MLB 2K5 Pt 2 - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2005, 04:49 PM   #421
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075
I almost feel bad for the fans who root for perenial losers in small markets like Kansas City, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay etc....

It's no fun when April comes and you know you have ZERO chances of making the post season.

Minnesota is also lumped into this "small market" category...yet they are able to achieve decent success yearly (this year may be a loss though).

Minnesota has a strong farm system and achieve success that way.

I hate sounding like Bud Selig.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:24 PM   #422
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by I'm Ready

and hermanson has only blown 1 save
Yeah, Dustin Hermanson has had a decent year, but when it comes playoff time against the good teams, do you think you'll be able to trust him? Maybe I'm biased because he didn't impress much during his brief stay here, but he just doesn't seem to have that closer mentality, in my view.

Of course, neither does Schilling...

Old 08-16-2005, 06:43 PM   #423
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!

Minnesota is also lumped into this "small market" category...yet they are able to achieve decent success yearly (this year may be a loss though).

Minnesota has a strong farm system and achieve success that way.

I hate sounding like Bud Selig.
Oakland is another small market team that has been pretty successful. Teams like Cincinnati are victims of poor decision making as well. They are willing to spend money, Junior Griffey, but they have no pitching whatsoever.

Teams like Tampa need to realize that that have to spend some money if they ever hope to be competitive. They have great young players, but for whatever reason I would say none have developed into stars. Aubrey Huff may the closest to being one. The future is bright with Crawford and BJ Upton, but it could be that they are overestimating the quality of the prospects.

If you spend no money, you won't win no matter what. They key is spend some on a couple building block players and have good young players.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:13 PM   #424
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail

Oakland is another small market team that has been pretty successful. Teams like Cincinnati are victims of poor decision making as well. They are willing to spend money, Junior Griffey, but they have no pitching whatsoever.

Teams like Tampa need to realize that that have to spend some money if they ever hope to be competitive. They have great young players, but for whatever reason I would say none have developed into stars. Aubrey Huff may the closest to being one. The future is bright with Crawford and BJ Upton, but it could be that they are overestimating the quality of the prospects.

If you spend no money, you won't win no matter what. They key is spend some on a couple building block players and have good young players.
True, but it seems that teams like Oakland and Minnesota need that one high-priced slugger to put them over the top.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:07 PM   #425
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

True, but it seems that teams like Oakland and Minnesota need that one high-priced slugger to put them over the top.
Well yeah. But if you look at these two teams, they usually get that slugger without the high price from their systems, then lose them. Jason Giambi to the Yankees or Tejada to the Orioles. Or in Minnesota's case, David Ortiz...even though he left with only hitting around 20 homeruns in a season.

In fact, this is exactly Minnesota's problem. They needed Justin Morneau to be that slugger and he hasn't done that for them. This is one of the reasons this team has struggled.

My point is, these teams can get sluggers from their farm systems, and sign one of them to a big contract while letting another go. See Eric Chavez.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:21 PM   #426
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Philk?

Well yeah. But if you look at these two teams, they usually get that slugger without the high price from their systems, then lose them. Jason Giambi to the Yankees or Tejada to the Orioles. Or in Minnesota's case, David Ortiz...even though he left with only hitting around 20 homeruns in a season.

In fact, this is exactly Minnesota's problem. They needed Justin Morneau to be that slugger and he hasn't done that for them. This is one of the reasons this team has struggled.

My point is, these teams can get sluggers from their farm systems, and sign one of them to a big contract while letting another go. See Eric Chavez.
Ortiz doesn't really fit into that group. The Twins decided they didn't want him and he didn't sign with Boston with all the fanfare that accompanied Giambi and Tejada's signings. The Twins didn't expect him to turn into the Huge Clutch Performer that he is now.

I think expectations with Morneau were way too high, at least right away. Give him a couple years, then expect him to be the 30 homer 100+ rbi guy.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:44 PM   #427
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not sure if Morneau will ever reach that level.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:27 PM   #428
ONE
love, blood, life

well, it isn't much of a consolation at this point, but the Twins scored five runs in the 16th inning, and Joe Nathan came on in the bottom of the inning and struck out three consecutive white sock to seal a 9-4 victory.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:48 PM   #429
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

Yeah, Dustin Hermanson has had a decent year, but when it comes playoff time against the good teams, do you think you'll be able to trust him? Maybe I'm biased because he didn't impress much during his brief stay here, but he just doesn't seem to have that closer mentality, in my view.

Of course, neither does Schilling...
well i think if his back is ok ill trust him in the playoffs but he did blow his 2nd save tnight so maybe i jinxed him
Old 08-16-2005, 11:35 PM   #430
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Philk?

Ok. But being able to keep both of them is a huge plus, even if you have to pay top dollar for one of them because he's in the prime of his career and hitting the free-agent market.

Two good sluggers are more than twice as valuable as one. The one can be held in check with selective pitching, but if you have two of them hitting back-to-back, you can really unleash both of them. (Think Ortiz-Manny, Sheffield-ARod, Pujols-Edmonds. Also think Bonds-nobody.)
Old 08-17-2005, 06:45 AM   #431
Blue Crack Addict

hell St. Louis is a small market team. in terms of actual market size St. Louis is ranked 26th out of the 30 MLB teams. being a small market doesnt mean you HAVE to have a tiny payroll, there are ways to make it work.

btw the Cardinals now have the most wins in MLB
Old 08-17-2005, 06:54 AM   #432
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
hell St. Louis is a small market team. in terms of actual market size St. Louis is ranked 26th out of the 30 MLB teams. being a small market doesnt mean you HAVE to have a tiny payroll, there are ways to make it work.
Very true, a lot of factors go into making a winner. An owner needs to be willing to spend some money and spend it wisely, though that is easier said than done. As long as fans come out to support the team, the team will have money to spend, a good tv deal helps too. It's cycle that is tought to initially start but once the team is good, fans will come out, money can be spent back into the product, keeping the fans there and so on.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:19 AM   #433
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!
well, it isn't much of a consolation at this point, but the Twins scored five runs in the 16th inning, and Joe Nathan came on in the bottom of the inning and struck out three consecutive white sock to seal a 9-4 victory.
Joe Nathan has turned into one hell of a closer.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:24 AM   #434
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:19 PM
Quote:
I really like how the Cardinals are built - thank god they dont give up as easy as your fantasybaseball team.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:59 AM   #435
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

suck it.