MLB 2013-14: End of the World Series, Offseason, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know, but there's gotta be a limit for them, doesn't there? There's only so much of the luxury tax they're going to be willing to pay. That's all I'm saying.

Gotcha. They are making a bet that ARod will get suspended, and are probably fine paying the tax if the arbitrator reverts the penalty...

The Phillies, meanwhile, have a shitload of money to spend and nothing to do with it because they have no minor league system (or major league system, at this point).

I hate this part of the offseason. Where the smart GMs are wheelin' and dealin'. And all your team has done is sign a poor defending bench player who is not a good hitter to an overmarket contract.

Rumors of 8 yrs 180M for Shin Soo Choo...my lord the world has truly gone mad.

Don't you know? He leads the league in getting on base... by getting hit by pitch... all time talent there. Boras, of course, neglects .612 OPS vs LHP and the declining defense (along with the fact that he'd be 40 [!!!] when the deal ends).

Gotcha. They are making a bet that ARod will get suspended, and are probably fine paying the tax if the arbitrator reverts the penalty...

If A-Rod does get suspended, I don't see it being close to 211 games. Plus, I don't think the Yankees are "betting" that he'll get suspended. Cashman has already said he's their best option at third base. It's more like they're hoping that he returns in a timely fashion. Preferably when the season starts. He still puts asses in seats and provides home run power.

I hate this part of the offseason. Where the smart GMs are wheelin' and dealin'. And all your team has done is sign a poor defending bench player who is not a good hitter to an overmarket contract.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Seattle get desperate soon.

I think Seattle has been desperate for awhile. The good news is they have less than $50 million in 2014 payroll obligations and semi-recently had a payroll around $120 million. While it's crazy to think of a team adding $70 million in 2014 payroll this offseason, they could handle it with ease if they wanted to.

Big%20Bat.jpg

The red sox fan proclaimed in 2004 the curse was reversed . Well, not exactly. But sorta. It does seem like after 2000 a little of the aura of each team rubbed off on the other. The Yankees, after 2000 have had many bitter, unacceptable , and shocking chokes in the post season. Early playoff exits. The 04 collapse. Losing to the likes of Kenny rogers and paul byrd . Not hitting. No clutch plays. The tigers beat them 3 times in 7 seasons in the playoffs. The last one was a 4 game sweep where the Yankees never had the lead. Missed the playoffs in 08 , and due to unreal unlucky injurys at a rapid rate, in 2013 as well . Epic victory in 03 alcs lead to a loss to the marlins!!??. 01 mo on the mound and it gets away from them. Isn't this shit supposed to happen to the red sox? However, in 09 the team brought the best team money could buy, and along with the legends from 96-00 run , just dominated and humiliated their rivals and everyone else and won the ws.
The red sox on the other hand, have done what they could not do from 1919-2003 and won the ws. Handing the Yankees a historic blow in 2004. 3 titles in 10 years. But they also have proved they can be just as dumb and gutless and "cursed" after 03 as they were during the 86 year drought. 2005 lost the division race to Yankees in their own park. 2006 boston massacre 2 ended their season. 2009 beat the Yankees the first 9 or so games and then pretty much lost the second 9 and any chance of the division. 2011 the biggest collapse in the history of baseball and miss the post season. The chicken and beer in the clubhouse disaster. 2012 bobby v and the 93 loss season. The players like damon, ellesbury etc switching sides.
The Yankees red sox didn't have a rivalry during those 86 years because the red sox never ever fucking won. So I don't get the "best rivals in sports". That would mean both teams beat the other. The last 10 years they actually are rivals because they inflict damage on each other. They Yankees still can win the ws but they also choke and do nothing in the playoffs. The red sox now can win the ws but still give you moments of complete failure and disappointment just like your grandpa's red sox could.

If the Tigs sign Choo to a long term deal, I'm going to blow a gasket. How can anyone be offering him that kind of money when he's essentially a platoon player? .215 w/ 9 (nine!) extra base hits against lefties last season?

He'd be a nice fit if the contract isn't outrageous, especially with Hunter's deal coming off the books after this season. The big bucks guy in the platoon should be the lefty since he has the platoon advantage. Just need to make sure it's something that's reasonable. Unfortunately, he's a Boras guy, so that doesn't seem all that likely.

He's a 4-win player now. At age 31. $22.5 million for 4 wins is pretty reasonable. But that money for that many years ... yeah, no thanks.

If the Tigs sign Choo to a long term deal, I'm going to blow a gasket. How can anyone be offering him that kind of money when he's essentially a platoon player? .215 w/ 9 (nine!) extra base hits against lefties last season?

But he's Mike Trout against righties and still gets on base against lefties.

He's a 4-win player now. At age 31. $22.5 million for 4 wins is pretty reasonable. But that money for that many years ... yeah, no thanks.

Not saying it'd be worth it, but by the time the hypothetical contract would end, the going rate per win will be 8-10 million with standard inflation and television contract deals.

Really? Last I'd read it was around 6 based on projected wins and signings from this offseason. Maybe Ellsbury and Choo's reported asking price bumped it up.

If it was 24 million a season, that'd only raise the 2014 Mariners payroll to ~$70 million. It might also tempt other free agents to finally consider Seattle where they might not have otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom