MLB 2009 Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So when's the next Sox/Yanks series?

I don't know but the first Sox/Sox series of the year is in two weeks. That should be fun. And Peavy might be ready by then. Although most likely his first start with us will come sometime in the Aug. 28th to 30th series in New York against the Yankees. Exciting times. Spectacular times, even.

Originally Posted by Speedracer
Uh, you guys realize that at worst we're tied for the WC lead after tonight, right?

Originally Posted by No spoken words
I was going to post something similar, Speedracer, but the last thing I want to do is start consoling you Sox fans.

But, yeah, you're tied for the WC at worst and who the fuck knows what can happen between now and the end of September.

My comment was more tongue-in-cheek in response to Hewson's (at least the second part), and I realize that things are far from over, but he does have a point. This is turning out to be eerily like 2006, and while they are still in a decent position, I wouldn't be surprised at this point if they fall away and miss the playoffs altogether.

My comment was more tongue-in-cheek in response to Hewson's (at least the second part), and I realize that things are far from over, but he does have a point. This is turning out to be eerily like 2006, and while they are still in a decent position, I wouldn't be surprised at this point if they fall away and miss the playoffs altogether.

Exactly... what I've seen recently of this Red Sox team gives me the feeling that they are falling by the wayside...I made the 2006 comment on Friday to my brother-in-law before they went scoreless for the weekend, they just seem to have lost their way. Yes they are tied for the WC currently, but they are not playing well (understatement) while the teams they are battling are clearly playing better ball currently.

And for all that, they're still tied for the WC. They will snap out of it offensively, and you'll have Wakefield back soon which will help. I'll be shocked if you're not in the playoffs, be it as division champs or the wildcard team.

Derek Holland, the Dutch Oven himself, shutting down the (previously) highest scoring team in baseball in their own yard.

I love this team. Almost at a GAF-to-Chisox level.

You can't spin that, pure dump. Yet they still have Halladay.

ETA - In fact, they received no compensation at all from the Sox, so, it literally was a salary dump.

Cat has a .317 OBP. Yikes.

It's fun to be a fan of a team with a GM like Kenny Williams. A few weeks back, Kenny came out and said "There is a 99.9% chance that we don't make any moves this year."

Now it's August 10th and we've acquired Peavy and Rios, both of them for next to nothing. Beautiful. Rios is having a down year, but I've been impressed with the guy since he first came up. Talented kid, for sure.

It does make me wonder what Quentin, Podsednik and Dye are thinking right now. We seem to have too many outfielders. In one of the most unlikely turns I can remember, Podsednik has been the MVP of the team of this year. Dye obviously deserves to play everyday. And CQ is just starting to hit the ball hard again. I'm going to look at this 4 should-be-playing-everyday outfielder situation as a good thing. Although I think it looks like Scotty Pods is the odd man out.

I'll say this again, Gaffer, and it's not because of the Rios acquisition....

I really like The Swish. He works the count every at-bat, will give himself up to get a runner over or in....has some pop......his batting avg is not great but his obp is pretty strong....and he seems like a great clubhouse guy.

And, let's all remember NSW lamenting the Yankees not getting one more bullpen arm of quality before the deadline. Yup, they're playing great baseball right now, and Hughes looks good, but mark my words, this is not a playoff bullpen. And I don't want to hear about Joba.

Also, early in the season Swisher was the best pitcher on the Yankees staff.

Neftali!

Glad the Rangers have the day off so they can recuperate from Cool Whip's drunken, dessert topping fueled shenanigans.

That's his nickname, by the way. Cool Whip. We nicknamed the entire roster watching the series this weekend. Don't judge.

2nm0mqp.jpg
Texas_Rangers_Josh_Hamilton_Drunk.jpg

He can't look.

Peef, you'll be happy to know we landed on Champion of the Sun for Darren O'Day.

And five homers so far tonight at Yankee Stadium. They're in the 5th. Can we say it's worse than Rangers Ballpark now?

The sidearm guy the Mets cut for the always dangerous Nelson Figueroa? Didn't know he was lighting up the Junior Circuit so much. Congratulations and thanks. Although Minaya would have fucked it up with or without your help.

It's so cute when NL fans call the American League the Junior Circuit in attempts to be derogatory.

The more I think about this Rios shit, the more I like it.

Being able to procure premium, 5 tool(ish) talent without trading anyone or giving up draft picks is worth the risk, I think. We immediately have more team speed. And there's always the possibility that a location change will light a fire under him for this pennant race. We will see. Anyway, that being said, it would be nice to win a fucking baseball game tonight.

So I heard something about Youk going bonkers tonight? Guess I'll just have to wait for the highlights.

So I heard something about Youk going bonkers tonight? Guess I'll just have to wait for the highlights.

Junichi Tazawa (second appearance since being promoted from AA) hits a Tigers batter while in the middle of a 1st inning jam. Tigers score 3 runs, then Porcello throws a FB straight at Youkilis's upper back leading off the 2nd inning. Youkilis goes nuts, charges the mound, throws his helmet in Porcello's general vicinity and attempts to bowl Porcello over. Porcello sort of grabs Youkilis, does a side twist and sort of manages to toss him aside as they go down, benches empty, Porcello and Youkilis get tossed.

Mike Lowell replaces Youk at 3B and clobbers 2 HRs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom