MLB 2010 Part 4 - October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ I'm pretty sure SR is talking about Swisher diving for a fly ball in an attempt to make a great catch, not a HBP situation. But I could be wrong, happens left and right. Or I could simply be misunderstanding what "did he just Jeter" refers to, which, again, would take us right back to how often I'm wrong.

Could be my misunderstanding. I thought it was Swisher who took a questionable ball in the leg.

Anyway, I'm liking the ESPN Radio guys. Very fair, very knowledgeable.

Yeah, TV would be nice, but I got other shit to get done, too. :down:

I don't have a lot of shit to get done on the weekend, thankfully. You likely have...what do you call it? Oh, yes, a life! You have a life. :)

I like Jon Miller but absolutely despise Joe Morgan. I wish the "fire Joe Morgan" blog was still active. :(

Well, he's been calling Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN since 1990, so there's been plenty of time for me and many others to get sick of him. Funny thing is, when Sunday Night Baseball first started, I liked him. But he.....devolved, to say the least.

Have you not listened to him on Sunday Night Baseball for years and years? He's atrocious.

No, Sunday night is usually catching up on the Simpsons and Adult Swim (or maybe football).

It's rare that I get to watch baseball on TV, so I'm spoiled with John Gordon and Dan Gladden.

Great, now I'll be looking for faults in Joe Morgan. Jon Miller is great though. :D

Baseball is the only sport I like on the radio.

If he had approached his skepticism with some balance and intelligence....and a semi-open mind I could have respected it because you cannot boil a sport down to math. But to blatantly dismiss sabermetrics and such, on air, in incredibly stubborn fashion was indeed embarrassing. I don't think anyone with any track record of success would dismiss scouting and the like, but they certainly wouldn't dismiss more specific, accurate and telling data either.

If he had approached his skepticism with some balance and intelligence....and a semi-open mind I could have respected it because you cannot boil a sport down to math. But to blatantly dismiss sabermetrics and such, on air, in incredibly stubborn fashion was indeed embarrassing. I don't think anyone with any track record of success would dismiss scouting and the like, but they certainly wouldn't dismiss more specific, accurate and telling data either.
He never even fucking read the book. He said he didn't want to read a book about a computer, and when someone told him it wasn't about a computer, he said, "I'm not reading the book, I wouldn't know."

Baseball on the radio is phenomenal. Especially as a Phils fan, because our TV announcers are shit and our radio announcers are phenomenal.

Baseball on the radio is phenomenal. Especially as a Phils fan, because our TV announcers are shit and our radio announcers are phenomenal.

Blyleven is fucking hilarious on Twins TV with some of his comments, nice to have a pitcher's perspective (Dick Bremer is very good, too), but John and Dan on the radio are really solid.
These guys all know the game, they know each other, they know the Twins--great stuff--plus, both Blyleven and Gladden often make drinking comments or a little comment on a good-looking female fan--not PC, but not offensive. :up::up::up:

"Well, Whitey, we have a gift from our sponsor, Donald's Bakery, tonight, they've sent us some cookies."
"I don't think cookies go too well with gin and tonic, Harry."

Sadly, listening to the Yankees on their home radio is, possibly, the worst listening experience one can have short of attending a Nickelback concert. It's just.....so fucking.....heinous. Sterling/Waldman. Just so bad. So very bad. So god awful bad.

When you watch those highlights on MLB.com, they'll often have the TV and radio calls for big plays. During the playoffs, this means the national TV broadcast and then the two teams' radio broadcasters.

I'd watch highlights from last year's World Series, and each time it would be: mundane Joe Buck call, well done Scott Franzke call, and awful John Sterling call.

"That one is high, that one is far" is the most annoying home run call this side of Chicago.

It's "It is high, it is far, it is....gone!" but no matter how you slice it, it's annoying as fuck. But not quite as bad as "The Yankees win! THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Yankees WIN!" Unreal.

Embarrassing to have a historic, successful franchise trot out such a pathetic duo.

"Well, Whitey, we have a gift from our sponsor, Donald's Bakery, tonight, they've sent us some cookies."
"I don't think cookies go too well with gin and tonic, Harry."

Yes! :lol:

Gladden: "I was out on the links earlier today. Knocking the ball around a little with XXXXX."
Gordon: "And tossing back a few."
Gladden: "Yeah, tossing back a few, I said I was out on the links."

I know that all of you hate McCarver, and with good reason, but I actually still like him a little....and the last two nights, while not perfect, he has reminded me why he used to be so good/lauded.

He is still willing to first guess, and analyze things as he sees them before events unfold, rather than watching a replay and rehashing for us what everyone just saw. He foreshadowed Ross' 2nd HR last night and he did a nice job just now of explaining that Ryan Howard was reminding himself to try to go to the opposite field just before he did that very thing.....and while neither of these things are amazingly insightful, I still find them to be informative.

In the last two days, I've seen 17 different text messages that simply said "Fucking Cody Ross."

Jimmy Rollins, welcome to the ballclub.

Embarrassing to have a historic, successful franchise trot out such a pathetic duo.

It does astound me that the Yankee franchise with its history and resources has that duo on the radio. Good baseball radio announcers are so much better than most TV announcers because they can describe the game quickly in a way to enable the listener to visualize whats happening whereas many TV annoucers get lazy because the viewer sees the play so they don't use nearly the detail...then there's Sterling and Waldman...of all the dramatic things I've ever seen, its a Swishalicious Grandyman.

It's "It is high, it is far, it is....gone!" but no matter how you slice it, it's annoying as fuck. But not quite as bad as "The Yankees win! THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Yankees WIN!" Unreal.

i would willingly have john sterling broadcast every single game in every single sport that i watch or listen to for the rest of my life if it meant that i'd never have to hear or see from michael kay ever again.

The Yankees should package AJ Burnett, John Sterling and Michael Kay in a trade with the Mets in exchange for their broadcasting team. Hell, I would even take Luis Castillo as a throw in.

By the way, I hope tonight won't be as frustrating as Game 1 of the World Series last year.

Back
Top Bottom