MLB 2K5 Down the Stretch Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With the White Sox clinching today, Ozzie can preparehis team by using the AAA scrubs against Cleveland this weekend, thus making the job for the Red Sox even more difficult.

Last edited:
Yeah, but if the Red Sox can't take 2 out of 3 from the Yankees this weekend, they probably wouldn't do well in the playoffs.

Manny Ortez strikes again. Big win for the Sox. Since when does Ortiz hit grounders to left field?

I'm Ready said:
ah nothing like the white sox finally winning the AL central

now we can say shut up to:

Woody Paige, said we would collapse and miss playoffs

Jay Marriotti, For just hating the white sox

ESPN, biased coverage and their analysts doubted us through the year

sports illustrated, predicted third place finish

Now we can relax and play well in the playoffs

I still think coming within THREE games of of losing the division after having a 15 game lead is a collapse.

I have a feeling the post-season will be short-lived.

pub crawler said:

Vlad was being congratulated on his legitimate MVP award. :ohmy:
Vlad was the 2004 AL MVP
David Ortiz was the 2004 ALCS MVP
Money Ramirez was the 2004 World Series MVP

I'm fine with that, how about you?

ARod may still win the MVP, so be it, but with what I witnessed last night, there is no doubt in my mind who I want at the plate with the game on the line in 2005, not ARod, not Vlad the Impaler, not Poo Holes, not a healthy Barry Bonds, certainly not Placido Polanco...David Ortiz hands down.

zonelistener said:

I still think coming within THREE games of of losing the division after having a 15 game lead is a collapse.

I have a feeling the post-season will be short-lived.

the white sox were up 15 games and technicaly could still end up tied for the division lead... they'd win the division based on the tie breaker technicality, which i for one do not like.

i know both teams will get into the playoffs either way... but baseball has always had a one game playoff system to decide the division winner. always.

so if the indians sweep this weekend series and end up with the same record as the white sox, they should have a one game playoff to decide who gets the division and who gets the wild card. afterall, the division winner gets homefield advantage, while the wild card winner does not.

this tie breaker shit is garbage.

and the white sox have been horrific for the past three months... they have, indeed, colapsed. they are a team with no offense and suspect pitching who got off to such a hot start that it ended up being just too much to shit away.

that said, once you get into the playoffs, as we all know, anything can happen.

perhaps the world series will be the white sox vs. the padres...

i'd laugh.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i know both teams will get into the playoffs either way... but baseball has always had a one game playoff system to decide the division winner. always.

2001 the Cardinals and the Astros had records of 93-69 and both made the playoffs without a one game playoff to decide the winner of the division and the winner of the wild card.

i guess "technically" the astros won the division because they played the team with the lesser record in the nlds, the braves whereas the cardinals had to play arizona in the first round and lost in 5 games.

so theyve been pulling this crap for a little bit now

without seeing the highlight or hearing about who was pitching, i'm gonna guess he was facing a leftie if he grounded it to the opposite field...

am i right?
You are not right, the pitcher, Miguel Batista was right. :wink:

WildHoneyAlways said:
Hooray Sock!

I'm still on the ledge, btw. :|

I am hoping that they pull it off somehow and make it the WS. But Garland, Buehrle and Contreras will all have to pitch like gang-busters for that to happen.

PS, will El Duque have any post season magic?

Ody said:

I am hoping that they pull it off somehow and make it the WS. But Garland, Buehrle and Contreras will all have to pitch like gang-busters for that to happen.

PS, will El Duque have any post season magic?

If by magic you mean wild pitches and 4 run innings, yes. :wink:

So, tonight is the night and the beginning of what we all expected...

So I a not called "triumphalistic" by some, I am going to express that I want the Yankees to win with all my heart, and do so BEFORE the beginning of the 3-game series...

Go Yankees!

Yanklogo.jpg

it's bulldinky. it's the only thing wrong with the way the playoff's is currently set up. everything else is wonderful.

i dont think its the only thing wrong with the current system.

i think once the playoffs start they should reseed. the team with the best record always plays the team with the worst record. if the phillies had won the wildcard the cardinals would have had to play them while Atlanta got to play the Padres. that's the reward for having the best record? playing a good team on a roll while the team with the second best record gets some poor schmucks who cant even finish .500?

i also think the wild card team should be disadvantaged a bit more as well. i hate neyer but i like this idea he came up with. add 1 more wildcard team, then have them play a 1 game play in. the winner of that game plays the team with the best record. the wildcard teams will have to use their best pitchers in that 1 game, so it will cause some matchup problems in the first round. i really like that idea.

plus get rid of the lame ass homefield advantage from the all star game.

the let teh division winner play the team with the worst record regardless of record makes sense...

the team with the better record should get home field for the world series.

wanna make the all star game better? give the winners a million dollars each. not like mlb can't afford it.

and btw, you're wanted in the NFL thread...

the let teh division winner play the team with the worst record regardless of record makes sense...

yeah but this line really doesnt make any sense

also i think its stupid the wild card team cant play a team from the same division in the first round. the only reason they came up with this is because they didnt want the Red Sox and Yankees going against each other in the first round. its stupid to have a rule for just 2 teams.

Chizip said:

also i think its stupid the wild card team cant play a team from the same division in the first round. the only reason they came up with this is because they didnt want the Red Sox and Yankees going against each other in the first round. its stupid to have a rule for just 2 teams.
This rule went into effect when the new 3 divison format was instituted, 1995. First year the Yanks and Red Sox both made the playoffs was 1999. This rule has nothing to do with Boston and NY...in fact if anything your logic is flawed cause eliminating the rule would give MLB a better shot at having the Sox/Yanks matchup cause it would allow a possible divisonal round series, eliminating the possibility either team gets knocked out in the first round.

The NFL had the same rule in effecet prior to expanding the playoff field to 5, and then 6 teams per conference years ago.

well chiz said they'd rather have the yankees and red sox meet in the alcs as opposed to the alds... which is most certainly true. i don't know if this had anything to do with not wanting divisional winners play the wild card team if the wild card is from teh same division, but... eh... i dunno. i think they just assumed that the wild card winner would have a worse record than the divisonal winner.

Jeremi Gonzalez is pitching, and Jason Varitek did not enter the game, so the Red Sox are mailing today's game in.

Go White Sox.

Last edited:
its amazing, the yankees had what was considered a disasterous season, yet they still win 95 (maybe 96) games and the AL East for the 8th consecutive year. and they didnt go out and spend a ton of money to fix thier problems. Smalls, Wang, Chacon, Cano all has stepped up to lead them to the AL East title. Congrats to them, good teams find a way to get it done.

Back
Top Bottom