Million Dollar Baby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want to see it so so badly - I'm a great fan of good old Clint. :wink:

Hillary Swank is an incredible actress, too.

Ant.

What's really great about it is that today, there is a tendency for filmmakers to make movies that are different just for the sake of being different. In this movie, you get no gimmicks, you get no artsy-fartsy plotlines, 56 characters you can't distinguish, plotlines that intersect 98 times or jumping timelines. All you get is a simple story about people and who they are and who they want to be and how they get there with each others' help, and what it means to live and die with dignity.

ladywithspinninghead said:
I want to see it, if that counts for anything, lol!

I think it counts. :wink:

I'm one of the many who wants to see it, but won't get to until it goes into wide release. But several sites are saying that's January 21st. :hyper:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
My Dad saw it and told me how it ended. :mad:

Aw, that sucks, because really, the entire movie enjoyment, IMO, is shot to hell if you know how it ends.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Only I'm allowed to call my dad an asshole, thanks.

Just saying 'no offense' doesn't cut it, huh? :wink:

Sorry, I am just a huge movie fan and that is seriously crossing the line with me.

The ad says the movie "wraps itself around your soul and doesn't let go"

I've never seen a hint of the demonic possession plotline in the ads.....

:wink:

did you see the movie?

there are some dark parts and some scenes in a church

this film has caused controversy

you could say it has an agenda

deep said:
did you see the movie?

I'm not sure it has an agenda. Don't give anything away, but I think it has to do more with a personal choice. Not sure if it advocates anything one way or another.

I hope no one responds to this in a way that gives anything away. Dammit people, go see the movie, so I can talk freely. :wink:

I can see why it's controversial.

To me, the choice that is made is reflective of a person who has come to the point in their life where they have found what they've been looking for, and now they're forced with having to let it go. And the inner battle between what you want and what the person you love wants. And the grace and dignity in which you go about making that choice.

I wish we could talk spoilers. There's such a good line Clint speaks in the church that's in the theatrical trailer anyway, but I don't want to use it here if it will spoil it for people.

anitram said:
I can see why it's controversial.

To me, the choice that is made is reflective of a person who has come to the point in their life where they have found what they've been looking for, and now they're forced with having to let it go. And the inner battle between what you want and what the person you love wants. And the grace and dignity in which you go about making that choice.

I wish we could talk spoilers. There's such a good line Clint speaks in the church that's in the theatrical trailer anyway, but I don't want to use it here if it will spoil it for people.

Very good summary. That is exactly why there does not seem to be an agenda, it was too situational and personal for the characters.

deep said:
did you see the movie?

Tried to see it last night, but got called into the office.

Unfortunately, I am aware of the controversy in the film. I would have preferred to discover that part of the story during the movie, not as part of some headline.

I still plan on seeing it.

I loved it, and I never saw it as having an "agenda". I thought it was all about what the Morgan Freeman character told Clint's character about what he did for her, and how so many people die w/ out that.

For me it's just a lovely story about what one person can do for someone else to change their life(and how that can change both lives) - that has nothing to do w/ what happens at the end.

I just saw this the other night and had to comment.

bsp77 said:
That is exactly why there does not seem to be an agenda, it was too situational and personal for the characters.

I agree with you bsp77. I think the choice that Clint's character makes is his way of redeeming himself for his 'sins' of the past. There's more I could say, but not without giving too much away.
Everyone must see this movie!

My reaction was kinda mixed. Outstanding acting from the leads, some very powerful scenes, but did anyone else find that some of the supporting characters might as well have had "I'M EEEEVIL" signs stuck on them? And a few little things about the story and the way it was presented felt contrived. I usually overlook these when a film doesn't pretend to be anything but a Hollywood concoction, but when it obviously goes for "real & gritty" they just stick out.

Back
Top Bottom