MLB 2K5 Down the Stretch Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
headache's super terrific mvp voting is final...

everyone always talks about a-rod only doing well in non clutch situations and that ortiz is the most clutch player since jerry west...

well... in the most important game of the season, a-rod goes 4-5 with a dinger, ortiz goes 1-4.

alex rodriguez - AL MVP

david ortiz - not the AL MVP

now if only i actually had a vote.

Chizip said:
its amazing, the yankees had what was considered a disasterous season, yet they still win 95 (maybe 96) games and the AL East for the 8th consecutive year. and they didnt go out and spend a ton of money to fix thier problems. Smalls, Wang, Chacon, Cano all has stepped up to lead them to the AL East title. Congrats to them, good teams find a way to get it done.

Maybe not a ton, but they spent a significant amount of money on Johnson, Wright and Pavano. But you're right, it was the scrap-heap guys and the rookies who made the bigger difference.

And maybe Tim Wakefield is right when he says knuckleballers need their rest.

Last edited:
I hate the fact that if the Red Sox beat the Yankees tomorrow they can't win the division, but such is life. They won the whole thing as the wild card last year, so it's not exactly a bad thing. As long as they win tomorrow, that is. The Yankees should rest some people.

Then again, the White Sox have rested people, and that hasn't helped the Indians any...

For the love God, Maddux must pull out some great shit tomorrow, beat the Astros, and of course, the Phils must win also, forcing a one-game playoff with the Asstros. I would be very happy to see my boys sneak into the playoffs. They are on fire right now!

Go Phillies!

phanan said:
I hate the fact that if the Red Sox beat the Yankees tomorrow they can't win the division, but such is life. They won the whole thing as the wild card last year, so it's not exactly a bad thing. As long as they win tomorrow, that is. The Yankees should rest some people.

Then again, the White Sox have rested people, and that hasn't helped the Indians any...

Joe Torre says that Jaret Wright will pitch and that some players will rest. Smart move, I agree. (Did the Yankees really need Mariano Rivera to save a 4-run lead?)

It seems kind of strange that the division winner is decided by an extra game if the Indians are also tied, whereas it's decided by head-to-head otherwise. But then again, it's debatable whether it's worth it to play an extra game just to have the chance for home-field advantage in the first round.

TheBrush said:
Mike Piazza's last game as a Met...............Im very sad today.

Been some talk, he wants to come back to So. CA and the Angels have been mentioned so he can DH...I loved Mike when he was here in Blue but I'm not sure he fits the Angel character/personality...

What to do with Mike?

hes lives near (closest to) baltimore and now that raffy's gone there might be a fit there. I would like to see that, him in a hitters ballpark for once. I mean hes a catcher thats hit in Shea and Dodger Stadium.

He's numbers would have been even more impressive if he had played half a career in a nice AL ballpark.

I think Anahiem is a possibility, he was nearly traded there during the season. Baltimore, maybe the whitesox(longer shot). We will have to wait and see.

zumanity42 said:
the angels are doing well...
w-sox almost stepped on their own d***s,
:eyebrow:
given my choice...i'd take chicago

have fun in cali, 'ankee fans...
:laugh:

I will have a lot of fun watching the Sox get routed in the first round... the White Sox is going back to their "old" game so it means big trouble for Boston. So keep on laughing if you want... but you will be out soon.

Yankees and L.A. is also a tough a series. So there is a strong possibility that both teams would be gone in the first round.

Well, the Red Sox do lead the season series over the White Sox 4-3.

Even with their HR power, the White Sox don't blow many teams out. They have a definite edge in pitching, but their pitchers do give up their share of walks and HRs, which is surely something that the Red Sox scouts have noticed by now.

I'm definitely glad the matchups worked out the way they did. I think this year the Yankees have an advantage over the Red Sox in a playoff series (mostly because of Randy Johnson), the Red Sox have an advantage over the Angels, but the Angels have an advantage over the Yankees.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
so the red sox lose the division and get the wild card yet end up with the much easier first round matchup...

perhaps torre shoulda tried to lose yesterday.

The Red Sox obviously tanked that game. Why else would Tim Wakefield throw a 75 mph "fastball" to Gary Sheffield?

About home field advantage: I think home field advantage in and of itself means almost nothing in the Angel/Yankee series. What might be slightly advantageous to the Angels in this series is that their players are pretty well rested and they've got their pitching staff lined up just the way they want it, while the Yankees haven't had a chance to catch a breath and they presumably had to get on a plane today and fly to L.A.

Nevertheless, the Yankees have a more imposing lineup than the Angels, they're playing with confidence and they aren't going to roll over for anyone.

Should be a helluva series.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
so the red sox lose the division and get the wild card yet end up with the much easier first round matchup...

perhaps torre shoulda tried to lose yesterday.

How are the White Sox and easy opponent

We won 99 games, the Cardinals won 100, not a big difference

Our starters match up better than any one

Colon cannot carry the angels and the redsox have no one who is formidible enough to be considered great right now

Our offense has had its slumps, but Paul Konerko and Jermaine Dye are not bad

pub crawler said:
Lol...the Angels' starting staff led the league in ERA. :wink:

got me there:wink:

Either way Orlando Hernandez killed the team era and he's gone:wink:

Contreras, Buerlhe, Garland,Garcia are pretty formidible

Garcia has a tendency to lose to bad teams, then step it up when it counts

Might want to check Contreras's recent history versus the Red Sox.

And we're over 500 posts...where's the playoff thread?

Back
Top Bottom