MLB Hot Stove Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
mo vaughn was comming off an injury that forceed him to miss an entire season.

it had nothing to do with adjusting.

NO, it had to deal with being really out of shape. He couldn't swing around his gut. I've been to the stage deli, hopefully they have taken his picture down by now.

It was a joke, thats called humor.

I think they HAVE to be the favorites to win the NL East

not only w/ our acquistions, but Atlanta has lost Leo Mazzone and Rafael Furcal....those will hurt. Theymight take 2nd place, but mark my words, this is the year that the Atlanta "dynasty" is over.

AKA, the Buffalo Bills of baseball.

Numb1075 said:
I think they HAVE to be the favorites to win the NL East

not only w/ our acquistions, but Atlanta has lost Leo Mazzone and Rafael Furcal....those will hurt. Theymight take 2nd place, but mark my words, this is the year that the Atlanta "dynasty" is over.

AKA, the Buffalo Bills of baseball.

the loss of leo is the most significant loss the braves have ever had... he's been able to turn shit into gold for the past 5 years on that pitching staff... eh hem.. coughcoughcoughjarretwrightcoughcoughflemcough...

if bobby cox can manage to win the division again, all met fans should bow down to him and call him daddy.

TheBrush said:

NO, it had to deal with being really out of shape. He couldn't swing around his gut. I've been to the stage deli, hopefully they have taken his picture down by now.

It was a joke, thats called humor.

humor eh? never heard of it

one would think that perhaps having to sit out an entire year due to injury would leave one who was never an adonis to begin with in pretty poor shape... :shrug: but maybe i'm just an asshole who doesn't know what he's talking about.

phanan said:
The rumors are flying this morning.

Now there's talk of a three-way deal for Manny that involves the Angels and Arizona, with the Sox getting Troy Glaus, among others.
Wasn't this menage a trois rumored about a month ago as well?

damnit, burnett signs with toronto

would have been nice to have him in st louis, but 5 years/55 million is a lot for a guy with a .500 record and arm problems

the only thing that could work out for burnett is that he won't have to be the #1 guy... but yea... i'm not sold on him, either.

what would make me not sold on him? hmm... coughcoughcoughpavanocoughcoughcough

that goes for beckett btw, too... not sold on him, either. too injury prone, too inconsistant.

now that i've said all that, the mets will go and smite me be getting javier vasquez and forcing me to say that i think he'll get over his past inconsistancies :mad:

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

that goes for beckett btw, too... not sold on him, either. too injury prone, too inconsistant.

Fair enough, but of the three (Pavano, Burnett, Beckett) I'd take my chances with Beckett first, as he has been a clutch performer in the past.

phanan said:

Fair enough, but of the three (Pavano, Burnett, Beckett) I'd take my chances with Beckett first, as he has been a clutch performer in the past.

true enough... as would i.

but i'd be concearned that his playoff run was a fluke, considering how he's never been able to put up any sort of consistant stretch in the regular season. :shrug: who knows

Some ESPN Insider Rumors from the Winter Meetings...

Manny Ramirez
Dec 6 - According to The Boston Globe, there is substance to the rumor that the Red Sox are working on a three-way deal with the Diamondbacks and Angels.
The Angels would get Ramirez, the D-Backs would get prospects from the Angels and the Red Sox would receive a package of players that includes third baseman Troy Glaus.

Red Sox officials, The Globe reports, met with at least eight teams on Monday.

The Mets, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports, continue to talk to the Red Sox about Ramirez, and they're asking them to take second baseman Kaz Matsui in the deal along with Lastings Milledge, Aaron Heilman and other prospects

Mark Grudzlielanek
Dec 6 - If the Mets hope to sign second baseman Mark Grudzielanek, they'll need to trade Kaz Matsui, even though Grudzielanek has offered to backload a multiyear deal until Matsui comes off the books, the New York Daily News reports.

Trevor Hoffman
Dec 6 - Trevor Hoffman could be only a day or two away from signing with the Indians, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports.
But his agent, Rick Thurman, had meetings scheduled Monday night with both the Red Sox and Hoffman's longtime team, the Padres. There have been no indications that San Diego has increased its original offer to Hoffman (two years, $10 million) since it was tendered almost a month ago.

Javier Vazeuqz
Dec 6 - Javier Vazquez exercised his right to decline a trade to Detroit, thus killing what the Diamondbacks thought would be a blockbuster for center fielder Curtis Granderson and right-hander Joel Zumaya, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports.
Arizona GM Josh Byrnes says eight to 10 teams continued to have serious interest in Vazquez, The Arizona Republic reports. Any team interested in Vazquez would have to pick up the remainder of his salary, about $12M for each of the next two seasons.

Bobby Abreu
Dec 6 - The Phillies and Blue Jays explored a potential Bobby Abreu-for-Vernon Wells swap at the GM meetings, and those discussions have resumed at the winter meetings, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports. But since the Phillies want pitching if they trade Abreu, the names of Miguel Batista and Gustavo Chacin also might have to be tossed into the conversation.
The Red Sox (possibly for Matt Clement and Trot Nixon) and Astros (potentially for Brandon Backe and Chad Qualls) also are showing renewed interest in Abreu.

The Philadelphia Daily News reports that the Cubs learned Monday that they would need to include pitcher Mark Prior in any deal for Abreu.

Juan Pierre
Dec 6 - According to clubs that have spoken with the Marlins, Florida is stepping up its efforts to move Juan Pierre now that Paul Lo Duca's ticket to New York has been booked, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports.
The Cubs, White Sox and Rangers appear to be the three most aggressive teams in the Pierre hunt. But the Dodgers, Tigers, Nationals and a half-dozen other teams have at least kicked Pierre's tires.

According to various sources who have had conversations with the Marlins, Florida has asked the Cubs for their top prospect, center fielder Felix Pie -- a potential deal-breaker.

The Rangers may include outfielder Laynce Nix if they make an offer, The Palm Beach Post reports. The teams plan to meet Tuesday. The Dallas Morning News reports that the Marlins may be asking for one of the Rangers' top young pitching prospects -- John Danks or Thomas Diamond.

Mike Lowell
Dec 6 - In their search for a third baseman, the Twins approached the Red Sox about Mike Lowell, The Boston Globe reports. While the Twins have two players that might be a good fit for the Sox -- lefty reliever J.C. Romero and outfielder Lew Ford -- the newspaper speculates that the Red Sox would like to keep Lowell.

Nomahhhhhh
Dec 6 - While there is no clear-cut roster spot for him, the Yankees are intrigued by Nomar Garciparra, The New York Times reports.
"Teams have asked him, in general, about the outfield, first base, second base," Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellem, told the newspaper. "He's pretty open to any position other than catcher and pitcher."

Orioles executive VP Mike Flanagan is expected to sit down with Tellem this week. Baltimore may be willing to give Garciaparra two-year deal, with the understanding that the former shortstop would play either first base or the outfield.

The Padres have discussed the idea of signing Garciaparra and moving him to second base, reports ESPN.com Insider Jerry Crasnick. That would allow San Diego to then include Mark Loretta in a package for pitching help.

Barry Zito
Dec 5 - The Athletics and Dodgers are talking about a potential trade that would send left-handed starter Barry Zito from Oakland to Los Angeles for outfielder Milton Bradley, the Los Angeles Daily News reports. Officials from both teams are expected to meet Monday at the winter meetings in Dallas.
According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Rangers are focusing on Zito and have called the A's. The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Rangers are offering outfielder Kevin Mench so far.

Other teams believed to be suitors for the former Cy Young winner are the Mets, Diamondbacks, Phillies and Blue Jays.

Last edited:
So we got gold glove 3B Mike Lowell, and now we'd have 3B Troy Glaus as the centerpiece of what we get in return for Money Ramirez??
Somebody get Theo out of Eddie Vedder's Rio De Janeiro hotel room and give him his job back quick.

Hewson said:
Not according to Mia.:ohmy:

:shocked: scandleous

from the daily news...

DALLAS - Manny Ramirez remains on Omar Minaya's radar; Kaz Matsui is below it. So the Mets' GM intended to meet with Red Sox brass last night at the winter meetings, hoping to resume dialogue. One subject already under discussion, however, was the future of Matsui, preferrably as an ex-Met. The Japanese second baseman is being shopped as the Mets seek to save salary at his position, with the difference perhaps going in the Ramirez fund.
Since Minaya sees the lineup as otherwise settled, the Red Sox will have to be modest in their demands in order for Ramirez to become a Met, an insider said.

That means Boston brass absorbing a sizable portion of the $57 million owed to the slugger and ideally allowing the Mets to keep prospect Lastings Milledge and pitcher Aaron Heilman. Boston's suitors might have dwindled by one last night, with Angels' brass privately saying they were not interested in the Washington Heights product.

The Red Sox last night were trying to portray a Ramirez exit as becoming more unlikely because they don't figure to get fair value in a trade.

"You're not going to get value in any way, shape or form," Boston's Bill Lajoie, a former adviser to ex-GM Theo Epstein and part of Boston's GM by committee, told The Associated Press. "This is an A-1 hitter and you're not going to get an A-1 player that somebody is going to give you."

With their payroll approaching last year's $108 million level, the Mets are expected to be cautious with their spending front the rest of this winter - including at second base.

In fact, there are strong indications Minaya must deal Matsui before signing free agent Mark Grudzielanek - and there's no certainty he can accomplish that objective. Trading Matsui appears a prerequisite even though Grudzielanek has offered to backload a multiyear deal to keep his salary low until Matsui comes off the books.

Minaya at one point yesterday seemed to admit the Mets would not acquire a front-line player at the position while Matsui remains on the roster. Asked if the Mets could sign a starting second baseman while still possessing Matsui, Minaya said: "Very doubtful."

Matsui will make $8 million in '06, the final year of his contract, which should make finding a taker difficult unless the Mets eat significant salary. The Mets figure to approach Seattle about Matsui. Matsui, who must approve a trade to anywhere but the Angels, Dodgers and Yankees, but it seems reasonable to assume he's ready to move on if the Mets find a suitable landing spot.

"Matsui's our second baseman right now," Minaya said. "Are we always looking for options? Yeah, we are. But if we have to go with Matsui, right now we're ready to go with Matsui."

The Mets shed Mike Piazza's $15 million contract and Braden Looper's $5.5 million and saved another $5 million on the Mike Cameron-for-Xavier Nady swap. They have wiped $35 million off the books when all expiring contracts are included. Minaya since answered the team's three most pressing needs by adding closer Billy Wagner ($10.5 million), first baseman Carlos Delgado ($13.5 million) and catcher Paul Lo Duca ($6.25 million).

Minaya deflected direct questions about whether he could add payroll.

"Our ownership group has allowed us to take the dollars that are coming off and put it back on," he said. "We're still in the same area dollar-wise that we were last year. And when it's all said and done, we've signed one free agent. That's all we've signed. One free agent."

Added Minaya: "I'm happy with the club. Usually you have objectives in the winter and you want to accomplish these objectives. Sometimes you accomplish two out of three. We're in a situation that we've accomplished our objectives, so we feel comfortable. If other situations arise that make sense from a baseball side and from a financial side, we'd have to consider it. But we don't have to do anything. We have to fill in some areas (like the bullpen and bench), but everything is being done with consideration of finances. We have a budget. We're very comfortable with our budget."

As for Ramirez, Boston assistant GM Jed Hoyer said more than a dozen teams have inquired about the slugger, although with the Angels' apparent defection, there might be one fewer than the Red Sox had in mind.

"They haven't been able to meet the price that we would want for Manny," Hoyer told the AP. "We're certainly not going in with the expectation that we're going to have to make a trade. Teams would have to step up and beat our expectations."

Last edited:
That means Boston brass absorbing a sizable portion of the $57 million owed to the slugger and ideally allowing the Mets to keep prospect Lastings Milledge and pitcher Aaron Heilman.

Yeah that makes the deal very attractive to the Red Sox.
Do we at least get the Brooklyn Bridge?

Hewson said:
So we got gold glove 3B Mike Lowell, and now we'd have 3B Troy Glaus as the centerpiece of what we get in return for Money Ramirez??
Somebody get Theo out of Eddie Vedder's Rio De Janeiro hotel room and give him his job back quick.

Don't want Manny. Don't wanna take on that salary for a player of his age and don't wanna give up the halo prospects (which I'm assuming would be top prospects). I hope that 3-way doesn't happen. :|

Can someone please inform me why BJ Ryan got the richest contract for a relief pitcher in history?

According my research, he's had 1 tremendous year (last year).

His ERA has been sparkling for the past 2 years, but his career ERA is 3.54.....not exactly dominant

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom