MLB 2K5 Down the Stretch Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hewson said:
The man should be in the hall of fame

He should be in the Hall. For 12 years, from 75-86, he was arguably the best hitter in baseball. I think only Mike Schmidt hit more home-runs?

I remember watching a game where the Sox were playing at the Wanks, and Rice went near the stands to chase a foul ball. He lost his hat over the wall, and started looking for it, only to see a Wankee fan running up the stands with it.

What did he do? He jumped the wall and chased the guy up the stairs and took his hat back. Fucking classic!

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

He should be in the Hall. For 12 years, from 75-86, he was arguably the best hitter in baseball. I think only Mike Schmidt hit more home-runs?

I remember watching a game where the Sox were playing at the Wanks, and Rice went near the stands to chase a foul ball. He lost his hat over the wall, and started looking for it, only to see a Wankee fan running up the stands with it.

What did he do? He jumped the wall and chased the guy up the stairs and took his hat back. Fucking classic!

dude I saw that game on TV. There was all kinds of crazy stuff happening that day, if it's the same game I remember.

This would have been a baseball game of the week, Saturday on NBC with Vin Scully and Joe Garagiola, of course you may have been there so you may not know about the TV thing. Around 85/86, or possibly 87. At Yankee stadium, the whole Sox teams went up in the stands

I remember some dude running out of the stands at Yankess stadium and trying to rip the padding off the wall. It was bizarre.

anyone have an explanation for why the Yankees go to sleep offensively when Big Unit pitches? Seems like he suffered some of the same things in Arizona, I guess they figure it's going to be easy.

Also, it's not my argument Sox and Yank fans, my boys already clinched but I think most certainly a DH can win the MVP. Ever since the voters jumped the fuggin shark and gave it to Willie Hernandez back in the mid 80's. At least a DH could conceivably make the everday lineup.

Last edited:
Also, it's not my argument Sox and Yank fans, my boys already clinched but I think most certainly a DH can win the MVP. Ever since the voters jumped the fuggin shark and gave it to Willie Hernandez back in the mid 80's. At least a DH could conceivably make the everday lineup. [/B][/QUOTE]

actually the voters jumped in 81 when they gave it to Rollie Fingers. Hernandez had a great season only blowing 1 save & that was in the last week.
anybody can be a DH but not many people win 20 games or save 40+ games..or actually aren't a liability that they play the field also. There's also a couple guys in texas who deserve some votes, they're having pretty good years.

Imarocker said:
Below is the AL MVP's since the DH was started...

2004 Vladimir Guerrero Anaheim RF
2003 Alex Rodriguez Texas SS
2002 Miguel Tejada Oakland SS
2001 Ichiro Suzuki Seattle RF
2000 Jason Giambi Oakland 1B
1999 Ivan Rodriguez Texas C
1998 Juan Gonzalez Texas OF
1997 Ken Griffey, Jr. Seattle OF
1996 Juan Gonzalez Texas OF
1995 Mo Vaughn Boston 1B
1994 Frank Thomas Chicago 1B
1993 Frank Thomas Chicago 1B
1992 Dennis Eckersley Oakland P
1991 Cal Ripken, Jr. Baltimore SS
1990 Rickey Henderson Oakland OF
1989 Robin Yount Milwaukee OF
1988 Jose Canseco Oakland OF
1987 George Bell Toronto OF
1986 Roger Clemens Boston P
1985 Don Mattingly New York 1B
1984 Willie Hernandez Detroit P
1983 Cal Ripken, Jr. Baltimore SS
1982 Robin Yount Milwaukee SS
1981 Rollie Fingers Milwaukee P
1980 George Brett Kansas City 3B
1979 Don Baylor California OF
1978 Jim Rice Boston OF
1977 Rod Carew Minnesota 1B
1976 Thurman Munson New York C
1975 Fred Lynn Boston OF
1974 Jeff Burroughs Texas

as you can see no DH has won & none will, just not that important of a position to warrant it.

Jim Rice played 28% of the 1978 season as a DH.
Don Baylor played 40% of the 1979 season as a DH.
Juan Gonzalez played 25% of the 1996 season as a DH.
Juan Gonzalzez played 25% of the 1998 season as a DH.

so your statement that no DH has ever won the MVP isn't entirely true... no full time DH has ever won, but there have been 4 American League MVP's who have played at least a quarter of their season as a DH... one, Baylor, played nearly half the season as a DH.

And in all honesty I agree with you that I don't like giving it to a DH over a guy with similar stats who's also a gold glove winner... but that's just me.

My only argument against Ortiz, besides the DH thing, is this...

If I'm putting together a team and I can take just one Yankee, I'm taking Alex Rodriguez.

If I'm putting together a team and I can take just one Red Sox, I'm taking Manny Ramirez.

U2DMfan said:
anyone have an explanation for why the Yankees go to sleep offensively when Big Unit pitches? Seems like he suffered some of the same things in Arizona, I guess they figure it's going to be easy.

you can use this exact statement and use it for so many of the great pitchers in the game...

anyone have an explanation for why the Astros go to sleep offensively when Clemens pitches? I guess they figure it's going to be easy.

anyone have an explanation for why the Mets go to sleep offensively when Pedro pitches? I guess they figure it's going to be easy.

"If I'm putting together a team and I can take just one Red Sox, I'm taking Manny Ramirez"

If I had to pick one red sox it'd be Veratek
Manny's too much of a liability in the field.

Imarocker said:

race will be over by then....with the yanks & clev in the post season

You'd think Wankee fans, especially after last year, would realise it's not over until the last out is recorded.

phanan said:

Unfortunately for you the Yankees go on the road, including the last three at Fenway.

No worries.

That does not guarantee you much with the way the Red Sox is playing... I am not being over-optimistic but it is definetly the way this playoff run should end: with a series between the two.

And the Yankees still have the next 4 at home, one more with the Orioles and 3 with the Blue Jays...

U2@NYC said:

That does not guarantee you much with the way the Red Sox is playing... I am not being over-optimistic but it is definetly the way this playoff run should end: with a series between the two.

And the Yankees still have the next 4 at home, one more with the Orioles and 3 with the Blue Jays...

With the best home record in the league, I think it guarantees a lot. We shall see.

Imarocker said:
"If I'm putting together a team and I can take just one Red Sox, I'm taking Manny Ramirez"

you can have him, and my team will beat the shit out of yours.

people who use the ole "manny's a liability in the field" line make me laugh.

you won't take his annual 130+ RBIs based on the 10 or so runs he costs the red sox in the field each year.

right.

perchance, is your name steve philliips?

phanan said:

With the best home record in the league, I think it guarantees a lot. We shall see.

Well, the Yankees also have a pretty good road record... but every Yankees - Red Sox game is different, regardless of where they play.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

you won't take his annual 130+ RBIs based on the 10 or so runs he costs the red sox in the field each year.

right.

Would you want to deal with Manny being a complete headcase and asking for days off on a regular basis? Or guy that consistently dogs it to first base on ground balls. He's a fantastic hitter, I won't argue against that but I think I'd take Ortiz over Manny at this point.

randhail said:

Would you want to deal with Manny being a complete headcase and asking for days off on a regular basis? Or guy that consistently dogs it to first base on ground balls. He's a fantastic hitter, I won't argue against that but I think I'd take Ortiz over Manny at this point.

ortiz would be hurt more by taking ramirez out of the lineup than ramirez would be hurt by taking ortiz out of the lineup.

as for the headcase? frankly... manny's just a wack-a-doo. he probably thinks he still plays for cleveland. he's not a bad guy and his teammates love him. he's just goofy.

was just listening to the Dan Patrick show on ESPN Radio and he had Reggie Miller on discussing who should win the AL MVP. Reggie kept on saying Big "Poppa" should win. Dan said, "This is small, but it's really Big Papi." Reggie didn't hear him though.:laugh:

i'd laugh if travis haffner came out of no where to win the MVP and made yankee and red sox fans both cry.
Hafner's having a great season, but would need about 20 HRs and 40 RBI over his last 10 games for his numbers to end up comnparable to ARoid and Ortiz'.
So its not gonna happen, and frankly if it did, or if they gave it Mark Texiera (his numbers are closer, but his team sucks), I wouldn't cry.
The only MVPs we really care about here are the one Manny won last year, also the 2 that Tom Brady has (I know they can't possibly compare to Peyton's 1.5 league MVP awards in the eyes of most) and the one Deion Branch collected last February.
Regular season awards are nice, but in the end I'll take championships, so if Aroid gets MVP and Papi leads the Red Sox to another title, it won't bother me in the least.

right.

perchance, is your name steve philliips?

no its not, since you think your team will beat mine here's my starting lineup pitchers to come later.....

1. Ichiro RF
2. Soriano 2B
3. A Rod 3B
4. A Jones CF
5. Guerrero DH
6. Teixeira 1B
7. Tejada SS
8. M. Cabera LF
9. V. Martinez C

I didn't even take any of your red sux either I can do without lousy fielding.
not only can these guy HIT they play DEFENSE too.

Hewson said:
Hafner's having a great season, but would need about 20 HRs and 40 RBI over his last 10 games for his numbers to end up comnparable to ARoid and Ortiz'.
So its not gonna happen, and frankly if it did, or if they gave it Mark Texiera (his numbers are closer, but his team sucks), I wouldn't cry.
The only MVPs we really care about here are the one Manny won last year, also the 2 that Tom Brady has (I know they can't possibly compare to Peyton's 1.5 league MVP awards in the eyes of most) and the one Deion Branch collected last February.
Regular season awards are nice, but in the end I'll take championships, so if Aroid gets MVP and Papi leads the Red Sox to another title, it won't bother me in the least.

one could argue that travis haffner is more valuable to his team... but i know, i'm would vote for a-rod or pappi over haffner anyways... was just tossing it out there.

Imarocker said:

Meanwhile Manny leads the AL in outfield assists. Though its partly a byproduct of Fenway's short LF and people thinking he's easy to run on, he actually has a pretty good arm, not the cannon Vlad the Impaler has, but certainly miles ahead of the wet noodles Bernie Williams and Johnny Damon have hanging from their shoulders.
His bat makes up for any defensive liabilities 10 fold over the course of a season.
The positions where defense is most critical are up the middle (C, SS, CF are highest priority), there are plenty of LF in baseball who are in the lineup for their bat far more than their glove, MAnny among them.

Oh and its "Varitek". If you're trying to woo him on your team you should spell his name right on the offer sheet.:wink:

Imarocker said:
I didn't even take any of your red sux either I can do without lousy fielding.

if you ever call the red sox my team again i will smack you with a wet noodle.

i fucking hate the red sox and the yankees. i hope both teams fold and never play again.

that said, the only hitters in all of baseball i'd take over manny ramirez are albert pujols, vlad guerrero and alex rodriguez. the fact that he's a red sox and i friggin hate anything to do with boston does not cloud my judgement on the fact that the man is an absolute beast of an RBI guy.

and i friggin hate anything to do with boston

well... except of course the hewson-headache center...

fleet.jpg

:heart:

:lol: :lol:

Manny's on his way down if he didn't play in the sandbox his rbi's would be less...I bet most of his assists are at home.

I decided I didn't want varitek must edit Pujols for Teixeira
that makes the team better...

Back
Top Bottom