MLB Hot Stove Edition - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2005, 10:10 AM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:03 PM
Keep your stinkin' blue and orange paws off my Manny.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:23 AM   #62
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 11-17-2005, 10:27 AM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

not neccesarily...

there are many out there who feel that boston is going to tank this season, dump payroll and regroup for 2007 with a younger squad.
Where have you heard this?

I don't know if I see this ownership doing that right now. Though I could be wrong since there is no pitching to be had in free agency and that it is what the team needs most.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:58 AM   #64
Blue Crack Distributor

mostly it's been mike francesa who's been saying it... he usually doesn't make statements like that unless he's heard the grumblings from some pretty good sources.

it might not be the case... but it is a posibility, and it makes sense when you look at the crop of free agents availalble.

it would probably be a very good baseball move for them to capitalize on the still flowing euphoria from their first world series in 86 years by doing a quick rebuilding job to get younger... because they're not winning anything with the pitching they have, and there ain't no pitchin' out there this year for them to get.

they obviously wouldn't come out and say that they're dumping the season... they'd try to get some fill in parts... but it seems like they want to let damon go and trade manny... and if you do that, the writing's pretty much on the wall as to what your intentions for the 2006 season are.

we'll see.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:12 AM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I agree with you on Damon being done. Based on the reports that they offered him 3 years at around 25 or 26 million and Boras wanting 84 mil over 7 years, he's as good as gone.

Manny I think is a more complicated issue. John Henry wants to keep him while Werner and Lucchino want him gone. It seems like there might be a power struggle over Manny, but then again not having a GM (with no one wanting the job) makes exploring trade options a tad more difficult.

Regardless, I think 2006 is going to be a rough season. Maybe it won't be a real shitfest with 60-70 wins, but I think a .500 record is in order. I see them trying to get younger - Papelbon should be a starter next year. Youkilis should start at either 3rd or 1st. I'd love to see Dustin Pedroia get the nod at 2nd, but he could be another year away. Who knows what will happen.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:44 AM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

I think you are a bit pessimistic about how next season will go. Granted, if they lose Damon, that will leave a negative effect, no doubt. And the pitching will obviously be a problem still.

But I don't see Manny going anywhere, and that's still going to leave a fairly productive lineup that will win its share of games.

I certainly don't see them winning it again any time soon, but I don't necessarily think the AL East will be any different than it has been the last 8 years.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:14 PM   #67
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
Manny I think is a more complicated issue. John Henry wants to keep him while Werner and Lucchino want him gone. It seems like there might be a power struggle over Manny, but then again not having a GM (with no one wanting the job) makes exploring trade options a tad more difficult.
which of course leads right into the true reasons for theo leaving...
Old 11-17-2005, 12:20 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

I wouldn't write Damon off just yet.
Boras' assessment of market value is (as usual) vastly inflated. The Sox' initial offer is just to get the ball rolling. In the end, there may not be anyone else willing to pay any more than the Sox (reports are the Yanks have no interest and may pursue a trade for Torii "Spelling" Hunter), I think he's got a better than 50-50 shot at returning to Boston.

I for one would like to see the Sox (Red not White) retain Bill Mueller. If they're so anxious to let Youkilis play every day, give him a shot at 1B, they don't have anyone besides Ortiz under contract who plays the position currently.

Mueller's gonna get you around a .300 avg, some decent run production, and play 3B better than AFraud, all for 3-4Mil.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:22 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

which of course leads right into the true reasons for theo leaving...
What does the Manny situation have to do with the 2006 Pearl Jam tour itinerary?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:26 PM   #70
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
I for one would like to see the Sox (Red not White) retain Bill Mueller. If they're so anxious to let Youkilis play every day, give him a shot at 1B, they don't have anyone besides Ortiz under contract who plays the position currently.
relax... you'll get xavier nady in a package deal shortly.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:28 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

relax... you'll get xavier nady in a package deal shortly.
For David Wells, who wants to return to San Diego.

Yes after the Padres realize Cameron's vision is at Stevie Wonder levels and rescind the trade, also alerting the Red Sox to stay away from Cameron and any shady Minaya deals.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:41 PM   #72
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
For David Wells, who wants to return to San Diego.

Yes after the Padres realize Cameron's vision is at Stevie Wonder levels and rescind the trade, also alerting the Red Sox to stay away from Cameron and any shady Minaya deals.

i'm not gonna think about that because it might be true.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:37 AM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

shady minaya deals
Old 11-18-2005, 12:01 PM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

as a side note:

Billy Wagner's agent is named Bean Stringfellow
Old 11-21-2005, 09:10 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The Red Sox have acquired Beckett and Lowell from the Florida Marlins for shortstop Hanley Ramirez, right-handed pitcher Anibal Sanchez and a player to be named, ESPN reported Monday.

I HATE this trade. I hope I'm wrong, but I think it is terrible. Beckett spends more of his time of the DL than being healthy. He's a very average pitcher outside of Pro Player Stadium or whatever it is called. That park is one of the most pitcher friendly parks in baseball. Great, just great. Five bucks says he spends time on the DL next season with a stiff neck from watching balls sail out of Fenway.

The only reason why this trade gets done is because of the PR hit the Red Sox front office is taking right now. There is no way Theo makes this move, giving away top young guys for an injury prone bag of shit. Sorry, I'm just a little heated and may go play in traffic.