MLB Hot Stove Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phanan said:
The comparison of Alomar and Ramirez doensn't work. Why? Because with one glance at Alomar's stats, you can see that he has had two, maybe three excellent years and the rest are above average, but not phenomenal.

One look at Ramirez's stats, and you clearly see that EVERY YEAR he's been in the big leagues from 1995 and on has been incredible. His batting average slipped below .300 last year, but his power numbers went up, so I don't see how that is a sign of him tailing off.

Again not comparing players.....mindset of the players. GRRRRR. learn to read guys. Im taking about lock hall of famers changing leagues and falling apart. The town ripping anyone if they dont succeed and what being on a great team will do.

LOOK at the comparison to other second basemen. His numbers are phenomial, you can't copare the stats to the outfielders stats.

Plus defense and baserunning comes into play.

Im just stating their might be some tail off with his numbers (age, shea stadium, no DH, no as great of a lineup)

Thats all I stated, Im not saying robby beats Manny in a homerun derby.

I think Manny is great and is his prime one of the best hitters ever. I just dont know how much longer his prime is gonna last. I started comparing the guys because they were roughly the same age when they came over (well manny hanst come over but if he did) and are known as trouble makers and not great clubhouse guys.

Manny to Flushing: his #s would drop

I'd still bet he'd do this:
35 hr
120 rbi

we haven't had that since piazza several seasons ago

Numb1075 said:
Manny to Flushing: his #s would drop

I'd still bet he'd do this:
35 hr
120 rbi

we haven't had that since piazza several seasons ago

Yea, those are still great in that ballpark though.

Sadly I dont think any met any time soon is going to put up the numbers consistently that Piazza did from 99-02

I have very high hopes for David Wirght though.

What is this rule that Delgado can demand a trade since he has a multipear contract (at the end of this year). I mean anyone can asked to be traded but does this mean the mets would have to oblige him, seems like a weird provision.

Anyone?

TheBrush said:

Again not comparing players.....mindset of the players. GRRRRR. learn to read guys. Im taking about lock hall of famers changing leagues and falling apart. The town ripping anyone if they dont succeed and what being on a great team will do.

LOOK at the comparison to other second basemen. His numbers are phenomial, you can't copare the stats to the outfielders stats.

Plus defense and baserunning comes into play.

Im just stating their might be some tail off with his numbers (age, shea stadium, no DH, no as great of a lineup)

Thats all I stated, Im not saying robby beats Manny in a homerun derby.

I think Manny is great and is his prime one of the best hitters ever. I just dont know how much longer his prime is gonna last. I started comparing the guys because they were roughly the same age when they came over (well manny hanst come over but if he did) and are known as trouble makers and not great clubhouse guys.

I know what you're saying, and I'm not comparing them like that. You are suggesting that at this point in Manny's career, there might be some tail off, and you used Alomar as a comparison based on it being a similar scenario, same age, etc.

I used their stats to disagree with your theory because Manny has been consistent every year he's been doing this, while Alomar has had a few good years but certainly wasn't putting up hall of fame numbers every year, so it shouldn't have been a major surprise that his stats went down again (although admittedly they went down further than before). By contrast, Manny has had HOF numbers every year, and it's going by this that I would say Manny won't be tailing off anytime soon.

It says on espn.com that Thome got traded to the sox (ummm of the white variety)...... I know they wanted to move him so they can play Howard. But do you guys think this is to make room (money wise) to make another push for Wagner. I can't see them giving up without a fight for him.

It certainly gives them more flexibility in trying to re-sign Wagner.

Interesting trade. Aaron Rowand is an excellent center fielder and entering his prime - I'm surprised the White Sox would get rid of him for Thome, who after last year isn't exactly a guarantee anymore.

This looks like a sign that Konerko might not be back, either, unless Thome is only to be a DH, which is possible.

TheBrush said:
It says on espn.com that Thome got traded to the sox (ummm of the white variety)...... I know they wanted to move him so they can play Howard. But do you guys think this is to make room (money wise) to make another push for Wagner. I can't see them giving up without a fight for him.

Meh. I don't know how I feel about this trade yet. Sox are getting $22 million with Thome. I believe that's about half of what Thome is owed over the next few years on his contract. I wonder what Kenny Williams is planning to do about center field.

Re: Konerko: It was reported today that the offers have not been pouring in like he and his agent thought they would. He still has a good chance to end up with the Sox. The Sox have no DH right now, so Thome could fill that role perhaps. :hmm:

im still waiting for the cardinals to do something, anything. and getting a new radio guy doesn't count. how is Rooney anyway, WHA?

Rooney is pretty good. Farmer and Rooney, as a team, were named the best radio duo this season. Truth be told, I don't listen to the Sock on the radio all that much. People really like Rooney here though.

If you gohere and click on "White Sox Win World Series" you can hear Rooney's final out call.

edit: should be right page now.

Last edited:
TheBrush said:
Last time I checked there are two other outfield positions my friend. The core has been described as Wright, Reyes, Beltran, Milledge (may hernandez we will have to wait and see).

That article was written after Escobar blew out his knee or whatever sidelined him so yea it looked like a steal........I glad you live in a nice little world whereeverything fits nicely in a box. Oh this guy didnt turn out to be great so its a steal.

Hindsight is always 20/20

alex escobar was signed by the mets in 1995. he had his best statistical season in the minors, when he was declaired the best prospect in baseball, in 1998. he was traded after the 2001 season. when he was traded, he was still a minor leaguer, having had just a brief cup of coffee in september with the mets. his star was already fading by the time he blew out his knee, and he wasn't considered to be a lock future super star anymore by the time he was traded. and if you had read that article, it brings up that at the time... AT THE TIME... not months or years later... AT THE TIME of the trade King George the Third was outraged that the Mets were able to get Alomar for a few pieces off the scrap heap.

on to lastings milledge... he's a centerfielder. if you know even a tiny bit about baseball, you know that centerfielders tend to have large ego's about the position they play. they don't want to be moved to another outfield position. beltran certainly didn't want to move to rightfield when the mets were pursuing him, even though cameron was obviously a better defensive player. cameron moved reluctantly, and then it took only a year for him to demand to be moved back to centerfield or traded. and the mets have still yet to ask milledge to move to either corner outfield position. one would think that if he were part of their plans, they would have done that already, considering that beltran ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon.

but maybe milledge is the real deal... i don't know... you never know. he's a minor leaguer. there are no gaurantees. for every david wright, jose reyes and daryl strawberry the mets have had, they've had two jay payton's, alex escobars, greg jefferies, timo perez's, paul wilson's and bill pulsipher's... all of whom were once billed as future met superstars.

the mets have two bonefied, major league proven, future superstars under the age of 23 in Reyes and Wright. they also have beltran for 6 more years, who's not yet 30. they also have a load of young arms in the minors... despite giving up petit. there are those that say petit's success is because he has great stuff, and there are those who say it's because he has a gimmick delivery. he was awesome in AA, but in his brief call up to AAA he got rocked.

the mets are making a push to win it all now... this year. not 7 years down the line. they still have a load of young talent, but they have no problem dumping some of the unproven talent to bring in guys to get it done this year. after all... they did sign pedro, like you brought up. and he'll be retired in 5 years, right? so why not deal milledge now if it can bring in a bonefied stud RBI guy like manny f'ing ramirez?

as for wagner and the phillies and the thome/rowand trade.

it could free up money to resign him, but all reports indicate that what will push it over the edge for wagner is whatever team gives him that 4th year. the mets will, the phillies, as of now, still say that they will not.

:shrug: but who knows... maybe a few extra million will change his mind.

I have read a few articles that seem under the impression Milledge will be Floyds replacement after next season. As you mention nothing is guaranteed though, he could stink it up the minute he gets to the majors and be back in Norfolk in a week.

He very well might not want to move out of CF, but I don;t think he has an ego like that of Camerons yet. If you want to get in the majors you would do it. But I see your point on this and it is valid.

I think one could argue either way for getting Manny but I doubt it will happen now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a side note, looks like Seattle scouped up Jojima, no loss there. We have had Shinjo and Matsui, so I think I could speak for most mets fans out there when saying Im relieved we didn't sign him.

Molina or Hernadez????????

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

bonefied stud RBI guy like manny f'ing ramirez?

Normally I don't pick on spelling mistakes, but I'm pretty sure that the correct spelling is either "bonafide" or "bona fide".

Unless you're talking about Manny's boner. In that case, I'm outta here.

Manny's boner:drool:

:ohmy:

In news unrelated to Manny's boner, Carlos Delgado has committed to standing for God Bless America for the NY Mets.

speedracer said:

Normally I don't pick on spelling mistakes, but I'm pretty sure that the correct spelling is either "bonafide" or "bona fide".

Unless you're talking about Manny's boner. In that case, I'm outta here.

HIAS comes from the blending, sound-alike generation....."poo-teen", see? :lol:

by that comment i'm guessing you don't like the phillies... tom gordon is horrific.

there's an article in newsday today saying the yankees feel that brian giles' agent is using the yanks in order to get another deal from a different club.

oh how the tides have changed... the mets land the superstars and the yankees get used by guys to get better offers.

it's like the bizzaro 1990s.

I'm quite surprised at how quiet things have been in the Yankee camp while all this activity is going on, especially when the Mets, Red Sox and Blue Jays are the teams making the most noise.
If the Orioles make a big deal next and the Yanks remain quiet, we'll have to assume King George actually choked to death on a calzone 3 weeks ago and nobody has had the nerve to knock on his office door to see why he hasn't come out in so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom