Mission Impossible III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only thing preventing me from seeing this is knowing 25% of the film's gross will go to Cruise because he produces it, and that will go the Scientology, it's been reported, I'm not just pulling it out of my ass.

if it comes to the dollar theater, I'll see it because I'm Ving Rhames's bitch.

corianderstem said:
This is a very weird thread.

well... go to the TomKat thread....

now THAT's wierd.... only people that HATE Tom Cruise post almost everyday and it's aready in page 20, 2nd thread... :huh:

(yeah... I go there too everyday :reject: :hyper: )

Well, I lead a fairly pop-culture-ful life ... I think I get my fill of TomKat without having to venture into that thread. :wink:

You guys are right. We'll steer this one back on topic. And I apologize for my part in getting it off track. :)

you don't have to apologize for anything :love:

back on track... I really want to see this movie now. Everyone says is really great...

Last edited:
anitram said:
'M:I3' fails to meet box office forecast.

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Fewer people chose to accept Tom Cruise's latest mission, a possible sign that the odd behavior of Hollywood's biggest star may have taken a toll on his box-office charm.

Paramount's "Mission: Impossible III" debuted with $48.025 million, a solid opening yet well below industry expectations and almost $10 million lower than the franchise's previous installment, according to studio estimates Sunday.

maybe they can blame Bush for that. People are saving their money to buy gas, not something frivoulous and entertaining like a movie, which may cost $5.00 in gas just in travelling expenses :wink:

I didn't think it was better than the first two, but that's just my opinion :) I do think gas prices are affecting movies, also May is a big month for graduations and weddings. And I don't hate Tom Cruise, just because I post in that other thread doesn't mean I hate him :huh:

It's a very entertaining film, it's weird to me when 48 million is considered disappointing. I do think the media is looking for anything to take digs at Tom Cruise, obviously he brought that on himself to a large extent.

It's even more disappointing when you examine the actual number of tickets sold. M:I2 made $10 million more it's opening weekend six years ago and we all know how much movie tickets have gone up since then. So $48 million sounds even less impressive when you factor that in.

I wonder how much staying power it will have with soooo many huge movies coming out like Davinci Code and X-men 3?

By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - In a rare public show of support for a beleaguered star, some of Hollywood's top executives rallied to Tom Cruise's side on Wednesday as a new poll suggested his odd behavior in recent months may have cost him millions of dollars at the box office.

Among the movie industry heavyweights offering personal testimonials to his talent and bankability were Universal Studios President Ron Meyer, veteran producer Jerry Bruckheimer and Paramount Pictures Chairman Brad Grey, whose company released Cruise's latest film, "Mission: Impossible III."

"Tom Cruise is one of the most important stars ever in the motion picture business," Ron Meyer, a close friend and former agent, told Reuters. "I don't know anybody who has had the consistent success rate that Tom has. And nobody should be counting him out."

Added Gray: "He is clearly, on a profit basis as well as a creative basis, one of the biggest stars in the world."

Days after "Mission: Impossible III" opened to lower-than-expected domestic ticket sales, a USA Today/Gallup poll showed Cruise's star power in the eyes of the public has dimmed considerably.

In the poll of 1,013 adults conducted during the film's first weekend in theaters, 35 percent registered a favorable opinion of Cruise, to 51 percent with an unfavorable opinion.

That's a major turnaround from last year, when Cruise's previous film, "War of the Worlds," opened and his poll ratings were 58 percent favorable and 31 percent unfavorable.

USA Today reported that Cruise's popularity decline with women was also sharp, slipping from a 56 percent favorable rating in 2005 to 35 percent now.

The poll sparked an unusual public outpouring of solidarity from Cruise's friends in high places, who insisted his status and popularity were undiminished. And they disputed the notion that his latest film was a commercial disappointment.

SUCCESS OR DISAPPOINTMENT?

"Mission: Impossible III" grossed $47.7 million in its first three days at the North American box office, well short of the $60 million to $70 million expected by industry watchers despite generally warm reviews and an extra-wide opening in more than 4,000 theaters.

Supporters pointed to the additional $70 million in overseas receipts it generated in its first weekend.

"If you do $118 million in a three-day period around the world, you're to be congratulated," Gray said. "When the summer is over, you will see that audiences will have come out to see Tom and they'll be praising the picture and praising the work he's done."

"It's the biggest non-holiday opening for a Tom Cruise movie ever," added longtime producing partner Paula Wagner.

Some experts have said the movie suffered from overexposure of Cruise, 43, in the media during three weeks of publicity, premieres and stories about him, his fiancée, actress Katie Holmes, and their newborn daughter, Suri.

"The media overexposes him, and then turns around and asks the question: 'Is he overexposed?', which is kind of ironic," Cruise spokesman Arnold Robinson told Reuters.

USA Today said that many of its survey's respondents cited Cruise's behavior during the past year, including his blunt criticism of psychiatry and actress Brooke Shield's treatment for postpartum depression, for their poor impression of him.

"As a woman who has dealt with postpartum depression and has taken antidepressants in the past, I have no desire to line Mr. Cruise's pockets with any of my hard-earned cash," Fiona Sutten, 34, of Virginia Beach, Virginia, told the newspaper.

Cruise also became the butt of countless jokes for his manic, couch-hopping appearance on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" last May to declare his love for Holmes.

Bruckheimer, a producer of Cruise movies "Top Gun" and "Days of Thunder," called the three-time Oscar nominee "a very passionate guy."

"Tom's really a good guy ... and the press and public can turn on people for God knows what reason. But I know what he really is -- a warm-hearted, terrific individual," Bruckheimer said. "And he's a wonderful actor.

But one associate who spoke on condition of anonymity said Cruise may have been too freewheeling with his off-screen image while promoting "War of the Worlds" in the midst of his high-profile courtship of Holmes last year.

Might see it this weekend, I saw the trailor and (IMO one of the most important things about movies like these) the villain intrigues me.

I've never seen either the first or the second ..:reject:

So I have no interest in the third.

The only Cruise movies I like are Magnolia, Vanilla Sky & Eyes Wide Shut. I never cared for the guy and this was way before knowing he was a loon or scientologist. I'm just naturally not attracted to huge, hyped up blockbusters and the usual stars. This also includes De Niro, Clooney, Hanks and Pitt etc... or Spielberg :yuck:

However, I do admit to having a slight interest in the Da Vinci code cause Audrey Tautou is in it.

Last edited:
‘Poseidon’ can’t overtake ‘Mission’ at box office

Disaster remake pulls in $20.3 million, debuts at No. 2
The Associated Press
Updated: 7:23 p.m. ET May 14, 2006

It was bottoms up for “Poseidon,” as the cruise ship disaster remake failed to topple “Mission: Impossible III” from a second week atop the nation’s box office, according to studio estimates Sunday.

“Mission: Impossible III” clung to No. 1 with a $24.5 million take during an anemic North America box office weekend that saw the Tom Cruise action film drop 49 percent from its opening weekend.

Internationally, “Mission: Impossible III” raked in another $37.3 million to bring its two-week earnings overall to $214 million.

“It’s not a bad start,” said Rob Moore, Paramount’s president of worldwide marketing, distribution and operations.

“Poseidon,” which reportedly cost $150 million-plus to make, debuted in second place with what was described as a solid weekend opening of $20.3 million.

I think this script was just like a really long alias episiode

I think JJ abrams just applied the alias formula to MI3

Arun V said:
I think this script was just like a really long alias episiode

hey Arun

how are things?

Which Came First? The 'Mission Impossible' or the Egg?
"Mission Impossible" spawned "Alias," which, well, spawned "Mission: Impossible III."

By Greg Braxton
Times Staff Writer

May 12, 2006

"Mission: Impossible III" is more than the latest version of the small-screen espionage drama that has been a pop culture icon since its premiere in the 1960s.

It's also a big-screen version of "Alias," with Tom Cruise taking on the Jennifer Garner role.

"M:i:III" director J.J. Abrams has acknowledged that "Alias," his ABC series about a graduate student living a double life as a secret agent, was inspired in part by the "Mission: Impossible" TV show. And he said "Alias" in turn served as a valuable training ground for him to take on the big-screen adventure, which took in a disappointing $48 million in the U.S. and Canada its opening weekend, less than Paramount Pictures had hoped for.

Given Abrams' fondness for the original, perhaps it's no surprise that "M:i:III" appears to be more of a homage to the first few seasons of "Alias" than to the original "Mission: Impossible."

Consider these similarities. And please don't tell Ben Affleck.

The "Let's Skip the Intros and Just Cut to the Mayhem" Moment

"Alias": The first scenes of the pilot find spy Sydney Bristow (Garner) bloodied and bound to a chair in a dark, ominous room, where she is menaced by a mysterious villain. How she got into this pickle is related in flashbacks later in the episode.

"M:i:III": The first scene of the film finds spy Ethan Hunt (Cruise) bloodied and bound to a chair in a dark, ominous room, where he is menaced by a mysterious villain. How he got into this pickle is related in flashbacks later in the film.

The "Spies Like Excellent Health Benefits" Moment

"Alias": Sydney's fiancé is a doctor who has no idea she is a spy.

"M:i:III": Ethan's fiancée is a nurse who has no idea he is a spy.

The "Spies Have Boring Cover Stories" Moment

"Alias": Sydney tells her friends she works for a bank.

"M:i:III": Ethan tells friends he works for the traffic department.

The "Spies Should Get Caller ID" Moment

"Alias" : Sydney gets a call at home from "Joey's Pizza," which is spy agency code for "Your Country Needs You to Get to Work."

"M:i:III": Ethan gets a call at home from "Ready Travel Resort Services," which is spy agency code for "Your Country Needs You to Get to Work."

The "OK, What Is My Mission and No, I Don't Want a Big Gulp" Moment

"Alias": Sydney first meets her operations handler Michael Vaughn (Michael Vartan) at a convenience store, where they both pretend to shop for Twinkies while discussing the mission. Sydney declines Michael's offer for a Slushee.

"M:i:III": Ethan meets his operations manager, John Musgrave (Billy Crudup), at a convenience store, where they both pretend to hunt for Twinkies while discussing the mission. Ethan advises Musgrave to get the "900-ounce Slurpee."

The "Hit Me With Your Best Adrenalin Shot" Moment

"Alias": Sydney rescues a barely conscious Vaughn from bad guys, reviving him with an Adrenalin shot to the heart.

"M:i:III": Ethan rescues a barely conscious fellow agent, Lindsey Farris (Keri Russell), from bad guys, reviving her with an Adrenalin shot to the heart.

The "I Look More Needy if I'm on a Roof" Moment

"Alias": Sydney, not wanting to give her real mission away, summons her friend, reporter Will Tippin (Bradley Cooper), to a rooftop and asks for help, telling him, "You just have to trust me."

"M:i:III": Ethan, not wanting to give his real mission away, summons his fiancée to the rooftop, asks for help, begging her to "trust me."

The "Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time" Moment

"Alias": Bad guys plant an explosive device in Will's head.

"M:i:III:" Bad guys plant an explosive device in Ethan's head (and one in Lindsey's too).

The "Head Fu" Moment

"Alias": When the bound Sydney's torturer gets a little too close to her face, she head-butts him, manages to fight out of her restraints and knocks him unconscious.

"M:i:III": When the bound Ethan's adversary gets too close to him, he bites him, manages to fight out of his restraints and knocks him unconscious.

The "Spies Pay No Attention to Dress Codes" Moment

"Alias": Sydney attends a black-tie event in a foreign country in a form-fitting red dress.

"M:i:III": One of Ethan's accomplices, Zhen (Maggie Q), attends a black-tie event in a foreign country in a form-fitting red dress.

The "Slow Talking Techno-Nerds Need Not Apply" Moment

"Alias": Marshall (Kevin Weisman) is a fast-talking nerd who helps Sydney carry out assignments.

"M:i:III": Benji (Simon Pegg) is a fast-talking computer nerd who helps Ethan carry out assignments.

Back
Top Bottom