MLB Hot Stove Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
this is an amazing trade rumor, because of a variety of factors...

#1, we've heard just about every name involved in this trade in potential trade rumors, mostly to the teams in which they are rumored to be headed

#2, every team is getting exactly what they want... boston is getting a bonefied RBI guy to hit with Ortiz, they're filling a need at shortstop, and they're getting a speedster outfielder to fill the spot at the top of the lineup vacated by johnny damon, and they're freeing up cash... the orioles are getting rid of an upset player without taking on an enormous salary burden, getting a replacement at shortsop, and adding two quality starters to boot... tampa bay is getting quality young pitching prospects, a good third base prospect, and an expiring contract to be a stop gap at short stop until their big gun prospect is able to come up from the minors... and finally, the mets get the guy who omar minya has coveted forever... manny ramirez, while at the same time getting a bonefied setup man in baez, while at the same time not spending THAT much more than they did last year... they're losing approx. 23 million in getting rid of matsui, benson, heiliman and seo... but they're only adding approx. 24 million in ramirez and baez.

so they can go out and fill the pitching spots that they're losing and still only be a good 10 million or less over what they spent last year.

this may just be the perfect trade... which is why i think it'll get done.

I'm unsure about this for the Sox. Losing a valuable prospect like Marte is what troubles me. I don't mind Clement being thrown in, but adding Marte and only getting Joey Gathright? His batting avg. and on base percentage suck. Sure, he's got great speed, but you gotta get on base first.

But there might not be any other way to do this...

Headache, but do we really need to part ways with Kat Matsui to get this deal done?:mad:

If Minaya gets this deal done, this HAS to be the most exicting Mets team assembled.

No mention of that four-way deal in this article...

Sox still in Manny-Tejada talks
By Tony Massarotti
Boston Herald Baseball Columnist and General Sports Columnist

Tuesday, January 3, 2006 - Updated: 02:29 AM EST

Two years after participating in complicated trade discussions for Alex Rodriguez, the Red Sox once again are involved in complex talks for one of the elite shortstops in baseball. In this case, they could have their answer by the end of this week.

According to sources, the Baltimore Orioles would like to decide the fate of shortstop Miguel Tejada within the next several days. Among the possible trade partners with Baltimore are the Red Sox, who are offering outfielder Manny Ramirez and pitcher Matt Clement in exchange for Tejada and an outfielder, who could be 22-year-old prospect Nick Markakis.

While there was indication yesterday that the Sox and Orioles have not agreed on the players who could be involved in the deal, the presence of a second player coming from Baltimore to Boston is new information. That element could introduce yet another stumbling block because the Orioles would prefer the Sox take someone like 27-year-old Luis Matos, a center fielder and career .260 hitter with decent speed, little power and a free-swinging mentality at the plate.

Also according to sources, there was some indication that Ramirez would accept a deal to Baltimore only if the Orioles would exercise a pair of options on the player’s contract. Those options would keep Ramirez in Baltimore through 2010 but are at a whopping $20 million each, which would be a major deterrent to the Orioles.

That said, there was also indication that the Sox have been keeping Ramirez’ agent, Greg Genske, informed throughout their negotiations with the Orioles. Genske did not return a call over the holidays, but any attempt by Ramirez to block a deal would be duplicitous given his dealings with the Red Sox to date.

For much of Ramirez’ time in Boston, after all, the player has asked the club to trade him. Such a request was made again following last season, after which the Sox explored a number of unsatisfactory trade offers for Ramirez. A deal for Tejada is easily the most balanced, particularly because Tejada similarly has expressed a desire to leave his current team. Unlike trade discussions prior to this offseason, however, Ramirez has the right to block a deal because of his status as a 10-5 player. That status — 10 years of major league service, the last five with the same team — requires Ramirez to approve any trade.

Though there are other teams interested in Tejada, none may be able to offer the package put forth by the Red Sox. The Chicago Cubs reportedly have offered Mark Prior and outfielder Corey Patterson in a package for Tejada, but the former has an injury history and the latter was a bust in 2005. The Houston Astros also have expressed interest in Tejada given their payroll flexibility in the wake of Roger Clemens’ departure, but no one can offer Baltimore a hitter like Ramirez in return.

For the Orioles, the ultimate decision may be whether to trade Tejada to Boston or to keep him, the latter of which remains a possibility. Tejada continues to put pressure on the club by repeatedly expressing dissatisfaction with the team’s direction. Meanwhile, Orioles officials have expressed concern about trading Tejada within the division, particularly given the existence of unbalanced scheduling.

Baltimore’s latter concern, of course, would be shared by Boston, which actually would be sending two higher-level major leaguers to the Orioles. The risk, then, would be the same for each club.

looks like Omar is trying to deal Jae Seo to LA (I think) for a middle reliever (sanchez perhaps)

I'd keep Seo - the 2nd half of 2005 he was better than Pedro.

Latest Rumor:
Manny to the Mets, Tejada to the Mets, Gathright to the Mets, Baez to the Mets, Clement to the Orioles, Lugo to the Red Sox and Heilman to the Devil rays.

Omar has put this on the table to the other 3 teams with the stipulation that the Red Sox pay 56 of Manny's remaing 57 million and the O's pick up $40 million of Tejada's remaining contract.
Omar is expecting to have this sealed up by 3PM.

Ho-hum...

According to WFAN, Bret Boone has signed a minor league deal with the New York Mets.
Kaz Matsui has been difficult to move this offseason, but Boone should be given every chance to compete with him this spring for the starting job. Chris Woodward is also in the mix, with Jeff Keppinger and Anderson Hernandez expected to serve as the double-play combination at Triple-A Norfolk.

jae seo sucks, he had a good half of a season, you trade him while you can get anything for him at all which is what the mutts did.

they are saying that the trade REAKS of Rick Peterson.....he doesn't get along w/ Seo and that's why he is gone.

either that or lesbian next, right?

i watch it while i eat lunch sometimes. espnews is shitty because its the same loop over and over again, espn and espn 2 show bullshit, so sadly i watch them too sometimes.

meanwhile prior voided his contract and is now supposed to be close to agreeing on a 1 year deal with the cubs, or else he goes to arbitration.

i was watching lesbian next yesterday- some girl with a tattoo over her boobies dressed as a devil then in the van the other lesbos were talking about vibrators. my mom then walked in the room and looked at me funny. good old next.

keeping it on topic, a-rod is supposed to play for the US of A in the world baseball classic.

StlElevation said:
i was watching lesbian next yesterday- some girl with a tattoo over her boobies dressed as a devil then in the van the other lesbos were talking about vibrators. my mom then walked in the room and looked at me funny. good old next.

keeping it on topic, a-rod is supposed to play for the US of A in the world baseball classic.

If this happens, the six New England states are probably going to petition for province-hood in Canada.

what is this lesbian show you area ll referring to?:ohmy:

Mike and the mad Dog:banghead:

soooo annoying......they are so whiney

From ESPN Deportes:

In Miami on personal business, Manny Ramirez told ESPN Deportes that: "There will be no trade, I'm staying in Boston, where I'm familiar with the system and where I have a lot of friends, especially David Ortiz."

But don't worry - he'll change his mind again tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom