MLB 2014-15: It's Time for the HOT STOVE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilsFan

Blue Crack Addict
The San Francisco Giants won the 2014 World Series about an hour ago. Carry on.

No one in this thread is allowed to talk about uniforms.

Fuck the Giants.

I don't get this line of thought.

Is it simply because they're good that you don't like them? That they "win too often" or something silly like that?

This is a dynasty built around largely home grown players and quality pitching, as opposed to the teams that spend the most money. You'd think it would give somebody like you a boner that they are so good.

For me it's because they've had a lot of insufferable players, from Brian Wilson to Aubrey Huff to Jonathan Sanchez to Buster Posey (he seems to have picked up the Jorge Posada/Yadi Molina knack for being the "catcher who whines constantly") to Cody fucking Ross. I just don't like them, even if most of those players haven't been around for a while. I actually like the Cardinals more, despite their generally horrible fanbase.

For me it's because they've had a lot of insufferable players, from Brian Wilson to Aubrey Huff to Jonathan Sanchez to Buster Posey (he seems to have picked up the Jorge Posada/Yadi Molina knack for being the "catcher who whines constantly") to Cody fucking Ross. I just don't like them, even if most of those players haven't been around for a while. I actually like the Cardinals more, despite their generally horrible fanbase.
This year's version seems pretty likeable to me as a neutral fan. All those guys you mentioned are gone aside from Posey, who doesn't bother me much.

Plus now Jake Peavy can buy a cable car to go alongside his duck boat.

So we're currently in the midst of a very long discussion on Facebook over whether or not Gordon should have been sent home on the last hit.

I say no, he would have been out by 20 feet. What do you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think he'd have only been out by 15 feet, and it would have been an embarassing way to end the World Series for the Royals. Only chance he scores there is if there's just a horrific throw to the plate.

Travis and I debated that until long after the game was over and it no longer even mattered, but I'm sticking to my guns, I think it would've been a play at the plate, but the kind where it was obvious he didn't stand much of a chance, outside of an overthrow, and I just don't think it's worth the risk. Were I a fan of the team, I'd be much more upset with Perez whiffing at some insanely HIGH pitches.

So we're currently in the midst of a very long discussion on Facebook over whether or not Gordon should have been sent home on the last hit.

I would have held him at third as well.

Is it simply because they're good that you don't like them? That they "win too often" or something silly like that?

This is a dynasty built around largely home grown players and quality pitching, as opposed to the teams that spend the most money. You'd think it would give somebody like you a boner that they are so good.

My opinion: dynasties are boring. Doesn't matter the team or sport and it's nothing personal. The fact that an NBA team nearly pulled a 3peat is why that league is far from a favorite of mine, despite loving the sport itself.

I wouldn't say "fuck the Giants," they didn't do anything wrong, but still :yawn:

Game was over anyway, they weren't getting two hits off of Bumgarner swinging for the fences on every pitch (some of those swings were terribly desperate). Might as well end the game with some drama and push their luck as far as it could go.

The way that specific play went, the ball would have been dropped at home anyway.

Last edited:

They haven't been that good though. 436-374 in the last 5 years with an average run differential of only +33 runs per year. They've just gotten very lucky multiple times. That's not a dynasty. Also, I hate Michael Morse and Matt Cain.

They haven't been that good though. 436-374 in the last 5 years with an average run differential of only +33 runs per year. They've just gotten very lucky multiple times. That's not a dynasty. Also, I hate Michael Morse and Matt Cain.

And the dignity is gone, goodbye! :lol::lol: 3 titles in 5 years. Nothing to see here. Move along.

And hear I thought there was no such thing as luck.

The Giants have a great pitching staff and a balanced lineup. They're built for the post season. It's not luck.

Are they dominant? No. But that doesn't exist anymore. The league is more balanced than it's been in a long time.

But they've won three championships in 5 years. Don't call it a dynasty if you want. That's just semantics anyways. They're very good. How's that.

No chance. He would have been dead to rights.

I thought he'd score when I saw the ball get bobbled, but when they showed Gordon he had no chance to score.

I dunno if he's slow or just didn't get off to a great jump.

And the dignity is gone, goodbye! :lol::lol: 3 titles in 5 years. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Gotta love that team that goes 76-86 in the middle of a DYNTASTY despite having only one injury of note (their closer).

And hear I thought there was no such thing as luck.

The Giants have a great pitching staff and a balanced lineup. They're built for the post season. It's not luck.

Are they dominant? No. But that doesn't exist anymore. The league is more balanced than it's been in a long time.

But they've won three championships in 5 years. Don't call it a dynasty if you want. That's just semantics anyways. They're very good. How's that.

Fine, is outperforming a better adjective? They're the same thing at the end of the day.

Their pitching staff as a whole is most definitely not great. They have one legit ace and then a bunch of mediocre (Jekyll and Hyde Peavy aside) propped up by good defense (if you take out the black hole Michael Morse and his worse-than-elderly-Ibanez defense).

In a league that is supposedly balanced, 6 World Series appearances (and 5 wins) from the Cards or Giants is just awful. That is something, but it isn't balance.

So I reiterate: fuck the Giants.

Gotta love that team that goes 76-86 in the middle of a DYNTASTY despite having only one injury of note (their closer).

562.gif

:up:

They just must be more clutch than everyone else, as they're obviously not good.

Typical headache. Let's latch on to one little thing, put false words into mouths, and ignore things.

They're an above average team in a shitty and inconsistent division that gets hot and/or faces teams when they get cold. Regression. They're not a dynasty. A dynasty is a much better team than the Giants.

Either way, why should anyone care that I dislike the Giants and say "fuck the Giants!"? I'd do the same for the Cardinals, Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, or Braves if they won the World Series as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom