MLB 2013-14: End of the World Series, Offseason, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fister is so good. I thought they were going to get Rendon at least. Love the trade for the Nationals.

I wonder if they try to get Cano with the money they saved there and with Fielder. Or do they extend Scherzer?

Wow. Some interesting trades going down. Being that Detroit is my second favorite team, that Fister deal is a kick in the balls.

I cannot pretend to be thrilled. Too many years. Too injury plagued of a cat. And since speed is a big part of his game, that makes the length of this deal even scarier to me. I mean, a healthy Ellsbury at the top of the lineup is nice and I'll be excited next season but I just don't see giving him 7 years. He's 30.

But, as usual, what in the fuck do I know?

I cannot pretend to be thrilled. Too many years. Too injury plagued of a cat. And since speed is a big part of his game, that makes the length of this deal even scarier to me. I mean, a healthy Ellsbury at the top of the lineup is nice and I'll be excited next season but I just don't see giving him 7 years. He's 30.

I think the ideal situation for you guys is that he's completely healthy for the first five years and on the DL for the last two.

I gotta be honest with you here, man. This stove? It's hot as fuck.

The thing about the stove is you might think it's cool to the touch, but, brother, that's right when it's gonna get hot.

I'm very high on Ellsbury, he's one of my favorite players in the game, so I personally don't mind the deal for the Yankees. I understand the people who aren't happy with the length of the deal, though. He's just such a dynamic player. And so handsome.

Meanwhile, I'm pissed about Nathan signing with the Tigers. Good move for them. And I keep seeing all of these big league catchers signing with other teams when we're stuck with two AAAA guys behind the plate. Easily our biggest position of need right now is catcher. Thought letting AJ go would be ok. Boy was I wrong.

$22 Mil a year for a singles hitter until he's 37...just way too much money. Sorry to see him go, but no way I'd want him at that price.

So what are the Yanks spending thus far in 2014?
Its going to be what $33.5M for Arod when his suspension thing spends the entire season in federal court and he gets the $6M bonus for catching Willie Mays, $24.4M for Chunky Chunky, $22.5M for Tex Message, $21.8M for Jacob Y, $17M for McCann, 8M for Jeets...thats $126M for those 6 players.
They'll likely end up giving the Canoe at least $25M, they currently have what 2 proven starters(one of which makes Prince Fielder look positively svelte) and no proven closer.
At least the Angels and Cubs are paying for the vast majority of Wells (dude's gonna make $21M to sit on the bench what a country) and Soriano. Itchy is only $6.5M So they have that going for them.
I assume they are hoping Arod gets suspended for the full season (then they could resign Youk for $12M to play 3rd :wink:), but it seems very likely that will not happen, at least not this year. Good luck to them.

The Tigers's stove has me terrified. I like trading Prince, don't like trading Fister and love the signing of Nathan, but all of that is secondary to what the real story is - Mike Ilitch is done spending.

I think you'll see the Tigers payroll regress to somewhere just north of the top 1/3 mark in baseball over the next few years. That doesn't sound so bad as I type it except that players aren't going to choose Detroit without being over paid.

I thoroughly enjoyed this stretch while it lasted.

I couldn't care less for the Yankees 189 plan. Richer owners getting richer don't make me feel better. They are betting on Arod's suspension, and if he doesn't get suspended they'll be fine blowing past 189.. They had no way to get competitive otherwise.

Now, I don't like the contract, but two things that are very overstated in baseball are the supposed fast declines of speed and catching, so I'm fine with the signings. Interesting to see what happens to Cano.

I couldn't care less for the Yankees 189 plan. Richer owners getting richer don't make me feel better.
The reason you should care about 189 is because the owners are spending the money and will do so with much greater reluctance at that number. Distribution of resources matters a great deal.

The reason you should care about 189 is because the owners are spending the money and will do so with much greater reluctance at that number. Distribution of resources matters a great deal.

Well, but if they are blowing past that number it shows exactly the opposite of what you're saying - willingness to spend. I care about opportunity costs, and therefore about bad contracts, but I don't care that the richest franchise in baseball decides it's better off paying the luxury tax.

Back
Top Bottom