Midnight Oil Break Up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batesmotel

Babyface
After 25 years -- Peter Garrett has decided to leave Midnight Oil to give time for his political concerns.

see www.midnightoil.com for more info.

I am a huge fan, and this is sad yet very satisfying news. I've followed the Oils for the last 10 years and I have to say that they got out when they were in top, top form. A brilliant last album "Capricornia" and a brilliant last tour. Their reputation was never tarnished and the consistancy of there message was there throughout the last 25 years. A big congratulations. There are a number of similarities between the oils and U2. Both started around the same time, both have politically very active front-men.

I wonder if Bono will follow Garrett in the near future.

Any thoughts??

Midnight Oil Break Up

In the 2nd last oils gig, they played a show which sequentially went through each album and played 2 songs from each album. What a set-list it was!
U2 should definitly do this. It would make an awsome show.

1. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
2. I Will Follow
3. Gloria
4. A Celebration (not on October I know)
5. New Year's Day
6. Sunday Bloody Sunday
7. Bad
8. Pride
9. Streets
10. With Or Without You
11. All I Want Is You
12. Angel Of Harlem
12. Mysterious Ways
13. One
14. Stay
15. Lemon
16. Hold Me, Thrill Me
17. Gone
18. Please
19. Beutiful Day
20. Walk On

Pretty Cool Show huh!

I was sad and pleased when I heard this on the news this afternoon, you summed it up pretty well.
If U2 follow the same path, I think it would be the same again. It'd be a shame indeed, but the reasons would be the same for Bono. Convictions like they both have is a strong thing, you cant really argue it!

I think the comparison ends in that Bono probably (and perhaps even sadly enough) can achieve more politically (on a global scale) when being in one of the worlds most acclaimed bands than when he'd quit the band
I don't think it's the exact same situation

too bad though, good band what I've heard about/from them

I am really sad about this. I just found out. It's true that they are going out on a very high note, but it's still sad. Capricornia was a classic record--it should have been recognized on a par with ATYCLB rather than selling a paltry number of copies like I'm sure it did. At least I got to see them once. Only once! In May. They actually played two shows in Vancouver and now I wish even more that I'd gone to both. It was such a brilliant show. I would have to say it was the best concert I've been to. I was so looking forward to seeing them again at some unknown point in the future :( I was a fan before, for quite a few years, actually, but I owned less than half the albums. After seeing them live I went out and bought all the others and realized that some of the stuff I didn't know at all was just as good, if not better, than the well-known stuff. They are that kind of bad.

Congratulations on a great career, Peter and Midnight Oil...and please, considering regrouping at some point??

:(

Back
Top Bottom