MLB 2014-15: It's Time for the HOT STOVE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crap shoot.... Small sample size.... Are we still taking about baseball?

Baseball is hundreds of small samples that randomly are effected by teams being hot, cold, healthy, injured, rested, not-rested, etc. This makes any one particular series a crapshoot. Case in point, the Royals swept the Giants earlier in the year and wound up going 6-4 and outscoring the Giants in 2014.

Of course you don't care, because stats don't matter or some shit. It's like, destiny or something for a team to win the World Series.

Stats matter on paper, I'm a huge fan of stats for prediction purposes. But reality is what it is, regardless.

Baseball is hundreds of small samples that randomly are effected by teams being hot, cold, healthy, injured, rested, not-rested, etc. This makes any one particular series a crapshoot. Case in point, the Royals swept the Giants earlier in the year and wound up going 6-4 and outscoring the Giants in 2014.

Of course you don't care, because stats don't matter or some shit. It's like, destiny or something for a team to win the World Series.
So by your logic the Angels are baseball's champions this year.

So by your logic the Angels are baseball's champions this year.

tumblr_me7r5khbUD1rpqwk9o1_500.gif

Analytics are fantastic for making the case that some players have been underappreciated. They're fantastic for helping to project future success and build rosters. They're not good for arguing what teams deserve championships. We're getting to a point dangerously close to arguing for paper champions.

Analytics are fantastic for making the case that some players have been underappreciated. They're fantastic for helping to project future success and build rosters. They're not good for arguing what teams deserve championships. We're getting to a point dangerously close to arguing for paper champions.

Best team in baseball for three weeks vs. best team in baseball for six months...?

So should they just give the title to the team with the best record and not even hold the finals? I mean, why bother arguing semantics and stats unless that's your end game? The reality of the situation is that whoever wins the world series gets the title. Are you arguing that it shouldn't be that way?

So should they just give the title to the team with the best record and not even hold the finals? I mean, why bother arguing semantics and stats unless that's your end game? The reality of the situation is that whoever wins the world series gets the title. Are you arguing that it shouldn't be that way?

That could be done, as it's done in the European soccer leagues (minus some issues about unbalanced schedules etc). And it wouldn't necessarily be wrong.

Of course, if that's the way we decided our championship, teams would play the regular season differently and the results wouldn't necessarily be the same.

That could be done, as it's done in the European soccer leagues (minus some issues about unbalanced schedules etc). And it wouldn't necessarily be wrong.

Of course, if that's the way we decided our championship, teams would play the regular season differently and the results wouldn't necessarily be the same.

And even in (and probably especially in) soccer, the best team in any one given season doesn't always win. Injuries at the wrong time, a few flukie performances by lower table teams and a bad game that distorts the goal differential and all of a sudden the team that's clearly the best team finishes in second or third.

Nobody is arguing against luck being a huge part in winning championships. But 3 in 5 years is not luck.

Statistically you would have to say that the two non championship seasons are the aberration, not the other way around.

I just don't see winning three out of five, four out of seven and then another four out of seven games as luck.

Mariners fans so badly want the Seattle Mariners: Back to the Future movement to become a reality, they're taking matters into their own hands and knives! Happy Halloween!

B1TJg_1IYAAq9Xe.jpg

I wouldn't even argue that the 2007 and 2011 New York FOOTBALL Giants teams were all luck, despite those teams being mediocre for most of those seasons and the ones surrounding them. They just played better than everyone else when it counted.

I wouldn't even argue that the 2007 and 2011 New York FOOTBALL Giants teams were all luck, despite those teams being mediocre for most of those seasons and the ones surrounding them. They just played better than everyone else when it counted.

At least you could be a little more justified in saying the NFL playoff is a crapshoot, though.

Definitely not all luck, some Stick'um was involved too...

David-Tyree-Catch-Super-Bowl.jpg

#notbitteraboutflying3000milestoseethat

No one in this thread is allowed to talk about uniforms.
If I was a Phillies fan I wouldn't want to talk about uniforms either, they are brutal, a perfect example on how buttons have no place on a baseball jersey. What's that say, 'Philllies'? Yuck.

2505353775_2fa1e2b9f2_o.jpg

I am glad the Rays will accuse the Cubs of tampering concerning Joe Maddon. The Rays should and probably will receive some sort of compensation. When Lupa Nella left the Mariners to manage the Devil Rays, the Mariners received Randy Winn in return.

At least mildly warm stove news for me:

Cubs, Tsuyoshi Wada Agree On 2015 Contract

In his first major-league action, Wada made 13 starts for the Cubs and posted a 3.25 ERA, 3.75 FIP and 1.24 WHIP, walking 19 and striking out 57 in 69⅓ innings. His best start was against his old organization, the Orioles, August 24, where he threw six no-hit innings before allowing a leadoff homer to Steve Pearce in the seventh.

Wada turns 34 in February. He should be back to full strength after TJS, and as a lefthander, has an advantage, since rotations can always use more lefthanders. He's certainly a perfectly good fifth-starter option and at the money figures tweeted by Carrie, he's not expensive.

I like Wada, and while I realize he's not the answer, I'm in full agreement about his potential as a 5-spot guy, which would be a great "basement" for the rotation, in my book. Better than E-Jax, at any rate.

I'm getting way too optimistic about next season. Just gotta keep looking at those drought stats to temper expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom