MLB Hot Stove time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popacrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
a few good rumors here worth sharing...

ARLINGTON - A trade that would send Alex Rodriguez to Boston for Manny Ramirez is stalled because of the Rangers' insistence that the Red Sox also include serious cash considerations in the deal.

The Red Sox have yet to agree to the Rangers' demands. That could change if the Red Sox are able to trade shortstop Nomar Garciaparra, a deal they are actively pursuing.

Major league officials said Thursday that by trading Garciaparra, who is scheduled to make $11.5 million in 2004, they could free up money to meet the Rangers' financial demands and complete the trade for Rodriguez.

A source said if things fall into place, a deal might be done before the winter meetings start next week in New Orleans.

Ramirez has five years and $97 million left on his eight-year, $160 million contract. Although the Rangers would come out ahead financially on a Rodriguez-for-Ramirez swap, they still want the Red Sox to include at least $2 million to $4 million per year over the next five years. The Rangers would be able to spend that money on pitching.

The Red Sox don't have any young pitching to trade the Rangers, having sent left-hander Casey Fossum and right-hander Jorge De La Rosa to the Arizona Diamondbacks in the Curt Schilling trade. That's why the Rangers are insisting on money that would allow them to be more active in the free-agent market.

Owner Tom Hicks said the only way Rodriguez is traded is if the Rangers can improve their pitching staff. Both Hicks and general manager John Hart have repeated this week a deal for Rodriguez seems unlikely.

"As I said before, we're at where we are," Hart said. "I don't know if there's really anything to talk about."

Much depends on the Red Sox finding someone to take Garciaparra. He can be a free agent after next season, and the Red Sox aren't sure if they'll be able to sign him to a long-term extension. The Anaheim Angels, Los Angeles Dodgers, Seattle Mariners and Baltimore Orioles are looking for help at shortstop.

But all four are looking at Miguel Tejada and Kazuo Matsui, the Japanese All-Star who wants to play in the major leagues next season.

Without additional money, the Rangers have been limited in what they can do in the free agent pitching market. They are still trying to re-sign John Thomson, although his asking price has been $8 million to $9 million over two years.

Club officials said that offering Thomson arbitration is something they will consider.

Rodriguez has a complete no-trade clause but has already indicated to the Rangers that he is willing to accept a trade to Boston. Ramirez doesn't have a no-trade clause that would prevent him from coming to Texas. But he does have a $1 million bonus clause that kicks in if he is traded.

Also, by being traded in the middle of a multi-year contract, Ramirez could demand a trade after one year. If the Rangers failed to trade him by March 15, 2005, Ramirez could choose to become a free agent.

His agent, Jeff Moorad, said this week that Ramirez does not want to be traded and prefers to stay with the Red Sox. Ramirez hit .325 with 37 home runs and 104 runs batted in.

and, from the NY post...

New York Post: "Kazuo Matsui could be a Met within 24 hours. Continuing what's been an aggressive pursuit of the Japanese shortstop, Met GM Jim Duquette confirmed that the club has made Matsui a multiyear offer and expects an answer from him 'in the next 24-48 hours.'"

The Reds hired Dave Miley as thier manager, im not sure if I like it or not. The guy deserved it, but we may need alot more than Miley to win this year....:|

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!

the cardinals have resigned catcher Chris Widger, the last piece of the puzzle baby.

YES!!!! He's off the market, sorry buddy.

I'm envisioning Chris Carpenter and Chris Widger as themost dominating battery tandem in the league next year, leading us to the promised land. Sorry Yankee and Red Sox fans, Schilling, A-Rod, Sheffield, Vasquez, Brown are all good, but you're only playing for second place now.

at least the cards still have a hell of an offense..

but really, if carpenter can be good and they can sign a good front of the rotation starter, tough with limited cash, they can contend again next year. they wont be BAD, but itll be a challenge and a half to catch teh cubs...

im a cards and red sox fan by the way... yes, i have two.

its a sad day in baseball when the cardinals are hoping to be as good as the cubs :sad: :sad: :sad:

indeed it is. but thats what happens when the cubs have 3 better pitchers than the cardinals best.

apparently sheffield really hasnt signed with the yanks yet...

nope.

and colon is an angel. halos shelling out the bucks for pitching; escobar and colon.

hey justified, our poor teams just made a trade

JD Drew and Eli Marrero for King, Marquis, and Wainwright

this is a good deal for both teams, if Drew can stay healthy he is Chiiper Jones part II, but he rarely stays healthy. One time last season after missing a stretch of some games with an injury, the first game back he got injured going down the clubhouse steps. It's pretty sad.

The cardinals get 3 pitchers, including the Braves top prospect in wainwright, plus save 5 million bucks in order to go out and get another pitcher. so i'm liking it.

i love it.

wainwright will be an ace some day... hopefully soon...

i read on the post dispatch website that earlier a possibility of a 3 way between stl/ana/atl could have happened where the cards got washburn and sent marquis to anaheim, i dunno if thatll still happen. although it wouldnt be that bad, i like washburn- give the cardinals a good lefty they'd need too... morris/woody/washburn/haren/carpenter wouldnt be too bad, heard they were after Ponson, Maddux and Suppan too.

cardinals sign reggie sanders...if there were an even thumbs smiley id use that one, he does fill out an of need and comes cheap at 2 years 4 million

millwood has 3 teams he would sign with, the phillies, braves, or cardinals

if it wasnt for paying tino 7 million to play elsewhere and the money we spent on suppan we could have had millwood, its quite sad

hopefully the owners allow walt to open up the check books?

they have before with Rolen, now just do it with millwood. the Cardinals would be very good if they got him... Morris/Millwood/Woody/Suppan/Haren or carp....

but, alas, we'll settle for jason marquis.

at least Wainwright is supposed to turn out as a stud.

Back
Top Bottom