MLB 2K5 Down the Stretch Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A-ROD
G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BA OBP SLG
Season 158 589 119 188 28 1 47 129 18 .319 .421 .610

ortiz
Season 155 588 115 174 39 1 46 144 1 .296 .392 .600

looking at the up to date stats, its A-ROD easy.
Plus he might win a gold glove also.

it's looking more and more like a-rod's gonna wrap this thing up... he leads ortiz in every single category except for RBIs... which, in my opinion, is the most important category... but ortiz's lead isn't that large, and ortiz does have the better lead-off hitter in front of him.

frankly the fact that a-rod's probably gonna win the Gold Glove at third base this year, a position he's only played for two years, is and should hold more weight than Ortiz's 15 RBI lead... esp. if the yankees win the division.

but again... all this can change this weekend if Ortiz has a monster series and A-Rod does nothing.

Imarocker said:
A-ROD
Season 158 589 119 188 28 1 47 129 18 .319 .421 .610

ortiz
Season 155 588 115 174 39 1 46 144 1 .296 .392 .600

looking at the up to date stats, its A-ROD easy.
Plus he might win a gold glove also.

How do those stats make it easy for Arod? The are almost identical.

I posted this a while back from the sons of sam horn site.

--------- David Ortiz ---------
Margin PA BA OBP SA OPS
1 – 2* 261 .318 .418 .701 1.119
3 to 5 232 .318 .422 .552 .974
6 or more 153 .231 .320 .515 .835

---- Alex Rodriguez ---------
PA BA OBP SA OPS
1 – 2* 248 .255 .347 .463 .810
3 to 5 237 .323 .447 .599 1.046
6 or more 148 .420 .486 .809 1.295

Yes, the totals may be close but look at the crunch time numbers. When it is close Ortiz is the best money player in the game. Arod has padded his stats against mop up pitching.

Chizip said:
hey headache, what do you know about David Checketts?

sorry this is not baseball related :shifty:

former president of madison square garden, was baisicly the guy who resurected the place in the early 90s... making it the "in" place to be in new york thanks to the success of the knicks and the rangers. resigned in 2000 or 2001 because jim dolan kept taking more and more hands on control, and checketts could see what was happening... i.e. dolan driving the entire organization into the ground.

why?

WildHoneyAlways said:
I heard this morning that the Sock could still finish with the best record in baseball. :huh: How could that be? Anyone?

They probably will end up 2nd behind the cards. all they need is a couple of wins to do that.

guess you didn't see the sports reporters on sunday morning. I root for anyone BUT the red sox. actually I'd like to see the cards win it.
another thing about the mvp...

which is harder to replace?
a gold glove 3b that plays everyday with great off. numbers or
a dh which can be filled in by a number of players.

I think its the 3rd baseman....
that's what is MOST VALUABLE

Headache in a Suitcase said:

and lastly, after kissing a-rod's ass for so long, which i should stop doing because that's jeter's ass to kiss, not mine... allow me to bash the yanks a bit and say that michael kay is the absolute worst annoucer in all of baseball. listening to him makes my ears bleed. at least sterling's funny. this guy's just nausiating.

Never heard the Yankees announcer, but I have to say that the bozo who announces White Sox games should be dragged out into the street and shot.

Imarocker said:

Depends on how well the DH hits. I'd give A-Rod the nod this year. But what if Ortiz's numbers were, say, .320-58-170? That'd be pretty hard to replace. That's why I think rules like "a DH should never win the MVP" are meaningless.

speedracer said:

Never heard the Yankees announcer, but I have to say that the bozo who announces White Sox games should be dragged out into the street and shot.

michael kay is SUCH a homer it's rediculous.

i mean, i've heard my share of really bad homers before... eh hem... eh hem... cough coughtommyheinsoncough...

but the thing that makes kay so bad is that he actually tries to deny that he's a homer. he claims he's 100% impartial.

he's like the fox news of broadcasting.

john sterling, on the other hand... the guy who does the yankees radio broadcasting, has crossed over that line of "i'm such a bad announcer that i'm actually entertaining." he's the guy who does the whole "it is high... it is far... iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit is gooooooone." and "yankees win... thehehhauhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh yankees win" thing. he's so over the top that i actually enjoy listening to him because he cracks me up, even though he might not neccesarily be trying to...

Imarocker said:

You think that Ortiz can be replaced by a number of players? How many other players, let alone DHs, have put up his type of numbers?

speedracer said:

Depends on how well the DH hits. I'd give A-Rod the nod this year. But what if Ortiz's numbers were, say, .320-58-170? That'd be pretty hard to replace. That's why I think rules like "a DH should never win the MVP" are meaningless.

i'm with you. if a DH's numbers are lightyears ahead of everyone else's, he should get the MVP, despite the fact that he's a no good DH.

if someone who plays the field every day... and not just plays the field, but plays it at a gold glove caliber... has comparable numbers, they should never give it to the DH.

The fact that the Padres have clinched the NL west with a .500 record tells you there is something wrong with the way baseball teams qualify for the playoffs...

U2@NYC said:
The fact that the Padres have clinched the NL west with a .500 record tells you there is something wrong with the way baseball teams qualify for the playoffs...

I was just talking about this. There's a good chance that they will finish under .500, yet there are plenty of teams over .500 that aren't going to be playing next week. Kinda of a silly way to rank, if you ask me.

Imarocker said:
I root for anyone BUT the red sox. actually I'd like to see the cards win it.

Almost everyone here has a favorite team, a team to pull for and hope for.

You don't. And it makes anything you say less respectable.

Saw the Yanks beat the O's last night in Camden, great pitching battle.

Scored tickets to two games at the ALDS, hopefully NY pulls through and edges out the Sox.

It's going to be a TV weekend :drool:

the 1973 mets won the NL east with a record of 82-79. they made it to the world series before eventually losing to oakland in 7 games. this was back when there was just two divisons and certainly no wild card.

the padres are a joke, but not an unprecedented joke.

the american league playoff race tells you there is something very right with the way baseball teams qualify for the playoffs.

pub crawler said:
I sooo hope the f'n Red Sox make the playoffs and meet the Angels in the first round. I want to see the bosox get their asses wiped all over the field.

God I hate that f'n team. :mad:
Of all the teams left, the last team you should hope to meet is the Red Sox, and you of all people should know that. The Angies seem to be the most complete team in the AL, however, they match up quite poorly against the Red Sox.
I think your Angies have a great shot at making the WS if and only if they do not have to face the Red Sox in either round.

At any rate it looks like an unlikely scenario for the first round. If the Yanks win the divison, and Sox are Wildcard, the Angies play the Yanks. If the Sox win the divison and the Injuns are the wildcars, Angies get the Indians.
The only way the Sox get the opportunity to pummel your Angies again in the divisional round is if they win the division and the Yanks win the wildcard, which seems the least likely scenario currently, the Sox would likely need to sweep the Yanks this weekned and the Injuns would need to get swept by the Chisox.

But just remember these words: be careful what you wish for.

well if i were the southern california metroplex angels, i'd actually prefer the sox over the yankees, but i really wouldn't care either way.

both teams have massive pitching issues, both with the starting pitching and the middle relief. the only thing that puts the yankees pitching in just a teeeny weenie better situation than the red sox staff is the yanks have rivera and the sox do not.

other than that, both staff's pitching is horrific.

MrBrau1 said:

Almost everyone here has a favorite team, a team to pull for and hope for.

You don't. And it makes anything you say less respectable.

actually being from Mich I try to root for the Tigers, unfortunatley until they get a new owner; like the lions, they will just hover at or below .500 But they do have more Championships over the last 87 years then some teams.
Therefore I can choose to root for whoever. if you don't like it, don't read it.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
cough coughtommyheinsoncough...

You're too young to have ever heard Johnny Most do the Celtics radio play by play.
He made Heinson sound like he was the opponent's announcer.
Friggin hilarious stuff, like if McHale for example goes inside and didn't draw a foul the call would be like (you probably know Johnny's voice from the famous "Havlicek stole the ball" bit, so imagine that voice angry, not elated):
McHale drives to the hoop puts up a shot, gets fouled by Worthy and they don't call it! He was hacked, I can't believe they didn't call that, they're mugging Kevin McHale every time he gets the ball and the refs aren't calling anything...this is unbelievable, they're just trying to give this game to the Lakers. Somebody call the cops, he was mugged.

Great stuff.

pub crawler said:
Anyone else experiencing Deja Vu?
I seem to remember someon being awful boastful about a year ago about a team from several cities in southern California and how they were gonna stomp the Red Sox, and then this mighty team which roasted the competition in its weak division got swept, barely putting up a fight.

Imarocker said:

actually being from Mich I try to root for the Tigers, unfortunatley until they get a new owner; like the lions, they will just hover at or below .500 But they do have more Championships over the last 87 years then some teams.
Therefore I can choose to root for whoever. if you don't like it, don't read it.

Based on that Bill Simmons would not view you as a true fan, since you are in clear violation of the following rule:

Loyalties
18. If you live in a city that has fielded a professional team since your formative years, you have to root for that team. None of this, "The Bengals weren't very good when I was growing up in Cincy, so I became a Cowboys fan" crap.

Also, you can't start rooting for a team, back off when they're in a down cycle, then renew the relationship once the team starts winning again. All those Cowboys fans who jumped off the bandwagon in the late-'80s, jumped back on during the Emmitt/Aikman Era, then jumped back off in the late-'90s ... you know who you are. You shouldn't even be allowed out in public.

(There's nothing worse than a Bandwagon Jumper. If sports were a prison and sports fans made up all the prisoners, the Bandwagon Jumpers would be like the child molesters -- everyone else would pick on them, take turns beating them up and force them to toss more salads than Emeril Lagasse.)

Back
Top Bottom