MLB 2014 Continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Huge win for Detroit. Smyly is a very good lefty, and has great potential. And Jackson has a great arm, glove and speed. But is very undisciplined and erratic at the plate. But again, has great potential. But I'll take a cy young winner in his prime over great potential.

TODAY’S TRADES
A’s acquire LHP Jon Lester and OF Jonny Gomes from Boston for OF Yoenis Cespedes
Twins acquire LHP Tommy Milone from A’s for OF Sam Fuld
Cardinals acquire RHP John Lackey, minor-league lefty Corey Littrell and cash for OF Allen Craig and RHP Joe Kelly
Brewers acquire OF Gerardo Parra from Diamondbacks for two minor-leaguers, OF Mitch Haniger and LHP Anthony Banda
Orioles acquire LHP Andrew Miller from Red Sox for minor-league LHP Eduardo Rodriguez
Mariners acquire OF Chris Denorfia from Padres for two minor-leaguers
Nationals acquire SS Asdrubal Cabrera from Indians for INF Zach Walters
Report: Yankees acquire SS Stephen Drew from Red Sox
Report: Tigers acquire LHP David Price from Rays in three-way trade involving Mariners

Or something like that, according to ESPN

EDIT: And there goes another one - "The #Astros trade Cosart to the #Marlins."

Damn good move for Detroit. Kinda crazy, they pulled Jackson out of centerfield in the middle of the fucking inning. With the bases loaded. Never seen anything like it. I was watching it live. And Smyly started the game!

I've always really liked Austin Jackson, as I've stated here before. He's played tremendous defense against us for years. But you have to do it if you get David Damn Price in return. Tigers just turned up to the party.

Russell sucks. Good move for Cubbies.

Oh he's awful, glad he's gone. Gonna miss Bonifacio, though. He was instrumental in getting me way back into MLB at the beginning of this season. Watching him was a real treat. Was also really happy to watch him play again for a couple of weeks after he returned from the DL.

Sounds like we got a minor league catch from ATL...

Damn good move for Detroit. Kinda crazy, they pulled Jackson out of centerfield in the middle of the fucking inning. With the bases loaded. Never seen anything like it. I was watching it live. And Smyly started the game!

I've always really liked Austin Jackson, as I've stated here before. He's played tremendous defense against us for years. But you have to do it if you get David Damn Price in return. Tigers just turned up to the party.

Yeah. Tough to see him go. He's a good kid and a good player. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Hey my 23,000th post here was a post where I talked shit about a Cubs player! Seems appropriate. Fuck yes. Go White Sox.

HA! Nice, GAF. Glad the team could be of service.

And, yep: #Cubs have acquired switch-hitting catching prospect Victor Caratini from the @Braves for LHP James Russell, IF/OF Emilio Bonifacio & cash.

Asdrubal Cabrera isn't quite what I envisioned as a Ryan Zimmerman replacement. He's not clutch enough and makes a ton of errors. He's definitely more reliable at the plate than Danny Espinosa, but his glove is much worse.

Indians fans are thrilled that they'll get to see Francisco Lindor more than they are about getting Walters from us, so hey, maybe we did the right thing for both teams.

Last edited:
Is anyone else kind of surprised thats all Tampa got for Price?

That's what I've seen a lot of chatting about on the Cubs board. Basically the prevailing theory is that there just wasn't as much out there as people thought, and after the Cubs/A's deal and even the Lester deal, the Rays just waited too long.

Man, what should we care if his body's breaking down as long as he can make it through the season? Cleveland gave us cash for him and he'll be out of here in the offseason. If Williams plays Cabrera against RHSP and Espinosa against LHSP we'll actually get some production at second base.

If Price was an impending free agent I'd say the Rays got bent over and you know what...but since Price is under contract next year as well, they also got sand in the KY. A lot of sand.

As a Tigers fan, I'm shocked that Drew Smyly and Austin Jackson is all Detroit had to give up to get a Cy Young winning pitcher. They're good players. But we had a lot more they could've gotten.

Its a briliant move for the Tiggers.
They now have on their roster the 2011, 2012 and 2013 AL Cy Young winners and the 2011, 2012 and 2013 AL MVP's.

Holy crap, the Red Sox and the Yankees actually made a deal.

It's pretty remarkable, really, but as I think of it, it's not that surprising. I feel the rivalry hasn't been as intense over the part 4-5 years, for some reason. Not sure if you Red Sox fans agree.

Edit: appartently it's the first trade between the two teams since 1997 (the Mike Stanton trade).

After 2004, its definitely never been quite the same.
That was the peak of it in this century. Pedro leaving Boston probably had as much to do with that as the 2004 ALCS comeback did.

But even that pales in comparison to the late 70's. Those teams hated one another passionately.

Yeah. Plus, the current crop of characters is not really hated on either side, I feel (A-Rod excluded, but that's not a Boston exclusivity). Beckett, Papelbon and Youkilis leaving had something to do with that too.

Edit: I forgot about Ortiz. That's the only dislikeable one from a Yankees perspective, I think.

I do plan however for nostalgia's sake to start a "Nomar's better" chant tomorrow night as its the last time I'll see Jeter play in person. I'm sitting behind the plate, so if you're watching the game listen to see if I can get the crowd to join in.

If they don't you'll know the rivalry is pretty much completely neutered.

Back
Top Bottom