MLB 2014-15: It's Time for the HOT STOVE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They've been committed to rebuilding since before they said they were rebuilding based on the moves they've been making. Hell, they traded Shane Victorino and Hunter Pence away at the deadline in 2012 for prospects. They just traded Jimmy Rollins and are actively shopping Cole Hamels. If Cliff Lee gets healthy and plays well, he's gone, and the right deal will send Chase Utley away too. I'm not sure what more they have to do to commit to rebuilding than they've already done.

The real issue the Phillies have is that they were the worst drafting team in Major League Baseball for essentially a decade, by a larger margin than most people thought even possible.

Extending Ryan Howard Is Not What Killed the Phillies – The Hardball Times

They traded a lot of prospects away to get Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, and Hunter Pence, but they've all almost uniformly sucked too.

I'm just thinking more along the lines of the way things looked earlier this year, when it seemed like they might end up just giving Hamels away. Even then, you didn't seem too confident in their front office. I'm just speculating on whether or not we see a similar shift when they get deep in the season again, this year.

I'm just thinking more along the lines of the way things looked earlier this year, when it seemed like they might end up just giving Hamels away. Even then, you didn't seem too confident in their front office. I'm just speculating on whether or not we see a similar shift when they get deep in the season again, this year.
I don't have a ton of confidence in the front office, but they've definitely made strides since some of their worst moves, and they definitely respect where we're at now more than they did in, say, May of 2012. I haven't really objected to any of their moves since signing Delmon Young; they got a very good return for Fausto Carmona in August.

The real issue, like the Flyers, is the ownership and its reluctance to move into the 21st century/over-the-top loyalty to "their guys." The scouting and development departments need a major overhaul and I don't see it happening anytime soon. Just have to hope we luck our way into a great core like we did with Utley, Rollins, and Hamels.

And it's something quite peculiar
Something shimmering and white
Leads you here despite your destination
Under the Melky Way tonight

I too have major doubts that they are interested. But I like that there are a number of newly interested suitors.

The Cubs keep getting brought up in this discussion. Surprised to still seem them mentioned after the Lester pickup.

Which Chicago team will make a bigger jump next year, gang?

I'm going with

2015: White Sox
2016-beyond: Cubs

#34...alright, good vibes. Let's go.

"I wouldn't be here if I didn't think we could win it all in 2015 -- everything, the division, the league, the World Series."

I didn't get to see it, but I heard it was kinda boring. TBH, he doesn't seem like all that enigmatic a guy, but he seems like a genuinely nice guy and I like him already. But that may just be the leftover high from knowing that the Cubs are finally looking to compete again.

Yeah, he's boring as shit but that obviously doesn't matter on THE DIAMOND. Still looks like a great signing.

Who the fuck is getting Scherzer? I want this resolved and I want him out of my division, please and thank you.

Scherzer deserves about $30 million a year...the issues is going to be the number of years. It would be pretty foolish to give him more than five, but someone might bite in order to land him. Easily the biggest FA signing of this year.

Now that SD has 7 OF and 3 C, I hope all the other GMs just let them sort it out and refuse to trade unless it's insanely lopsided.

I think the assumption they're working on is that if they ever collectively learn how to hit, they'll be unstoppable.

I think the assumption they're working on is that if they ever collectively learn how to hit, they'll be unstoppable.

But they're gonna have to DFA a few guys once the season starts. And that OF defense is gonna be historically bad. By the way, I think the Nats won the three way trade. Trea Turner is legit and Souza seems to have some issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom