MLB 2006 - Spring has officially begun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
boston shouldn't do anything with manny unless the two horses at the top of the rotation get hurt... 'cause if those two stay healthy the red sox have to be the favorites to win the american league...

now if they go down, their pitching falls apart and they could miss the playoffs all together... at which point trading manny for pitching would be a good idea. but until then, i wouldn't do anything.

unless my name was steve phillips.

You can never have too much pitching, but given the quality of arms that the Sox have in their farm system, trading Manny for more pitching prospects would make no sense. It would leave a gaping hole in the lineup that any pitching staff would be hard pressed to offset. I'll take Beckett, Papelbon, Lester, Hansen, and Delcarmen with Manny in my lineup thank you very much.

Any young pitcher who is directly related to Jeff Weaver would raise some red flags for me as well. :wink:

Last edited:
pub crawler said:
Angels have pitching coming out of their ass. Bosox would do well to offer Manny straight up for Juan Rivera and Jered Weaver. Weaver has looked fantastic this spring -- he's in triple A -- and scioscia said he'd have no problem pitching him in a major league game. Sox would pay at least 90% of Manny's remaining salary in my scenario.

Getting frustrated in your team's offense so soon, eh?

:lol:

Hewson said:
Thanks for the laugh.

You have noticed the Bosox' 5-1 start and outstanding pitching right?

Schilling and Wakefield are pushing 40. I'd say you could use some pitching depth. :wink:

Oh, and, most all the sports sites seem to have no problem getting the Angels' name right -- but, wait, you're a Red Sox fan. That explains it. :ohmy:

randhail said:
You can never have too much pitching, but given the quality of arms that the Sox have in their farm system, trading Manny more pitching prospects would make no sense.

Actually, it would make sense. Jered Weaver is pretty much major-league ready right now. He was a first round draft pick.

pub crawler said:

Actually, it would make sense. Jered Weaver is pretty much major-league ready right now. He was a first round draft pick.

Brien Taylor and Todd Van Poppel were first round picks as well. I wouldn't put too much stock in where a guy was drafted.

So the Sox trade Manny for an unproven pitcher and I'm even willing to say that he succeeds, but it cripples the line-up. It would be like the Angels' line up right now. How would that help the Sox?

There a lot of people out there that were going to retire with the money from their cards.

I'd be lying if I said that I would've killed to get my hands on an '89 Upper Deck Griffey rookie card - that was our generation's holy grail.

trading manny and not getting any hitting in return would ruin the Sawx. Who in their right mind you put any pitch remotley in the strike zone to David Ortiz. It would be like the Giants line up.

randhail said:

Brien Taylor and Todd Van Poppel were first round picks as well. I wouldn't put too much stock in where a guy was drafted.

So the Sox trade Manny for an unproven pitcher and I'm even willing to say that he succeeds, but it cripples the line-up. It would be like the Angels' line up right now. How would that help the Sox?
Pubbie's just frustrated that The Eastern Japan Angies of Southern Alaska can't hit.
He knows his GM blew it this offseason, and he's gonna have to battle the Rangers to stay out of the NL West cellar, he's grasping at straws that the Sox would dump Manny for 2 mediocre pitching prospects and pay his salary. Fantasy baseball is on yahoo my friend. :wink:

Last edited:
[q]Jered Weaver made a brilliant debut at the Triple-A level on Saturday. Pitching in a ballpark (Tucson) that is the minor league equivalent of Colorado's Coors Field and against a lineup featuring two of the top prospects in baseball (Stephen Drew and Carlos Quentin), Weaver allowed only two hits, no walks, and one run while striking out eight batters over seven innings.

Here are Jered's last four outings, including his three spring training starts:

IP H R ER BB SO
04/08/06 vs. Tuc 7 2 1 1 0 8 W
03/30/06 vs. SFG 5 2 0 0 1 4 W
03/17/06 vs. Oak 5 2 0 0 0 5 -
03/12/06 vs. CWS 4 2 0 0 2 2 -
Totals 21 8 1 1 3 19 2-0

Peter Gammons saw Weaver in person earlier this spring and said his "stuff is far more powerful than that of his brother." Buster Olney called Weaver "terrific" and said that he keeps hearing that he "looks great."[/q]

I'm not dying to see the Angels trade Weaver, believe me.

During yesterday's Sock/Royal game, Ken "Hawk" Harrelson put it out there that he though we were seeing a "juiced" ball.

On the way home from work today Steve Stone was commenting on the same issue citing the Rockies performance at PetCo park.

Any thoughts on this?

juiced ball, juiced players, juiced juice... who knows.

it's why i laugh at the whole steroid thing being so unfair to the fair history of baseball...
--the mound has been raised and lowered to help or hurt the pitcher
--the strike zone has been widened and shrunk
--the stadiums have been huge, then small, then big again, and now are small once more
--stadiums in atlanta (where hank aaron played), arizona and esp. colorado give hitters an unfair advantage due to altitude
--babe ruth never faced a black pitcher
--the early era of baseball was considered to be the "dead ball" era, because so little homeruns were hit... around the time that ruth came around, all of a sudden the ball became more "live"
--spitballs used to be legal
--the year ruth hit 60, there was a rule in place that said that if a ball cleared the fence in fair territory but landed in foul territory, it was a foul ball... ruth lost 3 or 4 homeruns that season due to that rule.

etc. etc. etc.

there has never been a "level" playing field in baseball. they've been changing the rules to fit the era since the game first began.

Juiced balls and 'roids are two completely separate issues.

It should be easy to tell if this year's ball has been wound tighter than last year's ball -- all you have to do is take a couple balls, drop them onto a hard surface, and see how high they bounce.

But even if the ball is juiced, at least you know everybody's pitching and hitting the same ball. Roger Maris might be pissed if it helps somebody hit more home runs than him, but he's dead, so who cares.

Steroids are different. The problem is not that they make you stronger and help you train better. The problem is that they can seriously fuck up your body and your nervous system. The use of steroids is grossly unfair to players who don't use them because they don't want to screw up their lives.

WildHoneyAlways said:
During yesterday's Sock/Royal game, Ken "Hawk" Harrelson put it out there that he though we were seeing a "juiced" ball.

On the way home from work today Steve Stone was commenting on the same issue citing the Rockies performance at PetCo park.

Any thoughts on this?
I think that maybe Steve Stone and the rest of the league are in such shock at the fact that the Rockies are for real and can hit outside of Denver this year.

I for one do not need any "juiced exlpanation". I simply believe that Cory Sullivan and Brad Hawpe can swing the bat. Heck everyone in the lineup except maybe Ardoin can hit.

I hate the fact that if the Rockies score 10 at home, it's because they play at altitude, and if they score 10 at PetCo, the balls are juiced.

Anyone catch the espn piece on Darren "Dutch" Daulton?

Apparently he's gone nuts.

He flies at night when he sleeps
He time travels to anywhere he wants to
and he has official word that the world will end on 12/21/2012:ohmy:

So far, no bean ball in DC. I think they are waiting for tomorrow, they don't want to muck up opening day @ RFK.

ya know... i'm torn. david wright is an RBI machine, and beltran is not a good run producer... he's a natural 2 hitter. they should switch them... but i am loving how they keep pitching around delgado to pitch to wright instead, 'cause he keeps knocking in runs. i mean shit... he had over 100 RBIs last year and he spent half the season batting 7th in a lineup that struggled to score runs. he just has a knack for driving in runs... whereas beltran has a knack for not driving in runs.

Mets have such a deep line up capable of scoring lots of runs. If one guy doesn't get you, the next guy will. It's the deepest line up they've had in a long time (and possibly ever)

KC is giving the Yanks a scare today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom