will become a free agent at season's end.

The switching-hitting Bard, 27, has hit .238 with 13 homers and 61 RBIs in 156 major league games over four seasons, including 34 last year. He made just $318,000 last season and would be under the Red Sox' contractual control for several seasons.

First baseman J.T. Snow intends to wear No. 84 with the Red Sox in honor of his father, Jack, the former Rams receiver and broadcaster who died earlier this month from complications of a staph infection.

However they need a CF now, and Marte is good trade bait.
I think Crisp will be a decent fit atop the lineup.
As for Marte, who knows...he could be the next Jeff Bagwell, but then again he could be another Frankie Rodriguez.
The farm system is loaded with quality arms, so I think the future looks good on the pitching end of things, and to me thats more important, you can find a 3B if you need to, quality pitchers are a bit tougher to acquire.
So as long as they don't trade Papelbon, Lester, Delcarman, Hanson etc., I say go fo it.

Theo Epestein is returning to the Red Sox as GM...

I am just curious what is different b/w now and Oct. 31st?

Theo got his time off to tour South America with Pearl Jam, and now his batteries are recharged.

(Funny piece on channel 7 Sports Final Sunday night, repeated on 6:00 news last night explaining Theo's departure and return using live Pearl Jam clips, concluding with his return cause the Sox "can't find a better man".)

caption this picture...

mrmetstraw.jpg

Hey Mr Met, got any blow?

Got Daryl's autograph 2 or 3 years ago along w/ Doc's at an autograph signing session....

New pitching coach for the Atlanta Braves?

Mr Hot Foot himself, Rodger McDowell

I suppose he'd be better than Odibie McDowell....

Hewson said:
However they need a CF now, and Marte is good trade bait.
I think Crisp will be a decent fit atop the lineup.
As for Marte, who knows...he could be the next Jeff Bagwell, but then again he could be another Frankie Rodriguez.
The farm system is loaded with quality arms, so I think the future looks good on the pitching end of things, and to me thats more important, you can find a 3B if you need to, quality pitchers are a bit tougher to acquire.
So as long as they don't trade Papelbon, Lester, Delcarman, Hanson etc., I say go fo it.

There's rumors that Mota failed his physical and that the deal is on hold now...

Funny that Mota passed the Red Sox physical when the Marlins traded him here, but fails the Injuns physical.

Did the Sox take on a guy with a bum shoulder just to trade him, hoping the next taker wouldn't catch on?

Hewson said:
Funny that Mota passed the Red Sox physical when the Marlins traded him here, but fails the Injuns physical.

Did the Sox take on a guy with a bum shoulder just to trade him, hoping the next taker wouldn't catch on?

He probably got damaged in shipping. I blame UPS.

phanan said:
There's rumors that Mota failed his physical and that the deal is on hold now...

Apparently Mota didn't fail, but Cleveland has concerns whether he will make it through the whole year. My guess is that Cleveland had this view all along, and are just posturing in the late hours for Delcarmen instead of Mota. I'm not sure this whole thing will end well for Boston, sure hope I'm wrong.

Looks like the little ache signed with Oakland.

Also espn, newsday and SI have written that Piazza has had talks with the wanks, phils, padres, angels, Indians and jays.

Philly could make sense. Considering hes from Norristown. I think he could still mash in that ballpark.

Back
Top Bottom