MLB '08, Part Dos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not that there's really anything good you can take away from getting beaten 11-0 at home by the worst team in baseball (although hey, the mariners are just a bat away from the world series, so they've got that going for them)... but it is nice to see a manager stand up for his player's, and then a player stand up for his manager.

not that there's really anything good you can take away from getting beaten 11-0 at home by the worst team in baseball

Ha! I was thinking that last night.

I hope Felix Hernandez ends up being okay - it'd be a shame to have something as memorable as an AL pitcher hitting a grand slam* followed by an immediate injury that fucks you up the rest of the season.

*"Get out the rye bread and mustard, Grandma, it's grand salami time!"

you wouldn't do very well in new york or boston...

I lived in Boston for 5 years, and I know they have an inferiority complex as well. Or did until 2004.

I'm currently working in New York, and the people here are just as idiotic as when I was here last time. As fun as it can be, I wouldn't live here in a million years.

I lived in Boston for 5 years, and I know they have an inferiority complex as well. Or did until 2004.

I'm currently working in New York, and the people here are just as idiotic as when I was here last time. As fun as it can be, I wouldn't live here in a million years.

Dude, like LA is not littered with clowns? Where is it that you can live where you totally escape idiots? Galt's Gulch?

I don't like the tightly-wound, in a hurry, brusk and brash attitude, the braggadocio. As if that's not the norm here.

Maybe California is too laid back, but I'd rather err on the side of flakiness.

And I live on the east side of Los Angeles, which is about as far away as you can get from the shallow Hollywood/Beverly Hills aesthetic. We actually walk around in our neighborhoods, have a community, etc.

Back on topic, categories the Cubs now lead the NL in:

ERA
Batting Average Against
Wins
Earned Runs
Runs Against

Runs Scored
Hits
Doubles
Total Bases
Batting Average
On Base Percentage
Slugging Percentage

OK last night Kevin Cash threw out a basestealer, received an intentional walk, and hit a 3-run HR all in the same game. That may not be full Bizarro World territory, but it's getting there.

And I know it's the MLB thread but I was flipping back & forth with the CWS...and see a guy go 4-4 with 2 HR and 6 RBI (Detwiler) all without a left thumb ligament. Impressive.

Laz, your Cubbies are headin down to the South Side tomorrow...

Are you ready? Have you completed your training? We are poised and prepared to destroy all things Cub over this weekend series.

Should be fun. Good luck. You're gonna need it.

Not to defend him, but, he is referring to the rest of LA, where, truly, nobody walks on the streets.

Laz, you're over in East LA? What part?

Thank you, sir. That is the comparison I was making.

I live in Echo Park, less than a 10-minute walk from Dodger Stadium. Former Mexican gang epicenter, now hipster mecca for people who think Silver Lake is too bourgeois.

I'm not saying they suck, but when you have the best record in baseball you should be beating these teams at least 2 out of 3 times. It's weird, swept by the D-Rays, then they sweep the White Sox, and now this.

That's sort of true...I mean, if you've got the best record in baseball you really ought to be winning your home series. But as speed says the O's are a nice team, certainly not the old crappy O's we're used to. And the Rays are surely legit, especially at the Trop (Cubs played them in TB right?)

NSW I'd think you guys got more than you expected out of Mussina this year...that he's somewhat held it down while Joba got stretched out could end up being very big for the Yanks.

Latrell Chacon gets no love around here? Sheesh.

Thank you, sir. That is the comparison I was making.

I live in Echo Park, less than a 10-minute walk from Dodger Stadium. Former Mexican gang epicenter, now hipster mecca for people who think Silver Lake is too bourgeois.

Spent 10 years out there, am quite familiar with the area. A very close friend of mine still lives in Silverlake, which I always refer to as "Eclectic Silverlake" after seeing it described as such in the papers for years.

Ever eat in the House of Pies?

So, I'm in NYC for 4 days and I'm not attending any of the Met/Yankee chaos. I could sort of hop on the 4 right now and buy a ticket for the day game, but will not be able to attend any of the others, sadly.

The AL East is easily the most loaded division in MLB right now.

I'd take the AL Central.

Let's do some comparisons shall we:

The two "worst" teams in the Central and East...record wise...are the Royals/Indians and Blue Jays/Orioles.

Of those 4 teams, which has the best chance of making a legitimate run at the playoffs? The Indians. Mark one down for the AL Central.

Next we compare the Tigers and Yankees. That's a wash because they both spend too much money on shitty, injury-prone players and neither team can pitch their way out of a paper bag. But can they both make a run at a playoff berth? Yes.

Next we compare the second place Devil Rays and the second place Twins. That's another wash. Two scrappy, young, well-managed ball clubs who are playing out of their heads.

So it all comes down to Sox vs. Sox. The two first place Sox.

Red Sox vs. White Sox...

Advantage AL central.

AL Central, due to logical reasoning, is the most loaded division in MLB.

Royals/Indians vs. Blue Jays/Orioles - of those four teams, I agree the Indians are the best, but when you factor in the Royals, as far as I'm concerned, that makes this comparison a wash. And the records of the two AL East teams are better. In fact, four teams in the AL East are over .500 - the AL Central has two.

And please enlighten me how the White Sox have the advantage over the Red Sox, who have a better record despite a string of injuries to major players. You conveniently left out your reasoning for that one.

And please enlighten me how the White Sox have the advantage over the Red Sox, who have a better record despite a string of injuries to major players. You conveniently left out your reasoning for that one.

Here's my reasoning:

view.image

These two have yet to begin hitting the baseball with consistency. And we still kick ass without taking any names.

Oh...and toss in the best team ERA in baseball, a Gold-Glove infield, the emergence of future Hall of Famers Carlos Quentin and Alexei Ramirez, and the incoherent vocal stylings of Ozzie Guillen and we have a team that takes a morning dump all over the aging and fragile Red Sox.

Where do I begin?

Wait a minute, let me think here.

:hmm:

Oh yes, perhaps these two over your two.

14hitting.xlarge1.jpg

What else?

Both teams in the top ten in Team ERA (and no, the White Sox aren't first). So that's pretty much a wash to me.

And let me see, I think the Red Sox have some gold glovers in their infield as well.

Batting avg. - to the Red Sox, easily.

Did I miss anything?

I forgot to mention that Jermaine Dye is on the juice this year and has a good shot at breaking Bonds' 73 homer mark.

Oh yeah, and then there's this guy...

aj_pierzynski-726268.jpg

And look...the Red Sox are on the cover of this week's Sports Illustrated...and we are all well aware of the curse associated with that...

hawk04.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom