Misheard lyrics - Yellow Ledbetter (hilarious!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:
:lol:

I don't know the real lyrics at all, so as far as I can see, those lyrics are right!

I was thinking the same thing! :lol:

There's another link out there for Evenflow that is hilarious!

unsealed on a porch a letter sat
then you said, i wanna leave it again
once i saw her on a beach of weathered sand
and on the sand i wanna leave it again yeah
on a weekend i wanna wish it all away yeah
and they called and i said that i want what i said
and then i call out again
and the reason oughta' leave her calm i know
i said i know what i wear not the boxer or the bag
ah yeah can you see them
out on the porch yeah but they don't wave
i see them round the front way yeah
and i know and i know i don't want to stay
make me cry
i see ooh i don't know why there's something else
i wanna go my own a-way
oh i said i don't i don't know whether i was the boxer or the bag
ah yeah can you see them
out on the porch yeah but they don't wave
but i see them round the front way yeah
and i know and i know i don't wanna stay at all
i don't wanna stay yeah
i don't wanna stay
i don't wanna stay
i don't don't wanna oh yeah ooh ohh

Yellow Ledbetter
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Yellow Ledbetter" is a song by the grunge band Pearl Jam. Although the song has never been released on one of their studio albums, it remains to this day one of their most popular songs, and is frequently performed at Pearl Jam concerts, generally as the last song of the concert.

"Yellow Ledbetter" was one of the first songs Pearl Jam wrote as a group,[1] however the song was not included on Pearl Jam's debut album Ten. It was selected by the band to be the second B-Side to the single record of the song "Jeremy",[2] which was where it first appeared. This same recording was included in the Pearl Jam compilation Rearviewmirror: Greatest Hits 1991-2003 and on the B-Side album Lost Dogs. A live version of "Yellow Ledbetter" was also included on the single for the song "Daughter."[3]

The song was written by band frontman Vedder and bassist Jeff Ament, as well as lead guitarist Mike McCready.[4] Mike McCready's guitar play in "Yellow Ledbetter" bears strong similarities the guitar style of Jimi Hendrix with the mimicking of Hendrix' "Little Wing" and "May This Be Love".

A snippet of the song was used in the final episode of the television series Friends. This marked the first time that Pearl Jam licensed a song for usage in a television show.[5]

[edit] Lyrical meaning
The song's name is derived from the actual name of an old friend of lead singer Eddie Vedder from Chicago, named Tim Ledbetter.[1] The lyrics of "Yellow Ledbetter" have proven undecipherable when heard live and even on the early recorded version, as Eddie Vedder mumbles through much of the song with only certain parts being heard prominently, such as the infamous line "I said, I don’t know whether I was the boxer or the bag", with these parts of the song heard on almost every live rendition of the song. There are many unofficial lyrics on various websites. It is because of the freeform nature of this song that allows Pearl Jam to easily improvise the song and change it around as they see fit when performing it live. During performances, McCready often lengthens the outro and the guitar solo and Vedder almost always changes the lyrics around, sticking with the same rhythm as the original recording.

Many fans have argued about the meaning of this song contained in the lyrics and have even questioned the existence of a central theme (although, one common theory is about someone receiving a letter and finding his brother had died overseas in war,[6] cited from the lyrics in the Live at the Garden version "I don't know whether my brother will be coming home in a box or a bag"). This makes the song unique as it has managed to become a staple favorite among fans of one of the most important bands of the 90s, and yet has no real lyrics or meaning that can be attached to the song.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom