Mika - Life in Cartoon Motion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownEyedBoy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I heard "Grace Kelly" from him and I'm not sure if I like him just yet. I was listening to the samples available at amazon and I just wanted to know if it was worth getting this album. He reminds a little of what Queen used to do.

Have any of you guys heard his stuff? What do you think?

I really enjoy the album despite a lot of mediocre reviews. It's fun. It's Scissor Sisters-meets-Queen-meets-Rufus Wainwright, though lacking the lyricism of any of them, especially the latter. It's disposable bubblegum pop for the most part, though there are interesting moments, like "Billy Brown." 3.5 out of 5 stars.

BrownEyedBoy said:
He reminds a little of what Queen used to do.

He's got a bit of a Freddie-thing happening in that song :drool: I know nothing about him, but he can magically turn a cold and grumpy morning around in an instant. I wonder if Queen have heard him?

I've heard enough from him to want to pick up the album. I'm not expecting anything of substance, but it seems like a lot of silly fun.

Mika or whatever seems a bit like ScissorSisters-lite.

Scissor Sisters are too "out there" and "homosexual" for the mainstream, so Mika serves to sanitise and dumb-down this trend of popular music.

Might be one way of looking at the Mika phenomenon...

I've heard that Brian May is a big admirer and in the article I've read he said that Mika reminded him of Freddie a lot. Apparently he also got really flustered when some journalist gave Mika a scathing 1-star review; Brian called him a wanker, :)

I've got 'Life in Cartoon Motion' and it's the most shamelessly fun album I've heard this year; short on substance but great if you want to listen to bright silly pop once in a while.

intedomine said:
Mika or whatever seems a bit like ScissorSisters-lite.

Scissor Sisters are too "out there" and "homosexual" for the mainstream, so Mika serves to sanitise and dumb-down this trend of popular music.

Might be one way of looking at the Mika phenomenon...

i don't know, when the first verse of "Billy Brown" is about falling in love with another man, I don't think it's that much more sanitized.

that said, give me Scissor Sisters over Mika any day. Ta-Dah was such an effing brilliant follow-up. Light years beyond the debut, which was already uber-fabulous.

I was going to make a thread on this band, but figured nobody would have heard of Mika :lol: I adore Grace Kelly. It's beautiful. At the Boys & Girls Club, a women who works there plays Mika a lot, so that's how I heard of it. We love to talk to eachother about music, since we have a lot in common. She told me how Mika has the definite Queen influence, and I could tell right away. I really need to download Grace Kelly :yes:

I also like Lollipop, Love Today, Big Girl (You Are Beautiful), and the acoustic version of Grace Kelly :)

Last edited:
great record, I'm loving it, I just got it

love the playful tunes and the interesting, powerful voice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom