MLB 2013 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you've never been in a moment in your life where you, or someone you know, has shrunk in the moment? Has gotten in front of a crowd of people to give a speech on a subject they know well and ended up as a blubbering mess? Nothing like this has ever happened to you?

Not someone who does it 160 times a year, no. Can't think of a single one. Sorry to burst your bubble.

And he had 326 PA in the post season, not 175, perhaps you were looking strictly at his ALDS 173 PA. It still won't fit the formula in your sabremetrics library, but then again no player in MLB has the requisite PA in their post season history to accurately judge their batting average according to those numbers, so there are no players with good or poor batting averages in post season history??

Either way, doesn't meet many of the criteria. And no, you're interpreting the sample sizes incorrectly. Guys have done what they've done. It's just not accurately predictive of how a player has or will perform under a certain set of conditions. Thus every last damned playoff statistic is a small sample and not predictive or indicative of a player's true talent. There will be similarities, but there will be deviation. Why was Ortiz lousy against the Tigers? Where was his mental toughness then? It was a small sample. He is a good hitter. His career sample dictates he wouldn't deviate from his career averages by much. Any post season data is sketchy at best and subjected to deviation because the sample sizes are so tiny.

A-Rod's clutch performance: he thought he could get away with blatantly cheating in the 2004 ALCS by slapping a ball out of Bronson Arroyo's hands.

:lol:

Yea bro. They're all mindless, soulless robots. Nobody is ever effected by their emotions or pressure of the moment. It has never happened. You win.

You asked me a simple question. I gave you a simple, accurate, and poignant response. Sorry if you were looking for something with more of a narrative.

Gee I don't know, maybe he wasn't an unrestricted free agent and was still under team control for a few more seasons.

Oh okay, so it's only SMART GMs who don't hand out massive contracts after a big post season? Thanks for making my point for me. Anyway, that's why I said extension. Not free agent contract.

Oh okay, so it's only SMART GMs who don't hand out massive contracts after a big post season? Thanks for making my point for me. Anyway, that's why I said extension. Not free agent contract.

And why I also mentioned team control. Cause like I knows me iz not as smart as youze but I'ze doo no sumthin sumtimes.

And why I also mentioned team control. Cause like I knows me iz not as smart as youze but I'ze doo no sumthin sumtimes.

You're also not as smart as the GMs who lock up great talent young. But it's okay. Neither am I. :hug:

Thank you for proving my point.

What point is that? That I pitched very closely in result to how I always did at any point in the year no matter the situation? Kinda neither choke or clutch but just the same old same old? How is that proving your point. When have you been in the mind of others?

What point is that? That I pitched very closely in result to how I always did at any point in the year no matter the situation? Kinda neither choke or clutch but just the same old same old? How is that proving your point. When have you been in the mind of others?

Yes, thank you for proving my point.

Because I have. I've choked.

85% free throw shooter over my entire college career. Didn't fo 0-2 from the line for two straight years. Pretty decent sample size for you there.

Until the last seconds of a 2 point playoff game that we ultimately lost on a three at the buzzer.

And trust me, I felt it. I thought it as I stepped to the line. It was different. Instead of tuning everything out like normal, I heard every damn thing people were yelling at me. I felt the pressure. And I missed.

So there you go. Point proven. Some people, you, feel no pressure when they step on the field. Doesn't mean they're always effective. Doesn't mean they don't make mistakes. Just means that they are unphased by the moment, and thus more likely to continue the same level of play that they are always capable of performing at in any circumstance.

And some, me, are not. Some feel the heat in high pressure situations.

And sure, we're talking about high school and D3 basketball. But if you don't think that it applies at every level of sport, and every level of life for that matter, you're crazy.

Sometimes those smaaahht GMs have to deal with agents who target free agency at all costs and won't allow their great young talent to get locked up.

And that would make sense if arbitration did not exist.

85% free throw shooter over my entire college career. Didn't fo 0-2 from the line for two straight years. Pretty decent sample size for you there.

Until the last seconds of a 2 point playoff game that we ultimately lost on a three at the buzzer.

And trust me, I felt it. I thought it as I stepped to the line. It was different. Instead of tuning everything out like normal, I heard every damn thing people were yelling at me. I felt the pressure. And I missed.

So there you go. Point proven. Some people, you, feel no pressure when they step on the field. Doesn't mean they're always effective. Doesn't mean they don't make mistakes. Just means that they are unphased by the moment, and thus more likely to continue the same level of play that they are always capable of performing at in any circumstance.

And sure, we're talking about high school and D3 basketball. But if you don't think that it applies at every level of sport, and every level of life for that matter, you're crazy.

I probably just don't get it because it doesn't effect me. Anyway, 100 points of OPS over a half a year worth of plate appearances isn't enough statistically to base anything off of. Based off of tangibles, A-Rod's .820 OPS is not choke. It is a half a season of slight underperformance, broken into many tiny pieces and spread out over many years. Based on the numbers alone.

Wow, brutal story.

Right now I'm picturing Gordon Bombay coaching the Mighty Ducks and telling the story about blowing the state championship by clanking a penalty shot off the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom