Mind of Mencia VS Chapelle Show? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-12-2005, 07:50 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Calluna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Cloud Cookoo Land
Posts: 3,542
Local Time: 11:29 PM
Chapelle. No contest.
__________________

__________________
Calluna is offline  
Old 09-12-2005, 07:52 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Calluna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Cloud Cookoo Land
Posts: 3,542
Local Time: 11:29 PM
Of course, the real question ought to be Chapelle vs. D.L. Hughely with his new show 'Weekends on the DL' to which I would once again reply Chapelle, no contest.
__________________

__________________
Calluna is offline  
Old 09-12-2005, 08:38 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
DeadMansParty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: South Bay, Ca
Posts: 3,837
Local Time: 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230
Dane Cook rocks! He's got a new cd coming out.

Is anyone in here an Eddie Izzard fan?
hell ya, he rocks, I always love a straight transvestite, why do you think I like Carlos so much
__________________
DeadMansParty is offline  
Old 09-13-2005, 02:39 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
RedRocksU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murrieta, CA.
Posts: 26,437
Local Time: 11:29 PM
__________________
RedRocksU2 is offline  
Old 09-13-2005, 02:59 AM   #20
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!
 
Carek1230's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: wishing I was somewhere else....
Posts: 114,587
Local Time: 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DeadMansParty


hell ya, he rocks, I always love a straight transvestite, why do you think I like Carlos so much

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Now I get it! Hahahahaha

(you guys crack me up!)

bubbles, anyone?!!!

Cake or Death?
__________________
Carek1230 is offline  
Old 09-13-2005, 06:31 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
 
MsMofoGone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Where is not important...
Posts: 26,717
Local Time: 01:29 AM
__________________
MsMofoGone is offline  
Old 09-13-2005, 10:57 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
BluRmGrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Leather Heaven
Posts: 7,808
Local Time: 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Hero
Ignore them. Just because the majority doesn't like me doesn't make them right.
And just because you pick the opposing side in every argument doesn't make you right, either.
__________________
BluRmGrl is offline  
Old 09-13-2005, 11:11 AM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,457
Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
i don't like you either, remember?


headache, you like chris rock, don't you?
chris rock is the funniest man in america right now. hands down. and :gasp: he makes jokes about race, too.

people who use the old "if i said that joke i'd be called a racist" line worry me...

yes... chappelle has skits that deal with race... the "niggar" family, the race drafts, the black whtie supremecist, etc. but most of his satires, muck like rock, have to deal with blacks themselves. jon stewart pokes fun at the jewish religion quite often on his show... is he an anti-semite? of COURSE not.

all great comics are those who are willing to take riks... push the envelope... be it george carlin, richard pryor, robin williams, eddie murphy, jerry seinfeld or chris rock. dave chappelle is no different.

the blind black white supremicist skit from his very first show is absolute comic genius. it's not just some guy throwing out simple stereotypes and pretending they're funny... i.e. howard stern. this is satire at it's absolute finest.

and as for the statement that the only thing he can do is make comments about race...

the tyrone biggums skits, the r.kelly skit, samuel jackson beer, charlie murphy's true hollywood stories, a day in the life of lil' jon, the internet skit, making the band, kneehigh park, the oprah's pregnant skit and the wayne brady skit... all have absolutely nothing to do with race, and all are insanely funny... and those are just the ones that i can remember off the top of my head.

to say that dave chapelle is a racist is absolutely rediculous.



truely great comedy is no different than any other art form... the great ones are the ones that take risks rather than just play it safe. thus why a tv show like friends is simply funny, while seinfeld is legendary comic genius. play it safe vs. take risks. jay leno... play it safe. david letterman... take risks. in other art forms- paul mccartney... play it safe. john lennon... take risks.

some people prefer the play it safe brand of humor. and frankly there's nothing wrong with that. i, for one, do not.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 09-13-2005, 02:10 PM   #24
War Child
 
Sparkysgrrrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: under the table and screaming
Posts: 754
Local Time: 10:29 PM
Yeah, what Headache said. I don't get tired of Chappelle, I've loved him for years.

Quote:
the blind black white supremicist skit from his very first show is absolute comic genius.
I show this to everyone I get a chance too, they just die everytime. Never seen anything like it.

And this just needs to be stated again -
Quote:
people who use the old "if i said that joke i'd be called a racist" line worry me...
__________________
Sparkysgrrrl is offline  
Old 09-13-2005, 06:42 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Carmelu2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: LOST
Posts: 8,295
Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DeadMansParty
Ive personally never found race comedy very funny, these two comedians only use that, and it gets very old. I wish Dane Cook, nick swardson, or (rip) mitch hedburg had a show, now thats funny stuff. Creative.
agreed
__________________
Carmelu2fan is offline  
Old 09-13-2005, 07:09 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,505
Local Time: 02:29 AM
Quote:


some people prefer the play it safe brand of humor. and frankly there's nothing wrong with that. i, for one, do not.

i wouldn't say i like "safe" humor and that's my problem. i just don't buy into what i see as an attempt at trying to shock me. and every time i see one of these guys on tv, they're telling the same stupid jokes over and over.
__________________
IWasBored is offline  
Old 09-13-2005, 09:10 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
elevation2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: corner of Badlands & Magnolia Mountain
Posts: 5,371
Local Time: 10:29 PM
i dont buy the whole "taking risks" all too well, personally i enjoy bizarre humor and one that doesn't exactly "play it safe" but that doesnt mean i have to worship either chapelle or mencia or chris rock or george lopez, though i have had a good laugh from each of them. but when they keep in the same line of jokes and it all becomes extremely repetitive they need to stop "playing it safe" and start taking risks once again.

i guess i will have to stick to live stand up such as LA's Laugh Factory where not-yet-famous hilarious comedians do take risks cause they have no set-wide audience to lose.
"chocolate sunday", "asian invasion", "latino night" ahhhhhhhhh, great nights.
__________________
elevation2u is offline  
Old 09-13-2005, 10:38 PM   #28
Refugee
 
She Is Raging's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Outside Boston
Posts: 1,729
Local Time: 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase


samuel jackson beer

One of my all time favorite skits ever.

How's it taste motherfucka?
__________________
She Is Raging is offline  
Old 09-13-2005, 11:04 PM   #29
Refugee
Note: Troll-like
 
Palace_Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Posts: 2,098
Local Time: 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BluRmGrl


And just because you pick the opposing side in every argument doesn't make you right, either.
If I picked the opposing side I'd defend Mencia, silly. Now where's that box smilie?
__________________
Palace_Hero is offline  
Old 09-13-2005, 11:06 PM   #30
Refugee
Note: Troll-like
 
Palace_Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Posts: 2,098
Local Time: 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase


chris rock is the funniest man in america right now. hands down. and :gasp: he makes jokes about race, too.

people who use the old "if i said that joke i'd be called a racist" line worry me...

yes... chappelle has skits that deal with race... the "niggar" family, the race drafts, the black whtie supremecist, etc. but most of his satires, muck like rock, have to deal with blacks themselves. jon stewart pokes fun at the jewish religion quite often on his show... is he an anti-semite? of COURSE not.

all great comics are those who are willing to take riks... push the envelope... be it george carlin, richard pryor, robin williams, eddie murphy, jerry seinfeld or chris rock. dave chappelle is no different.

the blind black white supremicist skit from his very first show is absolute comic genius. it's not just some guy throwing out simple stereotypes and pretending they're funny... i.e. howard stern. this is satire at it's absolute finest.

and as for the statement that the only thing he can do is make comments about race...

the tyrone biggums skits, the r.kelly skit, samuel jackson beer, charlie murphy's true hollywood stories, a day in the life of lil' jon, the internet skit, making the band, kneehigh park, the oprah's pregnant skit and the wayne brady skit... all have absolutely nothing to do with race, and all are insanely funny... and those are just the ones that i can remember off the top of my head.

to say that dave chapelle is a racist is absolutely rediculous.



truely great comedy is no different than any other art form... the great ones are the ones that take risks rather than just play it safe. thus why a tv show like friends is simply funny, while seinfeld is legendary comic genius. play it safe vs. take risks. jay leno... play it safe. david letterman... take risks. in other art forms- paul mccartney... play it safe. john lennon... take risks.

some people prefer the play it safe brand of humor. and frankly there's nothing wrong with that. i, for one, do not.
Yeah but Chris Rock is funny, whereas Chappelle is mildy so, hence hes the racist of the two.

Like Billy Connnolly says, it isn't offensive if you can laugh at it, and I don't laugh at DC.
__________________

__________________
Palace_Hero is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com