MLB Hot Stove Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes strictly numbers Walker compares with Rice, but you know as well as I that had Jim Rice played 15 years later and played a number of seasons in Coors, that his power numbers would be approaching Mays/Bonds/Ruth/Aaron numbers.

Hewson said:
Yes strictly numbers Walker compares with Rice, but you know as well as I that had Jim Rice played 15 years later and played a number of seasons in Coors, that his power numbers would be approaching Mays/Bonds/Ruth/Aaron numbers.

or if he played for a different team than the red sox he could have been a .277 career hitter and he wouldnt even be mentioned as a hof candidate.

phanan said:
I don't see how you can compare stats from different eras. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

:shrug:

especially given the smaller parks, juice, and lower quality pitching we had in the 90's.

Chizip said:

or if he played for a different team than the red sox he could have been a .277 career hitter and he wouldnt even be mentioned as a hof candidate.
Do me a favor, look up Carl Yastrzemski's career batting average.

Longevity(lack thereof) and attitude towards press are the only things keeping Rice out.

well i never meant to compare them, just used walker as an example of a hitter who used homefield as an advantage to inflate his stats, much like Rice did

then i decided to check the numbers just for kicks and saw that Walker had an OPS over 100 points higher than Rice. and while he played in a different offensive era, is that enough to make up over 100 points in OPS? thats a large margin. so i dont think its absolutely ridiculous to compare them as hewson had made it seem.

Hewson said:
Do me a favor, look up Carl Yastrzemski's career batting average.

Longevity(lack thereof) and attitude towards press are the only things keeping Rice out.

longevity is a huuuuge factor in the hall of fame though. gotta have those career totals up there to impress. yastrzemski had over 450 home runs, rice had 382. not to mention 1000 more hits.

Last edited:
well maybe too many writers have read Bill James' “New Historical Baseball Abstract” where he called Rice the most overrated player of the past 30 years :wink:

oh yeah, james works for the red sox too

Yeah. Bill James also said you don't need a closer.

Bill James says a lot of things.

but he definitely knows his statistics

and i really dont care if rice gets in or not, im just saying i can see why people wouldnt vote for him

are you kidding me? the cardinals just signed Jeff Nelson, i can taste the world series already

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa indicated yesterday that Jim Edmonds would open the season batting fourth between Albert Pujols and Scott Rolen.

:happy:

larry bigbie or junior spivey batting second :drool:

Cardinals manager Tony LaRussa indicated yesterday that the Cardinals would get off to a flying start, peak in August and suffer an embarassing playoff exit once again in 2006.

Numb1075 said:
Chizip, any truth or is this just wishful thinking?

crazy messageboard speculation, some guy on a cards site said he had an inside source and the deal would go through tomorrow

soooooo, the chances of it actually happening is about .0001%

Over 500 posts, and opening day is still 2.5 months away. If we keep things on the DL, maybe we can hit 1000 and crash the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom