MLB Hot Stove Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The White Sox resigned Jon Garland for 3 years and $12 million per year.

I was pleasantly surprised when I heard about this, as I was sure that they would either trade him or let him leave as a free agent after 2006. I think this deal is under market value too, especially when you consider what AJ Burnett got.

Matt786 said:
The White Sox resigned Jon Garland for 3 years and $12 million per year.

oops, I meant $29 million over 3 years. I have no idea why I wrote $12 million!

The Red Sox are said to have added Matt Clement in the proposed Ramirez for Tejada trade.

I'd probably still do it, because that would free up quite a bit of money and we'd still have plenty of pitching, although I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mazzone sets Clement straight and he ends up winning 15-20 games.

the only reason i'd see baltimore doing it is if they think tejada's in for a steroid related decline...

they'd be adding approx. 20+ million in payroll for an older player... tejada is younger and has proven himself to be quite the RBI machine, much like ramirez. i thought baltimore was trying to cut payroll not add to it

The only way the O's consider taking Money Ramirez and Matt Clement for Tejada is if the Red Sox eat lots and lots of the cash owed to Money and Matt.

If the Sox were to do this they'd plug the SS hole, but open up a hole in LF, leaving Trot Nixon to cover the entire outfield, so they had better have something else up their sleeve to follow up.

cocoakrispies1.jpg

They probably have to trade Brandon Arroyo-McCarver to get cereal boy, and with Clement gone and Wells asking out, the rotation dwindles to Schilling, Beckett, Wakefield, Papelbon and Hewson.

Hewson said:
They probably have to trade Brandon Arroyo-McCarver to get cereal boy, and with Clement gone and Wells asking out, the rotation dwindles to Schilling, Beckett, Wakefield, Papelbon and Hewson.

And introducing the new Red Sox #5 starter...

Hewson!

I still don't see Manny sanctioning a deal that sends him to Baltimore - he doesn't want out of Boston THAT bad.

Joe Buck: Bottom of the 11th inning, Boston leading 5-4 on a David Ortiz shot into the Yankee Stadium bleachers in the top of the inning, the Red Sox one pitch away from returning to the World Series.

*FOX shows replay of Aaron Boone's home run*

Tim McCarver: That was Bill Wakefield with a knuckleball that didn't knuckle, and Boone just crushed it.

Joe: That's actually *Tim* Wakefield.

Tim: Joe, you need to shove that stick a little farther up your butt.

Joe: A-Rod steps back into the box, Damon and Jeter take their leads.

*FOX shows another replay of the Aaron Boone home run*

Tim: If the Yankees are able to pull this game out, it'll be because they scored more runs than the Red Sox.

Joe: Tim, shut the hell up.

Tim: Why don't you make me?

*FOX shows another replay of the Aaron Boone home run*

Joe: Hewson sets and delivers...

*crack*

Joe: A weak grounder to first, Kevin Youkilis scoops it up, shovels it to Hewson, and HEWSON DROPS THE BALL! DAMON AND JETER COME AROUND TO SCORE, THE YANKEES WIN THE PENNANT! UNBELIEVABLE!

*cue "Stuck In A Moment" video*

Last edited:
Manny obstacles to a blockbuster
Dec 31 - The Mets remain interested in acquiring Manny Ramirez and are paying close attention to the Miguel Tejada situation in Baltimore, the Newark Star-Ledger reports. One possibility is a multi-team swap in which Mets pitcher Kris Benson would end up in Baltimore, Tejada in Boston and Ramirez with the Mets.
But in another development, the New York Daily News reports that the Mets have been engaged in ongoing talks with the Devil Rays about reliever Danys Baez, and, according to multiple baseball sources, those discussions could bloom into a blockbuster four-team trade scenario in which Ramirez winds up at Shea and similarly disgruntled slugger Tejada lands in Boston.

Ramirez and Baez would go to the Mets, giving them one of the game's best sluggers and a setup man. The Orioles would satisfy their need at shortstop by getting Julio Lugo from Tampa Bay and add pitching by getting Matt Clement from Boston and possibly Kris Benson from the Mets.

this is an amazing trade rumor, because of a variety of factors...

#1, we've heard just about every name involved in this trade in potential trade rumors, mostly to the teams in which they are rumored to be headed

#2, every team is getting exactly what they want... boston is getting a bonefied RBI guy to hit with Ortiz, they're filling a need at shortstop, and they're getting a speedster outfielder to fill the spot at the top of the lineup vacated by johnny damon, and they're freeing up cash... the orioles are getting rid of an upset player without taking on an enormous salary burden, getting a replacement at shortsop, and adding two quality starters to boot... tampa bay is getting quality young pitching prospects, a good third base prospect, and an expiring contract to be a stop gap at short stop until their big gun prospect is able to come up from the minors... and finally, the mets get the guy who omar minya has coveted forever... manny ramirez, while at the same time getting a bonefied setup man in baez, while at the same time not spending THAT much more than they did last year... they're losing approx. 23 million in getting rid of matsui, benson, heiliman and seo... but they're only adding approx. 24 million in ramirez and baez.

so they can go out and fill the pitching spots that they're losing and still only be a good 10 million or less over what they spent last year.

this may just be the perfect trade... which is why i think it'll get done.

this is a conversation i just had with a former college roommate of mine... another die hard met fan... about the rumored trade, and i do believe it sheds light on to my dislike of red sox fans and met fans while still hating the yankees and being a met fan... if that makes sense.

Random Met Fan: even though i have reservations bout manny u cant turn that down
U desufnoC: ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh please don't give me the reservations about manny shpiel
U desufnoC: don't be the typical whiney met fan
Random Met Fan: well theres a reason boston has tried getting rid of him so many times
U desufnoC: manny ramirez is one of the greatest RBI men in baseball history
Random Met Fan: i know
Random Met Fan: and with all that they've tried getting rid of him a few times
U desufnoC: yea because they gave him 20 million a year
Random Met Fan: its more than just that
U desufnoC: every one of manny;'s teammates absolutely loves the guy
U desufnoC: i don't wanna hear about hwo he's a bad guy
U desufnoC: he's a goofball
U desufnoC: nothing more
Random Met Fan: dont get me wrong
Random Met Fan: i'd take the deal in a sec
Random Met Fan: then we can never bitch bout the yanks buying a team ever again
U desufnoC: i could care less
Random Met Fan: just saying
U desufnoC: after seeing red sox fans from up close, i took on a whole different perspective as a met fan... i still don't like the yankees, but i could care less about the money they spend or what they do... all i care about is that my team wins. fans that consistantly bitch about what another team does are sad and pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom