MLB 2006 - Spring has officially begun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DaveC said:

And that kills the Phils' playoff hopes, cause there ain't a chance in hell anyone in the NL East is going to catch the Mets. :grumpy:

i believe it's actually their pitching that kills their playoff chances :wink:

the AL Central appears to be just like the NL East last year... everyone at or around .500, no one pulling away, everyones good, no ones great.

what a performance by Beckett last night. I think the Sox's lineup is really getting exposed. They can't hit lefties for anything and the bottom of the lineup is really hurting. Coco certainly makes it better, but I'm not sure if he'll make everything better.

Manny has been playing better lately. He's got his average up around .300. He's got a few homers, which only took 3 weeks. I think a good indicator of the struggles is that Ortiz has 9 homers but only 17 RBIs. No one has been on base for him.

Not only did Ben Broussard single-handedly destroy the Sox last night...he also plays guitar and has recorded a cover version of "With Or Without You". (There's an audio sample on the page; fast-forward about 3/4ths of the way through.)

Not too bad, but he needs a delay box and a dimpled pick to get the full Edge sound.

the AL playoff race is going to be very interesting... cleveland is quite good, and it looks as if the white sox are going to be just as good again...

the key to the playoffs may be the blue jays... who probably aren't good enough to make the playoffs, but are good enough to take 3-4 wins away from the yankees and red sox. if the twins don't turn it around in the AL Central, the indians and white sox are baisicly gonna run away with it, both winning 90+ games :hmm:

randhail said:
Manny has been playing better lately. He's got his average up around .300. He's got a few homers, which only took 3 weeks. I think a good indicator of the struggles is that Ortiz has 9 homers but only 17 RBIs. No one has been on base for him.

Yeah, the top of the order has been a bigger problem than the bottom of the order (we can't really expect too much from Alex Gonzalez and Willie Harris/Dustan Mohr). Lowell has been OK.

Kevin Youkilis is striking out a lot; teams are figuring out that the best way to get him out is just to throw the heater by him and not let him take a lot of pitches. And Loretta has been awful lately.

When Coco Crisp gets back, they might have to put either Youkilis or Trot Nixon in the #2 hole.

As good as Cleveland can be/ is, this is also the same team that lost 2 of 3 to Kansas City last weekend. Although, they can only get better with Sabbathia coming back soon.

Chizip said:
The NL Central is looking tough this year boys.

The 5th place team is 12-10

Through Thursday's games, the three best records in Major League Baseball belonged to clubs in the NL Central.

Matt Clement and Lenny DiNardo are not the answer for the Red Sox, and new catcher Josh Bard is absolutely killing Wakefield.

The Sox have to get Papelbon into the rotation this year. At this point, it'd be a huge risk *not* to do so.

speedracer said:

Yeah, the top of the order has been a bigger problem than the bottom of the order (we can't really expect too much from Alex Gonzalez and Willie Harris/Dustan Mohr). Lowell has been OK.

Kevin Youkilis is striking out a lot; teams are figuring out that the best way to get him out is just to throw the heater by him and not let him take a lot of pitches. And Loretta has been awful lately.

When Coco Crisp gets back, they might have to put either Youkilis or Trot Nixon in the #2 hole.

I really think Loretta will be there #2 hitter. I know his .219 average doesnt back that up but its still early and he will heat up. I think crisp will reclaim his leadoff spot when he returns.

How bout them mets!!!!!!

I Get to go see them in Phoenix!!!

Then I get to go to Anaheim to see Piazza and the punchless Padres......

Alliteration Aside it should still be quite a week in june.

Oh yea, and i get to see the mets in Toronto the following week.

That might be the best two week span of my life:dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

speedracer said:
Matt Clement and Lenny DiNardo are not the answer for the Red Sox, and new catcher Josh Bard is absolutely killing Wakefield.

The Sox have to get Papelbon into the rotation this year. At this point, it'd be a huge risk *not* to do so.

Wouldn't it be something if tomorrow, May 1st, news comes out that Roger Clemens is returning to the Sox for his final year.

:hmm:

That would help with some things, wouldn't it?

I don't think you can take Papelbon out of the bullpen this year. He's 10-10 in save opportunities, you take him out, you make the bullpen much weaker. Not only that, but you would effectively lose his services for a few weeks while he gets stretched back out to be a starter.

I just hope the front office doesn't get crazy and trade prospects for pitching help this season. Signing Clemens would be the best solution because they give up nothing to get him. Sure he'll cost a lot, but Lester and co. would still be waiting in the wings for next season.

Heheh, Kelvim Escobar drilled pierzynski last niight.

Guillen puts blame on Angels
By Scot Gregor
Daily Herald Sports Writer
Posted Sunday, April 30, 2006

ANAHEIM, Calif. — In the wake of the White Sox’ 2-1 victory over the Angels on Saturday night, Jose Contreras should have been talking about his latest gem.

Or Jim Thome should have been talking about his clutch home run in the sixth inning that decided the outcome.

Instead, the buzz centered around Los Angeles starter Kelvim Escobar, who drilled A.J. Pierzynski in the leg with a pitch in the second inning.

While Escobar denied the intent, there’s little doubt it was a purpose pitch stemming from last season’s American League championship series between the clubs.

Pierzynski was involved in two controversial plays, and Escobar was on the mound for both of them.

In Game 2, Pierzynski reached first base when Angels catcher Josh Paul apparently trapped a third strike. In Game 5, Escobar fielded a comebacker but tagged Pierzynski with his glove when the ball was in his other hand.

After Saturday’s game, Sox manager Ozzie Guillen went off on Escobar.

“If Escobar is going to hit somebody, he should hit himself,’’ Guillen said. “A.J. didn’t have anything to do with the dumb(bleep) plays they made. Josh Paul and him, the two dumb (bleeping) plays they made and now they’re blaming A.J.

“You have to be dumb enough to blame it on somebody when you screwed it up. If you’re going to blame somebody, look in the mirror. A.J. didn’t have anything to do with that. I think that’s a low-(bleep) way to play baseball.’’

Guillen was just getting warmed up.

“People in Los Angeles should remember that play like the Bill Buckner thing,’’ said Guillen, recalling Buckner’s infamous error in the 1986 World Series.

“It’s nobody’s fault Josh Paul didn’t tag the guy. It’s nobody’s fault (Escobar) tagged the guy with the wrong hand. Blame yourself. And now you’re going to hit somebody for no reason? You can get somebody hurt with no reason.’’

Pierzynski appeared to have a few words for Escobar as he headed to first base after being hit, but he denied saying anything.

“I don’t know why the (heck) he’s hitting me,’’ Pierzynski said. “I just ran to first. Maybe he should hit the guy (Paul) that rolled the ball back to the mound. I didn’t do anything to show him up.’’

Contreras (4-0), meanwhile, pitched 8-1/3 innings and allowed 1 run on 5 hits to win his 12th straight regular-season decision dating to last year.

“Contreras dealt and we got a win,’’ Pierzynski said. “That’s the biggest thing. It’s a shame people will be talking about all of this stupid stuff.’’

Kelvim Escobar really should drill Doug Eddings the next time he's working the plate.

the NL East has really gone down the crapper this year, and I don't really expect it to improve much. he Phillies suck, the Braves just aren't that good this year, the Nationals and Marlins stink as well

and the West is so bad Colorado is in first place

The NL really stinks this year, though the NL central is holding its own for now, though the reds, cubs, and brewers should all fall back some.

Chizip said:
the NL East has really gone down the crapper this year, and I don't really expect it to improve much. he Phillies suck, the Braves just aren't that good this year, the Nationals and Marlins stink as well

and the West is so bad Colorado is in first place

The NL really stinks this year, though the NL central is holding its own for now, though the reds, cubs, and brewers should all fall back some.

that's why i'm as excited about the mets as i am... normaly i'd try to hold back my excitement till at least june, but the NL is so bad that it would take an utter choke job for them to not make the playoffs.

there's really only 3 teams in the NL that are viable world series candidates... st. louis, houston and new york. i guess you have to include atlanta in the discussion based on their past history, but i think they're really going to miss not having leo mazzone around to make gold out of a pile of shit. philly will be average... philly could be good if they traded for a top line pitcher, but are there any available that they could get? san francisco relies too much on old players to stay around... bonds, finley and alou are all over 40, and omar vizquel is 39. colorado has a nice young lineup but i highly doubt they have the pitching to hold up in the post-season.

the benefit to all this is, however, that it may be so tough to get out of the american league this year that the AL champ's pitching may be worn out by the time they get to the world series.

Mirabelli's back in a Sox uniform...he should be there tonight to catch for Wakefield. I'm sure both Wake and Mirabelli are happy about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom