MLB '08, Part Dos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The AL has made Philly look really bad this week. No offense whatsoever. Granted, the Phils got one of the toughest interleague schedules (Boston and LAA, and no easy team like Seattle), but still, I was hoping for more than they gave.

And Brett Myers is an absolute enigma.

Nah, Brett Myers fuckin' sucks. He can't hit the broad side of a barn, and when he manages to get lucky and gets it across the plate, he hangs it and it gets put out. And oddly his numbers are better at the Bank. :shrug:

Seems he succeeds in the bullpen, and maybe it's time to stop forcing him to be a starter. I've read a rumour that the Phils are in the running for Fuentes (in a trade for Castro), and have discreetly asked around about CC Sabathia and Roy Halladay. If another decent starter gets added it might be time to think about moving Myers back, because the Phightin's can't really afford to be giving opponents 4-run head starts every time Myers starts a game.

NSW: thoughts on Citizens Bank Park?

I personally love the atmosphere there, and only Camden Yards and Jacobs Field have rivaled it for me.

CBP, even though it was the only major league (or minor league for that matter) park I've ever been to, was really an awesome place for my first MLB game. The fans in our section (104, 4 rows up) were awesome, and the Phils bullpen was right over my right shoulder, so we got to chat with the relievers when the fat guy behind us got tired of heckling Griffey. The atmosphere was awesome, and it was probably one of the biggest reasons why I finally started to become a baseball nut (and Phils fan) after I got home. :up:

Had my first Philly cheesesteak there too (even though it wasn't nearly as good as the one I had two days later at a deli on South St.), but I wish I'd gotten crab fries instead :drool: Some magazine just recently voted CBP as having the best food and cheapest beer in the Majors. I'll try to find the link to the list.

Do we really have to say the whole name of the corporate overlords who own these places? Just reading "C****** B*** Park" makes me want to throw up. Something like "The Cell" is a lot easier to digest, even if it holds a lame team and their buffoon fans. I appreciate the acronym, Dave.

Also, it's really sad that SO many Sox fans have an inferiority complex and go out of their way to make and buy anti-Cubs t-shirts, when Cubs fans for the most part are comfortable enough with their loyalty to just wear team stuff. Go watch a crosstown game at the Sox park to see what I mean. So pathetic.

I'm completely with you on that Laz.

I would never wear a "Cubs Suck" T-shirt or anything like that. It's pointless and quite lame.

But, in fairness, there are a lot of Cubs fans (I know many personally) who own anti-White Sox shirts and wear them proudly. It works on both sides, really.

But, in fairness, there are a lot of Cubs fans (I know many personally) who own anti-White Sox shirts and wear them proudly. It works on both sides, really.

I've been to both parks numerous times for crosstown games. And while yes, there are anti-Sox shirts, I'm just saying that I've seen MUCH more anti-Cubs merchandise.

But that's what happens when you're the New York Mets of Chicago.

haha I just did a quick search Google and this was one of the ones I found

gaybarshirt.jpg

NSW: thoughts on Citizens Bank Park?

I personally love the atmosphere there, and only Camden Yards and Jacobs Field have rivaled it for me.

Have not been yet, sadly.

Camden still stands out, I love it there. The Jake I did not like quite as much.

I think the Pirates and Giants home stadiums are the two that most impressed me.....the views alone are amazing........

Pittsburgh's park itself is the best. The only problem is the team and the fact that fans rarely show.

I have seen it in full force, however, and it's fantastic.

Do we really have to say the whole name of the corporate overlords who own these places? Just reading "C****** B*** Park" makes me want to throw up. Something like "The Cell" is a lot easier to digest, even if it holds a lame team and their buffoon fans. I appreciate the acronym, Dave.

There's no legitimate nickname for Citizens Bank Park (like "The Linc" for Lincoln Financial Field). And I unconciously type as I would speak, and saying "CBP" out loud would not be notable enough to get one to notice what I'm talking about.

It's not like I'm saying it to piss you off or something like that.

Last edited:
It's not like I'm saying it to piss you off or something like that.

Oh, I was more venting at the whole corporatization of baseball, not at you.

Of course, this is coming from someone who loves going to Wrigley Field, which is I'm sure one of the first company-sponsored parks. But it certainly has a nicer ring than all these modern venues.

Baseball's been like that since before we were all born. Not saying that makes it right, it's just the way it is. And, you're seeing it with Football, Basketball and Hockey arenas, too.

Hewson, how many bets would you say you lay down a week? Sorry if that's prying, I'm just curious.....

Of course, this is coming from someone who loves going to Wrigley Field, which is I'm sure one of the first company-sponsored parks. But it certainly has a nicer ring than all these modern venues.

I've no idea why they didn't name it Citizens Park. You get your corporate name in there, but it doesn't sound nearly as corporate. Plus it kind of sounds like it's for the citizens, like the Vet was for the Veterans.

Yeah, but compromise isn't part of the bottom line.

Oddly enough, I don't have a problem with something like Staples Center. Not because I'm a Laker fan, but because as with Wrigley, it has a nice ring to it. Someone from another country wouldn't automatically recognize it as a corporate stamp.

Actually, Wrigley hasn't ever paid a cent for naming rights. :shrug:

I've been going to games at Wrigley and Sox park since I was a kid. When I was a kid the area around Wrigley wasn't what it is today. Alot of the "charm" (and by charm I mean pissing in a trough for guys and looking up at the concrete catching nets) has to do with that neighborhood these days.

Laz, why are you such a hater? You chastise people for wearing anti-cub shirts but in the same breath you call people who go to the cell "buffoons." What gives? The anti-White Sox sentiment is much more apparent here than the anti-Cub stuff. :|

There's a difference between verbal sparring and actually going to the lengths of buying a shirt proclaiming what you DON'T like, and wearing it specifically to bother people.

That's about as low a form of existence imaginable.

Buehrle is back!!!

He's 3-0 with only 7 earned runs over his last 5 starts...39 innings pitched over that stretch.

If y'all don't have him on your Fantasy baseball teams, you best scoop him up tonight. He's pitching like vintage Mark. Quick, crisp, confident, sharp.

WildHoneyAlways, you gonna start wearing your Buehrle shirt again? :wink:

I saw a few innings of the Chisox/Dodger game tonight and I will say this: the Sox looked good. They look like they're playing with confidence.

Alright, Lackey!

Good to see that you're finally recognizing who your biggest competition in the AL is. :up:

Buehrle is back!!!

He's 3-0 with only 7 earned runs over his last 5 starts...39 innings pitched over that stretch.

If y'all don't have him on your Fantasy baseball teams, you best scoop him up tonight. He's pitching like vintage Mark. Quick, crisp, confident, sharp.

WildHoneyAlways, you gonna start wearing your Buehrle shirt again? :wink:

Mark Buehrle has me on his fantasy team.

before the green monster was green it was covered in advertisements.

the "corporatization" of baseball is nothing new. the only thing new is the complaining about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom