MLB '08, Part Dos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but I'm really fuggin excited that the Brew Crew got Sabathia.

This has made my day.

Cubs and Cardinals fans everywhere are crying in their breakfast cereal.

i don't understand that line of thought. i do not jump for joy when the red sox make a good move, just because it will be bad for the yankees. then again i had both teams.

meanwhile ryan howard has now struck out 4 times today alone. if he gets up again and strikes out, would that be the platinum sombrero?

I just think it will make for a more exciting and entertaining race out in the NL Central. That's all I'm sayin. There's a good chance now that division will be a legitimate 3 team race all the way through September.

And given where I live and the people I surround myself with...it's gonna be fun.

meanwhile ryan howard has now struck out 4 times today alone. if he gets up again and strikes out, would that be the platinum sombrero?

yes :hi5:

The term derives from "hat trick" and since four is bigger than three, the rationale was that a four-strikeout performance should be referred to by a bigger hat, such as a sombrero. The "Olympic Rings" or platinum sombrero applies to a player striking out five times in a game,[1] while a horn (after Sam Horn of the Baltimore Orioles who accomplished the feat in an extra-inning game in 1991) or titanium sombrero is bestowed upon a player who strikes out six times in a single game.[2]

I don't know if I've said this before, but I haven't liked Ryan Howard for about two years now.

Schoenweis comes in, and Chris Wheeler (can't stand him) goes, "Schoenweis isn't much of a strikeout pitcher." Hey Wheels, he's facing fucking Ryan Howard. My left-handed fifteen year old brother could strikeout Howard because he throws a curveball, and that's barely an exaggeration.

Carlos Ruiz needs a lighter bat.

Durbin's a very good pitcher. He, Romero, and Lidge have really looked sharp this year. Even Madson is stepping his game up lately.

Woohoo! Embarassing team makes worse decision! After great performances from the bullpen (through 9 innings, the bullpen gave up 2 hits and held the Tigers scoreless), TEAM WONDER (which is the nightmare Seattle calls a coaching staff) decides to give the game away (see letting catcher pitch whilst 2 fresh arms remain unused in pen--one of which throws 100 mph, and hasn't given up a run in 2 months--his last 16 innings--and has only given up 2 earned runs on solo homeruns this year). Can it get worse? Oh, folks! I'm sure it can! Just give it time. Maybe next year, we'll sign Canseco to be our closer or something. :|

Schoenweis comes in, and Chris Wheeler (can't stand him) goes, "Schoenweis isn't much of a strikeout pitcher." Hey Wheels, he's facing fucking Ryan Howard. My left-handed fifteen year old brother could strikeout Howard because he throws a curveball, and that's barely an exaggeration.

Carlos Ruiz needs a lighter bat.

actually i think your brother could strike him out. i think if i, a righty, threw lefty to howard, i could at least get 2 strikes on him before eventually either hitting him or walking him.

Woohoo! Embarassing team makes worse decision! After great performances from the bullpen (through 9 innings, the bullpen gave up 2 hits and held the Tigers scoreless), TEAM WONDER (which is the nightmare Seattle calls a coaching staff) decides to give the game away (see letting catcher pitch whilst 2 fresh arms remain unused in pen--one of which throws 100 mph, and hasn't given up a run in 2 months--his last 16 innings--and has only given up 2 earned runs on solo homeruns this year). Can it get worse? Oh, folks! I'm sure it can! Just give it time. Maybe next year, we'll sign Canseco to be our closer or something. :|

don't lose hope. remember... you're just a bat away from being good.

actually i think your brother could strike him out. i think if i, a righty, threw lefty to howard, i could at least get 2 strikes on him before eventually either hitting him or walking him.

Agreed. And you, a righty, would still have about a 50% chance of getting him struck out right-handed.

Utley's slumping like you wouldn't believe. He swung at two balls in his last at bat there. Ugh.

Bah. I haven't been this pissed off about the Red Sox splitting a series in Yankee Stadium in a long time.

Now I have to sit back and hope the Rays and Yankees annihilate each other in an epic bench-clearing brawl in a couple days.

Bah. I haven't been this pissed off about the Red Sox splitting a series in Yankee Stadium in a long time.

Now I have to sit back and hope the Rays and Yankees annihilate each other in an epic bench-clearing brawl in a couple days.

Yeah, getting beaten on an 18-hopper by Reggie Willits Jr. will do that to you. The worst part is I think Lugo gets to that ball (now whether he makes a good throw is debateable).

OK for anyone who claims fan voting for the AS game is stupid, and that they never get it right, I submit to you this little golden nugget: A guy with a line of .218/.300/.358 (AVG/OBP/SLG) made the AS team, and not because the fans voted him in (though to be fair they almost did). Watching Jason Varitek hit (or should I say swing) this year has been painful, watching Tito continue to trust his bat in big spots and hit & run with him has been maddening, but seeing him make the AS team is embarrassing.

And Joba is a punk. I get it, he thinks he's a big badass probably due to a combination of throwing hard and being graced with 24/7 media ballwashing in NY, but if he keeps throwing at Youkilis he's gonna get somebody hurt. If Giambi doesn't get that throw over on the DP as quick as he does Captain Intangibles was getting spiked in the nuts, because Youk was going in spikes up. Just stupid. Though I guess give him credit, at least it wasn't at his head like last year. Clown.

Who do you guys like in the fan vote? I haven't really looked at the NL guys but for me it's Longoria in the AL.

Still true, just as when I said it. Anyone with an average over .200 with runners in scoring position would equate to probably 10 more wins for us this year. But no matter, you'll still make sarcastic bullshit replies and I'll still support my hometown team.

Since Jason Varitek made the all-star team this year, and since Kevin Cash has been about equal to Varitek offensively this year and better defensively, clearly Cash deserves the last spot on the AL roster (sorry Longoria, Jason Giambi, et al).

Since Jason Varitek made the all-star team this year, and since Kevin Cash has been about equal to Varitek offensively this year and better defensively, clearly Cash deserves the last spot on the AL roster (sorry Longoria, Jason Giambi, et al).

Indeed, Cash has played well, but to note, Varitek was voted in by MLB players, not by the fans (although, the nation did well in voting). I would think Varitek getting selected by fellow players is quite the honor.

Cash WILL make a name for himself...although I doubt it will be as big of a name playing in the shadows of such a well respected catcher like Varitek.

Cash has done a fine job catching Wakefield this year. Not an easy thing.

And speaking of Wakefield...lost in all the typical Yankee/Red Sox postgame fallout is what a fine job Laz Diaz did calling Wake's pitches last night. The knuckler's movement generally leads to ugly swings, passed balls...and missed ball/strike calls. Diaz did as good a job as I can remember any ump doing last night. There were some pitches that even this less-than-objective Sox fan thought were balls, that Diaz called strikes...and he was confirmed correct on several of them by ESPN's trusty K-zone.

People, for whatever this is worth to any of you, I just found out that I will be going to the All-Star game next week. I've never been to one, so that's exciting....and having it at Yankee Stadium makes it very special for me. I am about as excited and happy as I can be. So happy that I'll let CTU2 fan's post go and not reply! :)

I'm fucking psyched.

People, for whatever this is worth to any of you, I just found out that I will be going to the All-Star game next week. I've never been to one, so that's exciting....and having it at Yankee Stadium makes it very special for me. I am about as excited and happy as I can be. So happy that I'll let CTU2 fan's post go and not reply! :)

I'm fucking psyched.

Who cares?

The Tigers traded for Dontrel Willis. We're going to the WORLD SERIES!!!!

I'm fucking psyched.

:up: Sweet.

I'm fucking psyched.
Have fun and remember...this time it counts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With one new pitcher pitching every five days?

Were they only one pitcher away from first place?

Cause, you know....Sanatana has really helped the Mets this year! :hmm:

Yeah, as much of a Brew Crew fan that I am, I don't know if this move guarantees anything. It should help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom