MLB 2009 Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Loving these Gaf Sox right now.

Me too. Sorry we couldn't have helped you out more this week.

And now I feel good heading into this Yanks series. Which, as I said before the matchup with the Carmines, should be a fun one. A possible Peavy sighting on Saturday? Possible. Anything's possible.

De-lurking to ask how you White Sox Fans are able to listen to these announcers for roughly 160 games without wanting to shoot someone. "Shinguard meet the shin...and the guard win." Really???

A trio of rookies giving up 4 homers to KC is almost as embarrassing as getting swept by the Nationals.

De-lurking to ask how you White Sox Fans are able to listen to these announcers for roughly 160 games without wanting to shoot someone. "Shinguard meet the shin...and the guard win." Really???

Schmeg, although I am wholly unable to answer this question, I thank you for it and I hope that you de-lurk more often.

Yeah, my agent and I think Theo will make us a big offer. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up in Boston.

Is there a reason the Rays are tossing this guy out? They do realize they're 3.5 back of the wild card, right? I mean, I know he hasn't played as well this year, but he's getting back to form.

She gone!

I hope to god that you know I'm kidding. GAF is a diehard Sox fan and as such I pretend like he's Hawk's kid.

I gou; I just don't de-lurk enough to show my own sarcastic side.

She's a little slow sometimes. :sexywink:

This is entirely true.

Schmeg, although I am wholly unable to answer this question, I thank you for it and I hope that you de-lurk more often.

You're welcome, and say "Put one on the board!" to your dad for me.

I'm trying to think of a previous deal similar to the Kazmir trade. A team in contention for a playoff spot, in late August, deals a 25 year old pitcher with a pretty good track record, who is also one of the faces of the franchise, to another playoff contender, albeit one not in their division. Can't really think of any...usually it's a team that sucks, with a free-agent to be, dealing that dude to a contender for a few minor leaguers. This seems, if not unprecedented, at least unique. I'll refrain from really passing judgement as I know fuck-all about what the Rays received from the Angels and it's possible that the Rays have more young pitching in the pipeline. We'll see.

Between bouts of breaking shit, I didn't even get to mention how badly poor, recently-called-back-up Chris Davis got hosed with a terrible called third strike to end the game last night.

I, uh, I wasn't happy. Down one run, men on first and second. Full count. Called third strike six inches off the black.

Fuck.

And the Kazmir thing? What the fuck, Rays? Really?

I'll refrain from really passing judgement as I know fuck-all about what the Rays received from the Angels and it's possible that the Rays have more young pitching in the pipeline. We'll see.

The two minor leaguers, Alex Torres (a lefty starting pitcher) and Matt Sweeney (3B/1B) are well-regarded prospects, with Torres said to have the most upside. According the Angels' broadcast team, when the Angels are discussing a trade, the first prospect the other team always asks for is Torres.

Baseball America has Torres number 12 on their prospect Hot Sheet:

No. 12 ALEX TORRES, LHP ANGELS
Alex Torres
Team: Double-A Arkansas (Texas)
Why He's Here: 1-0, 0.00, 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 8 SO, 3 BB, 1 HBP
The Scoop: A native of Venezuela, Torres spent nearly four full years playing in short-season ball. He entered the season with just 10 starts in the California League, but after 19 more this year he earned a promotion to Double-A, where he's teamed with Trevor Reckling to give the Travelers two top-flight lefties. Torres checks in at 5-foot-10 and his control needs refinement (he's walked nearly five batters per nine innings this season), but he still stands as the high Class A Cal League's ERA champion at 2.74. The only minor league lefties to strike out more than Torres' 149 are Matt Moore (Rays), Anthony Capra (A's), Christian Friedrich (Rockies) and Ben Hornbeck (A's).

The key to this deal might be the PTBNL. Maddon's quote from yesterday:

"We're very excited about the player that we can't name yet, but also about the other two," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "The lefty has a great arm, and Sweeney is one of the best hitters in the minors."

From this quote, many are speculating that the PTBNL is the center-piece of the deal. Keith Law says that the PTBNL in this trade is definitely more than a throw-in.

If the PTBNL ends up being Brandon Wood, I'm gonna shit. I mean, that would feel like a punch to the gut. I'd hate to see Sean Rodriguez go, too.

To me, this is a risky trade for the Angels, but I'm glad they've pulled the trigger and taken the risk. Trevor Bell and Sean O'Sullivan may be quality pitchers in a couple of years, but they were called up out of desperation and they got hammered.

estabrookisanidoit.png

You be the judge.

estabrookisanidoit.png

You be the judge.

Looks as if the ump was paid by the pitch tracker sponsor...or something.

I never trust those things "pitch tracker" things. The one that TBS uses during the playoffs is so fucking off.

And, Nathan more than not will "get" the call if it is truly close. That and Mauer does a pretty good job convincing umps that where his glove ends up is where the pitch ended up. Hell, someone has to help the pathetic Twins rotation.

We'll see what Pavano can do tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom