Midnight Oil Dance & Bed Burning Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timothius

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Arguably Australia's Greatest Band. Full stop.

Everyone knows Beds Are Burning... but that is barely scratching the surface of this quintet.

Lead by charasmatic front-man Peter Garrett (or simply "Pete" said in a deep voice) Midnight Oil released 13 albums and played thousands of shows from the mid-70's to early 2002.

Some of the songs you may know are:

Blue Sky Mining
Power & The Passion
The Dead Heart
King Of The Mountain
Dreamworld
I Don't Wanna Be The One
Outbreak Of Love
US Forces
Read About It
Best Of Both Worlds
Redneck Wonderland

Yes, Midnight Oil were a political band, with most lyrics promoting or denouncing a movement of some description - but it is done well, with passion, with vigor.

For me personally Midnight Oil have produced my favourite front man of all time - Peter Garett, my favourite guitarist of all time - Jim Moginie, favourite living drummer Rob Hirst and two of my favourite albums of all time... Earth, Sun & Moon... & Blue Sky Mining. I only was able to see them perform once... but it will stand as one of the musical highlights of my life.

petergarrett3_gallery__550x367.jpg

:bow:

I will post mp3's later if they are wanted.

You know I
1.gif
the band (and you as well timothius :wink: )

Saw them several times, both in the 80s & 90s (I think). Saw them in October of 2001 (post-9/11) and we knew we were in for something special. Hey, I wonder if that recording is out there somewhere. Perhaps tim does... HELP a fellow fan out!

If you are not familiar with them, definitely check out 'BLUE SKY MINING'

3.gif

I love what I know of Midnight Oil, which is admittedly not much. They do seem like quite an exceptional band, though!

ysi has been slow today for me. 3 hours for a 131,000kb videoclip... trying for a 45k at the moment

back to ...guess god thinks I'm abel...

Hubby says:

Here's my favorite Oil live memory. Lila says you would like to hear it. Beds are Burning had just been released as the single for that album. We got the single in at the record store and it had a song on the B side called Hercules. Became an immediate favorite of mine and was not included on the LP(Of course you know this). They toured here eventually, we had pretty good seats and they opened with King of the mountain. Another great show later they come out for the encore, Peter says something, probably political of course, and then I hear the opening notes of Hercules. I could'nt believe it. When they get to the middle sorta instrumental break, Peter climbs up the scaffolding that I think was part of their stage set, and gets high enough when I start thinking that he isn't gonna have time to get down for the part where he comes back in. The other guys are singing"This is something I will remember" while looking over their shoulders to see what the hell Peter was doing. Probably wondering what they were gonna do, because it was obvious to them (and me and probably a few others) that someone is gonna sing his part. Suddenly from about 10-15 feet up he takes a dive for the floor, lands in a heap, sommersaults I believe, gets hold of a mike and in almost perfect timing "Why wait for the planes to come, when everybodys got you on the run.............. Awesome At least that's the way I remember it, I could be wrong. Legal protection

timothius said:
I still have 20,000 Watt RSL sitting in Winzip format for you Axver... YSI keeps kicking it half way through. :grumpy:. I'll try again tonight.

:setsfiretobed:

Thanks heaps for trying! I wish YSI weren't such a pain! Hmm ... my Gmail account has space if you can send that way, but it seems most e-mail accounts/clients don't let you send more than 10MB at once. Seems rather pointless to have a couple of gigs of space if other people can only send you 10MB at once ...

My favourite Oils moment is the concert at Goat Island in the middle of Sydney Harbour, a gig they did for radio station JJ sometime around 85, methinks. They showed it in full on the programme Rock Arena.

Pete climbs the scaffolding and waves to a tanker floating on past. Cool! :up:

Lila64 said:
Hubby says:

Here's my favorite Oil live memory. Lila says you would like to hear it. Beds are Burning had just been released as the single for that album. We got the single in at the record store and it had a song on the B side called Hercules. Became an immediate favorite of mine and was not included on the LP(Of course you know this). They toured here eventually, we had pretty good seats and they opened with King of the mountain. Another great show later they come out for the encore, Peter says something, probably political of course, and then I hear the opening notes of Hercules. I could'nt believe it. When they get to the middle sorta instrumental break, Peter climbs up the scaffolding that I think was part of their stage set, and gets high enough when I start thinking that he isn't gonna have time to get down for the part where he comes back in. The other guys are singing"This is something I will remember" while looking over their shoulders to see what the hell Peter was doing. Probably wondering what they were gonna do, because it was obvious to them (and me and probably a few others) that someone is gonna sing his part. Suddenly from about 10-15 feet up he takes a dive for the floor, lands in a heap, sommersaults I believe, gets hold of a mike and in almost perfect timing "Why wait for the planes to come, when everybodys got you on the run.............. Awesome At least that's the way I remember it, I could be wrong. Legal protection

Thats so wicked! I can only imagine what they were like in their hay-day... I only saw them this year... still the most insane set of music I've ever seen.

Pete is the epitome of all front men. Charasmatic, unique voice, passionate, well-spoken, entertaining, 100% engaging... & damn can he dance.

Thanks so much for sharing.

blueeyedgirl said:
My favourite Oils moment is the concert at Goat Island in the middle of Sydney Harbour, a gig they did for radio station JJ sometime around 85, methinks. They showed it in full on the programme Rock Arena.

Oils on the Water is my favourite live album hands down (outside of Finnage). That gig is awesome in so many ways, particularly the interaction with the audience, who are a perfect representation of mid-80's society.

During Stand In Line at the end there is the most hillarious dance with Pete & some guy with glasses from the crowd... the first time I saw it my eyes were watering! :dance:

I know a few of their songs...yeah, they're not bad :). First introduction to them was through "Beds Are Burning"-my dad played that song every so often whenever we'd be listening to music :).

I heard "Forgotten Years"...last night or the other night, one of the two, and it sounded particularly good right then :).

Australia had a nice little run of bands in the 80s, didn't they? :D.

Angela

INXS? or was that New Zealand? I get the two confused, you know us Americans :crazy:

:wink:

oh, and I believe hubby saw Hunters & Collectors as well

Lila64 said:
INXS? or was that New Zealand? I get the two confused, you know us Americans :crazy:

oh, and I believe hubby saw Hunters & Collectors as well

You have just payed INXS the ultimate compliment. :wink:

I love the degrees of seperation in 1980's antipodean music... i.e

Mark Seymour songwriter for Hunters & Collectors, brother of Nick Seymour bassist for Crowded House with Paul Hester who was the drummer in Split Enz with Tim Finn wrote in Split Enz with Phil Judd lead singer for The Swingers whose bassist was Bones Hillman better known for his exploits in Midnight Oil with Jim Moginie who co-wrote half the tracks on Neil Finn's first solo album. :)

:huh: What's the matter with you, poor boy. I don't know but that's a hard act to follow. I think I see red! Maybe I should go back to counting out time or something else, maybe writing a message to my girl :eyebrow:

dammit, my head hurts! Sometimes that's the cause of my short memory. This thread is for only the strong. Then I can read about it later along with the forgotten years. By the way, are the US Forces the King of the Mountain, or is that Hercules, the one whose bed is burning or is he the one with the dead heart? Oh well, back to my dreamworld...

how's that? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom