Ministry live in Vancouver review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
<h1> October 1, 2004

<marquee> MINISTRY SAY "FUCK YOU GEORGE BUSH" LIVE AT THE COMMODORE VANCOUVER </marquee></h1>

It was like going to a Marilyn Manson concert without the kiddie wannabe's dressed in black. There was a divirsity in the crowd from goth/punk/metal heads/hells angels/and regular old school college kids who grew up with Mnistry since day 1.

The first opening band were "Hanzel und Gretyl". They were visually stimulating, however, I couldn't understand a word they were saying. Besides singing in German, the lead singer was growling like a grizzly bear a lot which made it difficult to enjoy the music (here's a concept, I like to hear the lyrics of a band, even if it's in another language).

The second openers were "My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult". Their performance was a bit weak. I was looking forward to the fire-breathers, mimes, horror movie images etc. none of which were presented during the band's 45 minute set. It was just the band singing the tunes. However, even though there was a lack of visual stimulation, the band still rocked with their set list choices. What I like about the Kult is that they didn't over sample like most industrial bands out there and they actually sounded awesome live.

at 10 PM, Ministry hit the stage. The theme of the night "Evil Doer" AKA: Anti- war/Anti Bush. A lot of the songs that were sung tonight were stuff from Ministry's previous and old catalouge having to do with anti-war. There were a lot of politically angry people in the mosh pit. Ministry are part of an organization called "Music For America" which educates people on the idiocies of George Bush amongst a few other things. Half way through the show, someone from "Music from America" made a 15 minute speach to the audience on how our own Prime Minister's participated in some dirty antics during the war on Iraq situation.

Minstry had a bit of a stage setting with a video screen in the background which depicted abstract anti-bush images.

I was really surprised by how awesome Ministry sounded live. Thank god I wore ear plugs :p, the bar glasses on the table were shaking, that's how rockin' the show was.

My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult :up:

Ministry :up:

New World Order is one rockin song.

very cool, i saw ministry last year and it was an amazing show. the club was only about half full, but the people there were all hardcore fans, as opposed to a manson show, which is typically a poseur-fest.

also, one of the LOUDEST shows i've seen. when they were soundchecking the drums before the show, the snare sounded like a machine gun and the bass sounded like a bomb. i could tell i was in for a good show :)

bollox said:
very cool, i saw ministry last year and it was an amazing show. the club was only about half full, but the people there were all hardcore fans, as opposed to a manson show, which is typically a poseur-fest.

I am a big manson fan but I do not go out of my way to make my make-up extra gothy or anything, I am just me. I see a lot of kinder goths there which annoys me. Ministry at the club were more genuine older fans.

One of the scariest moments of my life was one dark night in high school when I was FUBAR in a candlelit room and "Psalm 69" came on. :crazy:

Hello Angel - that's great. haven't heard the expression "FUBAR" in a looooong time. Psalm 69 is excellent. I saw Ministry many moons ago and the lasting image in my head from that show were 2 things.

1). Sepultura opened up and threw a drumstick into the first row. I saw the "victim" by the concesion stands later between sets bleeding profusly from his forehead. He seemed tickled pink that he had been the chosen one. lol

2. Ministry showed plenty of crazy images on the backdrop of the stage - most scarring? Micauley Culkin on a crucifix. Whoah !

Back
Top Bottom