MLB 2006 - Spring has officially begun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For now, the Mets can just fill out the rotation with someone who can hold down the spot for a while. With the way Pedro and Glavine are going at the top, they are still the team to beat in the NL East. Philly doesn't have the pitching to stay with them, me thinks.

yeah, i dont like our pitchin either, but they havent been that good and were still winning, so i dont know anymore...

myers is going to be great all year, and lidle always, always, always pitches 6 and gives up 3-4. other than that, it's a guess as to how the pitching will fare

The New York Post is calling for Randy Johnson to drill Papi tonight. Are Yankee people getting paranoid down their on New York? That's something I would've expected to see in the Boston Herald a few years ago, but not down in New York. How times have changed...and how refreshing!

good for the new york post... i've been saying it for years. it has nothing to do with paranoia... how many times are you going to let one guy beat the piss out of your pitching staff before you take the skirt off and brush him back? god knows boston's been doing it to yankee hitters for years... do we even have a count on how many times jeter's been hit by the red sox?

but torre has this "well we don't have to stoop to that level" holier than thou bullcrap mentality about himself, and so it won't happen, and ortiz will keep leaning right over the plate, destroying yankee pitching.

the new york post article
May 9, 2006 -- THE Yankees have to droppy Papi. They need to brush the beast back. They need to pick out one of David Ortiz' chins and let a little music dance across the whiskers. And they need to do this immediately. Across the next three days, Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina and Shawn Chacon will each get three or four shots to put Ortiz on notice that, on behalf of the entire Yankee pitching staff, they are mad as hell.
And they aren't going to take it any more.

It's been three-plus years now, and it's time. Look, Ortiz has battered and butchered American League pitching of every stripe, rank and pedigree, despite the 1 for his last 20 funk that he brings to Yankee Stadium tonight. He has emerged, for now and for the foreseeable future, as one of the four or five elite hitters on the planet, a scourge at any time, an absolute nightmare with men on base, and a calamity waiting to happen in the late innings of a close game.

And in The Bronx, he is otherworldly. In his career he's walked to the plate at Yankee Stadium 129 times. He's hit .326 with 11 homers and 21 RBIs; for kicks, if you pro-rate that over 162 games you're merely talking about 66 homers and 126 RBIs. It may be the House that Ruth Built, but it's now Papi's Place, belonging to the Red Sox star far more than any individual Yankee right now.

It's more than that, though. Ortiz is locked in against everybody at this stage in his career, but he's on another level, in another zone whenever he faces the Yankees. Part of that is sheer skill, of course. Part of that is confidence. Part of that is the nervous buzz that fills Yankee Stadium - a nice bookend to the electric jolt that consumes Fenway Park - whenever Ortiz digs in 60 feet, six inches away from a Yankee hurler.

And that's the problem. That's what's maddening. If Ortiz were any more comfortable at the plate, he'd bring a chaise lounge, a pitcher of Pina Coladas and a couple of Cuban cigars with him to the batter's box. If he were any more settled in, he'd hang a badminton net on the grass. Ortiz has splattered Yankees pitching for three-plus years, and he's never once had to face the flip side of all that prosperity.

Not once.

Eventually, that has to end. Way back when, on the July 4th weekend in 2003 when Ortiz first announced himself to the Yankees, hitting four homers in the first two games of a four-game series, a furious Roger Clemens fumed, "Ortiz has too much plate coverage. I am going to have to make adjustments the next time I face him."

Ortiz, still early in his legend, smiled knowingly at that oath and said, "I don't know what he means when he says that," although he knew precisely what Clemens meant. Clemens never did return the favor that year, because there was never an opportunity, and he was gone soon thereafter, just before David Ortiz, burgeoning slugger, officially morphed into Big Papi, Forever Fenway Folk Hero.

But you have to understand one thing, if you know anything at all about Clemens: if he were still here, at sometime in the last two years Ortiz would have gotten a mouthful of dirt. At least once.

At least.

Nobody else has done that. Not once. Look, no one is suggesting the Yankees aim at Ortiz' head, or his ribs, and nobody is suggesting they should be looking to injure Ortiz - or even give him a free base by plunking him in his posterior. But the Yankees have treated Papi as if it's suddenly against the law to move a man off the plate. Clemens called it "plate coverage." The rest of us lay men call it a "comfort zone."

It's been that way for three years. It remained that way last week when Ortiz smoked a scalding blast through the teeth of a billowing wind and into the Sox bullpen for a game-clinching three-run homer at Fenway - against Mike Myers, of all people, a submarining lefty who delivers the ball from just to the right side of the first-base coaching box and scares the bejeezus out of almost every other left-handed hitter in the United States of America.

All except one very comfortable left-handed hitter. Who's going to change that? When?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
do we even have a count on how many times jeter's been hit by the red sox?

311 by Pedro (who's now a Met) and once by an errant 42 MPH Wakefield knuckler which Jeter writhed in pain for 45 minutes after taking said knuckler off of the buttocks.

but it's such a dreamy buttocks...

i'm not saying what the red sox do as far as brushing back certain yankees is bad... as long as you're not aiming at the guy's head, i'm all for putting guys on their ass. and it's long overdue that ortiz gets said large ass put in the dirt.

but as we saw in the first inning... in a perfect situation to hit ortiz, the yankees are too much of a bunch of pansy asses to actually do it.

thus why the red sox now own the mental edge in the "rivalry"

they aren't pussies.

phanan said:
With the exception of the White Sox getting Thome, I don't think there has been a better pickup by a team this year than the Mets grabbing Delgado.

At least so far.
What about AJ Burnett and his many contributions to the Blue Jays?

bad loss by the mets, good win by the phillies.

woulda been a great win for the mets and a terrible loss for the phillies if the mets would have been able to plate another run after the delgado bomb, but, alas, thems the breaks.

Agreed. The Mets won a game like that against the nationals a couple weeks ago. They showed something coming back like that.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Hulking Jim Thome. Rugged Manny Ramirez. Brawny Adam Dunn.

"The thought of these big macho men, swinging pink bats to help women with breast cancer ... what a novel idea," Louisville Slugger president John Hillerich said Tuesday.

Dozens of major-league players are expected to use pink bats in Mother's Day games.
Major League Baseball granted permission for players to use the colorful bats -- baby pink, at that -- for Mother's Day. They're part of a weeklong program to raise money for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

Derek Jeter, David Eckstein and Marcus Giles are among dozens of players who intend to try them Sunday. This is the first time pink has been approved for bats -- dyed at the Louisville Slugger factory, they're usually black, brown, reddish or white.

Kevin Mench was among several Texas players who wanted their mother's names burned on the bats. The Rangers slugger, who homered in seven straight games earlier this season, also planned to have a bat for his grandmother, who died from breast cancer.

"My mom is the glue of our family, and I just want to do something to thank her for all that she has done," Mench said before Tuesday night's game against Minnesota. "At the same time, we are raising money for a great cause."

Howard Smith, senior vice president for licensing for MLB, said the idea for the pink bats struck a chord with commissioner Bud Selig and other executives. The question was how many players would use the sticks.

"It takes a big man to swing a pink bat in a major league game," Smith said.

More than 400 bats were being made for 50-plus players. David Ortiz, Jim Edmonds, Mark Teixeira, Michael Young and Hank Blalock were also on the list.

The Louisville Slugger factory started making the bats last week. Players were still placing orders as of Tuesday, and bats will probably be made and shipped overnight until Thursday or Friday.

"The response has been phenomenal," Hillerich said.

The bats posed something of a logistical problem for Louisville Slugger. Each player uses a different model and size, so coloring, branding and shipping them for Sunday's game has been a challenge, company spokesman Dan Burgess said.

Along with the pink bats, players and all on-field personnel will wear pink wristbands and a pink ribbon for breast cancer awareness on their uniforms. The pink ribbon logo will appear on the bases and on commemorative home plates, and the lineups will be written on pink cards.

The bats, along with the home plates and lineup cards, will be autographed by the teams and will be auctioned later, with the proceeds going to the Breast Cancer Foundation.

:ohmy:

looks like the mets just gave the ole pink bat to the phillies...

10-0 in the top of the 3rd

i think it's safe to say the phillies winning streak is over... if they come back to win this game, i shall print out these words and eat them... hewson shall be witness to the eating in boston in a couple of weeks

but of course, once agian, i left glavine on the bench of my fantasy team :mad:

Last edited:
Ah...eventually the streak of our Phils has to come to an end, but the fact that they have had a streak is interesting because they never got hot like that before. Ever. This team has something that the other teams hasn't, with fiery guys like Aaron Rowand. This is the first Phillies team I've felt confidence in since I can remember.

if they come back to win this game, i shall print out these words and eat them... hewson shall be witness to the eating in boston in a couple of weeks

Damn Phillies, you couldn't have scored an additional 10 runs to add to my entertainment value.:mad:

MOJF105051014_lower.jpg

MOJF112050923_lower.jpg

MOTG112050922_lower.jpg

MOTG113050922_lower.jpg

its truly a priviledge to watch this guy play everyday. not only is he a stud on the field, but he is an even better guy off the field. there are really no words to describe him.

Last edited:
how long do i go w/ manny in my outfield for fantasy baseball? You have to figure he'll get hot and put up his usual insane #s....But what if this isn't his year?

phillyfan26 said:
Ah...eventually the streak of our Phils has to come to an end, but the fact that they have had a streak is interesting because they never got hot like that before. Ever. This team has something that the other teams hasn't, with fiery guys like Aaron Rowand. This is the first Phillies team I've felt confidence in since I can remember.

i'll still take the '93 phillies over this group

From the transaction wire:

05/01/2006 - Schaumburg - Assigned the contract of RHP Nigel Thatch (Rookie) to Fullerton of the Golden Baseball League in exchange for 1 pallet (60 cases) of Budweiser beer.

i'll still take the '93 phillies over this group

w/ Mitch Williams, a juiced up Nails, and "the world will end in 2009, look at me I'm crazy" Dutch Dalton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom