MLB Hot Stove Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pub crawler said:

Don't want Manny. Don't wanna take on that salary for a player of his age and don't wanna give up the halo prospects (which I'm assuming would be top prospects). I hope that 3-way doesn't happen. :|

you sound as crazy as many met fans.

you put manny and vlad back to back and the angels win the world series.

here's to hoping that your GM agrees with you.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

Plus Manny would enjoy playing with the Rally Monkey during pitching changes.

I had to suffer through the years of Autry ownership when every two or three off-seasons we'd pick up some former stud on the backside of his career.

Not to mention Disney's pick-up of Mo Vaughn, which earlier this year Michael Eisner called "the worst hire of his career" (and that's saying something).

Manny's an unbelievable offensive player but he's got maybe -- MAYBE -- two more years of great production, then you're paying him more than $10M per year for 70 rbi's and a lot of bench time due to injuries (always happens with the former-stud free agents).

Two years ago the Angels paid Kevin Appier $16M for the priveledge of dumping him. Aaron Sele made unbelievable money to be an ineffective pitcher for the halos.

I'm done with paying guys 33 or older $10M a year, UNLESS you can get a guy like Manny for no more than 3 years and you don't have to give up your best prospects, which ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:
What??

Seriously, put Manny on the 2005 Angels and they probably win the World Series.

pub crawler said:

Manny's an unbelievable offensive player but he's got maybe -- MAYBE -- two more years of great production, then you're paying him more than $10M per year for 70 rbi's and a lot of bench time due to injuries (always happens with the former-stud free agents).

Two years? You've got to be kidding. He's still in the prime of his career, and look at his stats. Talk about consistent numbers.

And even if it only lasted two years (which I seriously doubt), the contract only has three years left on it. You wouldn't take two awesome years with him backing up Vlad?

Headache's right. Those of you who wouldn't take Manny now are nuts.

Not that I'm complaining. I'll be more than happy if he stays.

phanan said:

And even if it only lasted two years (which I seriously doubt), the contract only has three years left on it. You wouldn't take two awesome years with him backing up Vlad?
Frankly, I just assumed Manny had more years than that left on his contract. If it's only three, then that is certainly a plus.

Still, no way I give up Ervin Santana and/or ss Brandon Wood in the deal (both of whom the Red Sox were reportedly asking for before it became a 3-team proposal). If this 3-way goes off (and it's really only a rumor at this point), Angels should offer mid-level prospects and Darin Erstad (who is rumored to be part of the proposal).

Brandon Wood: http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/NA...t_id=1269271&vkey=news_ana&fext=.jsp&c_id=ana

Last edited:
pub crawler said:

Frankly, I just assumed Manny had more years than that left on his contract. If it's only three, then that is certainly a plus.

Still, no way I give up Ervin Santana and/or ss Brandon Wood in the deal (both of whom the Red Sox were reportedly asking for before it became a 3-team proposal). If this 3-way goes off (and it's really only a rumor at this point), Angels should offer mid-level prospects and Darin Erstad (who is rumored to be part of the proposal).

Brandon Wood: http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/NA...t_id=1269271&vkey=news_ana&fext=.jsp&c_id=ana

Darin Erstad? And you were saying that Manny was over the hill?

The Angels have pitching to spare and desperately need another bat -- Manny for Ervin Santana and others would have been a great deal for them.

Originally posted by speedracer

Darin Erstad? And you were saying that Manny was over the hill?

Erstad's name has been mentioned in the rumors. Presumably the Angels would have to give up enough mid-level prospects to make it worth it for Boston. And I'm not saying Manny's over the hill, but his production will tail off in two years. Mark my words.

The Angels have pitching to spare and desperately need another bat -- Manny for Ervin Santana and others would have been a great deal for them.

No way. You don't give up a young pitcher like Santana with the stuff he has. This guy is going to have a great career (barring serious injury).

If the Angels gave up Santana that leaves them with Colon, Escobar and Lackey. Well, okay, and Hector Carrasco. Then they've got to find at least a 5th starter. And they actually need Carrasco as a set-up guy anyway.

pub crawler said:
No way. You don't give up a young pitcher like Santana with the stuff he has. This guy is going to have a great career (barring serious injury).

you don't know that. that's the thing... you do not know that he's going to be a great pitcher. all the stuff in the world doesn't gaurantee anything.

if i had a penny for every can't miss pitcher the mets have had who turned into nothing, i'd have a shit load of pennies.

i have absolutely no problem giving up a few guys who might be good players for a guy who is a great player. so many met fans don't want to part with lastings milledge to get manny. i think they're all crazy. even if lastings milledge completely fulfills his potentil... he STILL will not be as good as manny ramirez will be over the remaining three years of his contract. we're talking about one of the greatest run producers of all time here. if lastings milledge is ever even close to manny ramirez, that would make him a sure fire first ballot hall of famer.

frankly... i'm willing to take the chance that milledge won't be that player.

and even if he turns out to be a great player... even a hall of famer... it's not like we traded him away for larry anderson. adding manny ramirez to this lineup instantly makes the mets one of the favorites to win the world series. and isn't that the point here? to win?

i still can't believe that i actually have to argue the worth of manny ramirez... unbelievable

Dec 6 - The Mets are about to trade right-handed starter Kris Benson to the Royals for left-hander Jeremy Affeldt and right-hander Mike MacDougal, reports ESPN's Peter Gammons, who says the deal could get done Tuesday night.
Earlier, the Newark Star-Ledger reported that Mets GM Omar Minaya had spoken with several teams about Benson -- including Baltimore, San Francisco and Kansas City.

The Mets like Benson but would move him in order to clear his salary ($15.5M over two years) so they could make a deal for a high-priced starter such as Arizona's Javier Vazquez or Oakland's Barry Zito.

New York almost dealt Benson to Baltimore last week for Jorge Julio. But the Mets went back to the Orioles demanding a high-level prospect in addition to Julio, and the O's balked.

macdougal was KC's closer last year... 21 saves, 3.33 era, throws in the high 90s and can hit 100 on the gun... affeldt is a quality middle relief guy who can eat up a lot of innings and is only 26 years old.

i liked benson... but the mets feel that they needed to deal him to add someone else... so i like this a hell of a lot better than the jorge julio deal rumored earlier.

and if this frees up the cash to go get zito or even manny, all the better.

Like Headache said, young pitchers are very volatile. Ervin Santana has looked great at times, but it's hard to project from one full season at a 4.65 ERA. Plus he weighs 160 lbs, which can't be a good sign as far as future injuries go.

In other news, Grady Little is the new Dodgers manager. Sportscenter :30 at 30 made an announcement, showing a clip of Grady talking to Pedro in the 8th inning, followed by Pedro giving up the bloop hit to Jorge Posada. I will now remove my own appendix.

pub crawler said:
And I'm not saying Manny's over the hill, but his production will tail off in two years. Mark my words.

Year Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
 1993 CLE 22 53 5 9 1 0 2 5 2 8 0 0 .170 .200 .302 .502  
 1994 CLE 91 290 51 78 22 0 17 60 42 72 4 2 .269 .357 .521 .878  
 1995 CLE 137 484 85 149 26 1 31 107 75 112 6 6 .308 .402 .558 .960  
 1996 CLE 152 550 94 170 45 3 33 112 85 104 8 5 .309 .399 .582 .981  
 1997 CLE 150 561 99 184 40 0 26 88 79 115 2 3 .328 .415 .538 .953  
 1998 CLE 150 571 108 168 35 2 45 145 76 121 5 3 .294 .377 .599 .976  
 1999 CLE 147 522 131 174 34 3 44 165 96 131 2 4 .333 .442 .663 1.105  
 2000 CLE 118 439 92 154 34 2 38 122 86 117 1 1 .351 .457 .697 1.154  
 2001 BOS 142 529 93 162 33 2 41 125 81 147 0 1 .306 .405 .609 1.014  
 2002 BOS 120 436 84 152 31 0 33 107 73 85 0 0 .349 .450 .647 1.097  
 2003 BOS 154 569 117 185 36 1 37 104 97 94 3 1 .325 .427 .587 1.014  
 2004 BOS 152 568 108 175 44 0 43 130 82 124 2 4 .308 .397 .613 1.009  
 2005 BOS 152 554 112 162 30 1 45 144 80 119 1 0 .292 .388 .594 .982  
 Career 1687 6126 1179 1922 411 15 435 1414 954 1349 34 30 .314 .409 .599 1.008

Enough said.

Ok, so it didn't cut and paste very well.

Last edited:
phanan said:

Enough said.

Ok, so it didn't cut and paste very well.

well from looking at that it looks like Manny's average and OPS have been in a steady decline since 2002

Dec 6 - The Mets are about to trade right-handed starter Kris Benson to the Royals for left-hander Jeremy Affeldt and right-hander Mike MacDougal, reports ESPN's Peter Gammons, who says the deal could get done Tuesday night.
Earlier, the Newark Star-Ledger reported that Mets GM Omar Minaya had spoken with several teams about Benson -- including Baltimore, San Francisco and Kansas City.

The Mets like Benson but would move him in order to clear his salary ($15.5M over two years) so they could make a deal for a high-priced starter such as Arizona's Javier Vazquez or Oakland's Barry Zito.

New York almost dealt Benson to Baltimore last week for Jorge Julio. But the Mets went back to the Orioles demanding a high-level prospect in addition to Julio, and the O's balked.
I saw on PTI that Anna Benson thinks the Mets are trying to unload Kris because of her upcoming Playboy spread.
Its a good thing she's hot (OK, smokin'), cause she's obviously cuckoo.

Chizip said:

well from looking at that it looks like Manny's average and OPS have been in a steady decline since 2002

While his HR and RBI totals have been going up, up, up.

Why people don't want him is beyond me. Manny/Vlad back to back is 80+ HR, 250+ RBI.

newsday.com
DALLAS -- Frustrated by the complexity of a megadeal for Manny Ramirez, the Mets have ramped up their discussions involving Barry Zito, and the club already has inquired about the possibility of signing him to an extension as part of any trade with the Athletics.

With that in mind, the Mets continued their efforts last night to move Kris Benson, discussing a trade with the Royals that would bring a relief pitcher, Jeremy Affeldt or Mike MacDougal, to Flushing. A baseball official with knowledge of the talks described the trade as "imminent" at one point, but another said a deal was not close as of late last night.

Finding a taker for Benson hasn't been easy. The Mets considered shipping him to the Orioles last week for reliever Jorge Julio but scrapped that proposal in about 24 hours.

The benefit of trading Benson is twofold. The Mets not only would get a chance to upgrade their rotation at the No. 3 spot with a former Cy Young winner in Zito, but they would get to clear Benson's salary off the payroll. He is due $15 million in the next two seasons.

If the deal eventually gets done with the Royals, the Mets will receive a quality arm for their bullpen, which is another area of concern.

When general manager Omar Minaya was asked earlier in the day if the Mets will seek to bolster their rotation, he said, "We would like to add a guy. In our ballpark, we like to have pitching as a priority. If there's an opportunity to get a front-line guy, you have to explore it."

Zito would appear to be that guy. He will earn $8.5 million this season in the walk year of his contract, and the cost-conscious Athletics have a habit of trading their most expensive players rather than paying to keep them.

Oakland GM Billy Beane did it with Tim Hudson and Mark Mulder, but he's been on the fence with Zito. If the Mets become willing to part with top outfield prospect Lastings Milledge, however, Beane might change his mind in a hurry.

Meanwhile, the Athletics seem to be preparing for life without Zito. Oakland signed Esteban Loaiza to a three-year, $21-million contract before the winter meetings, and the A's also are interested in trading for David Wells, who would be a logical, if older, replacement for the lefthanded Zito.

Minaya had been holding on to Milledge as the centerpiece of a multi-player package for Ramirez, and there is some disagreement in the organization about whether or not to deal him. Money is becoming more of a consideration, too, when it comes to Ramirez.

Now that the Mets have satisfied their most pressing needs, and have doled out the $30 million to new players that they trimmed from last season's payroll, COO Jeff Wilpon is putting the brakes on Minaya's free-spending ways - unless he can shave more cash from the payroll.

It's almost impossible for Minaya to find enough room for Ramirez, who will earn $57 million in the next three years. Now it seems that the Angels are the front-runner for the Red Sox slugger; talks progressed yesterday on a three-team swap that includes the Diamondbacks.

In that deal, the Angels would get Ramirez, the Red Sox would get Troy Glaus, and a package of prospects would be sent to the Diamondbacks. It seems unlikely that Ramirez will be traded by the end of this week, but the groundwork is being discussed.

i'm with you... just the ever more unlikely idea that manny ramirez might be in a mets uniform next year gives me a boner. :ohmy:

As it should. I'm gonna miss him. Cause he can hit.

agree w/ headache - you have the opportuniy to get manny, you get manny

Wow, getting former cy young award winner barry zito would be a nice addition to the christmas shopping cart.

Pedro
Glavine
Zito

not many have a better 1-3

and of course zito's greatest success was when he was teamed up with rick peterson... :hmm:

manny is certainly #1 on my wish list... but barry zito is a very nice #2.

obviously the mets will likely only be able to land one of them... and if the manny thing is going to drag on past the winter meetings, and they can get zito now, i say do it. manny changes his mind too often to wait on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom