MLB 2014 Continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You don't think he can get 90 Mil?
Are you serious?

The "hometown discount" numbers being bandied about the past few weeks were 5 yrs $125 Mil, and that wasn't a good enough deal, the years was the sticking point, he's looking to get (and surely will) 6 yrs, a team may even go 7. He's probably going to get 6 or 7 years and the total dollars will end up between 150 Mil and 180 Mil somewhere.

90 mil? What is this 1998?

Well, 1999.

Why anyone would give a 31 year old pitcher 5/125 blows my mind, much less 150-180.

And I wasn't saying he wont get that much. I'm just saying I'm going to laugh. Because it's gonna be a great move for the first few years and then it's going to CC in your face. Not that teams like the Yankees and Dodgers actually care... they seem to spend money like they can just print it whenever they need more.

I bet Lester signs somewhere for over $140m. Don't think the Yankees will be on him, though. Their pitching has been fine even with all the injuries, and they don't need another aging pitcher on a big contract.

And I wasn't saying he wont get that much. I'm just saying I'm going to laugh. Because it's gonna be a great move for the first few years and then it's going to CC in your face. Not that teams like the Yankees and Dodgers actually care... they seem to spend money like they can just print it whenever they need more.

Which is the reason the Red Sox wouldn't go past 5 years (really only want to go 4), because of the CC's and Halladay's of this world. But to land a top flight guy you have to overpay with the knowledge that the last year or 2 may be dead or seriously overinflated. But there are always exceptions also, and Lester has zero injury history since recovering from cancer, and seems a better risk than most.

I bet Lester signs somewhere for over $140m. Don't think the Yankees will be on him, though. Their pitching has been fine even with all the injuries, and they don't need another aging pitcher on a big contract.

A lefty who has a career .636 win pct and 3.64 ERA pitching entirely in the AL East and is 3-0 with a 0.43 ERA in 2 World Series and you think the Yanks won't be interested? Shallow Hal and Mr. Hankey are already building Lester a house in the Hamptons. (Gotta love those Hampton tomatoes)

Athletics likely to be trading Hammel. That's hilarious.

Also, looks like the Rays ARE going to deal Price...I'm kinda surprised, honestly. They're probably going to make the playoffs at the rate they're going.

Which is the reason the Red Sox wouldn't go past 5 years (really only want to go 4), because of the CC's and Halladay's of this world. But to land a top flight guy you have to overpay with the knowledge that the last year or 2 may be dead or seriously overinflated. But there are always exceptions also, and Lester has zero injury history since recovering from cancer, and seems a better risk than most.

True, but regression isn't always injury related. I totally see Lester as an ironman, and definitely will live into his contract in terms of durability...

On the other side, I see a pitcher having a career year in a contract season. In any sport, I generally think that's never a good sign for a player looking to get a long term contract. I imagine you'll see those numbers falling back to career averages... not worth it from any team's POV if you ask me.

And bye bye birdie:

#Phillies send OF Marlon Byrd to the #Yankees for IF prospect Carlos Guzman and PTBNL.

UGH, ignore this one. I jumped the gun on a fake twitter account...but at least I wasn't alone on that one.

EDIT: It seems the fake Joel Sherman account was right after all...or Jim Bowden is reporting things he sees on a fake Joel Sherman twitter account....the internet, everyone.

A lefty who has a career .636 win pct and 3.64 ERA pitching entirely in the AL East and is 3-0 with a 0.43 ERA in 2 World Series and you think the Yanks won't be interested? Shallow Hal and Mr. Hankey are already building Lester a house in the Hamptons. (Gotta love those Hampton tomatoes)

And a former Red Sox to boot. Yes, I think under normal circumstances he's the type of pitcher they would go after. But I think ownership has shown that they don't want to go over a $220m payroll, especially when you already have CC and Tanaka and their big contracts. A-Rod's salary also comes back to the payroll next year. If they are going to spend big money next offseason, I think it will be on a bat, and try to get something cost-efffective for pitching (resigning McCarthy, maybe?).

And a former Red Sox to boot. Yes, I think under normal circumstances he's the type of pitcher they would go after. But I think ownership has shown that they don't want to go over a $220m payroll, especially when you already have CC and Tanaka and their big contracts. A-Rod's salary also comes back to the payroll next year. If they are going to spend big money next offseason, I think it will be on a bat, and try to get something cost-efffective for pitching (resigning McCarthy, maybe?).

Eh, they have only what $161 Mil in commitments for next year, add in 25 Mil for Lester and you're at 186, still leaves them 34 Mil to round out the last 14 spots on the roster. :ohmy::D

Plus no need to add a bat, they have ARod coming back!

Back
Top Bottom