Middle Intercourse Island superthread - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #526
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

In my ignorance, all I know about absinthe is that it's some strong shit.
Pretty much all you need to know. It supposedly has hallucinogenic qualities due to some ingredients (wormword, thujone chemical). That's exaggerated plenty, but it does give a rather unique intoxication experience. The stuff I have is 70%/140 proof. The first time I ever drank absinthe, I thought I'd never get a cold again, such was the strength as it went down my throat! Actually, I wasn't even sure if I still had a throat. It's probably my favourite of the anise drinks - Ouzo straight out gives me headaches, sambucca is tasty and readily available, although a little on the girly side, but nobody messes with you when you're sipping absinthe. That's 100% Parisian bohemia.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:49 AM   #527
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk

Pretty much all you need to know. It supposedly has hallucinogenic qualities due to some ingredients (wormword, thujone chemical). That's exaggerated plenty, but it does give a rather unique intoxication experience. The stuff I have is 70%/140 proof. The first time I ever drank absinthe, I thought I'd never get a cold again, such was the strength as it went down my throat! Actually, I wasn't even sure if I still had a throat. It's probably my favourite of the anise drinks - Ouzo straight out gives me headaches, sambucca is tasty and readily available, although a little on the girly side, but nobody messes with you when you're sipping absinthe. That's 100% Parisian bohemia.
Sounds ... interesting. Very interesting. I can't decide if I want to try it or not.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #528
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:51 AM
Quote:

Sounds ... interesting. Very interesting. I can't decide if I want to try it or not.
It's also still illegal in some countries, due to absinthe drinkers having a violent reputation in the late 19th/early 20th centuries. Just as it's increasingly difficult to get maggots in tequila or mezcal today, the amount of thujone is limited in certain countries.

Worth a try, but if you've never tried straight spirits before, or only in small amounts, it might put you off for good. It's usually drank in a traditional manner involving sugar cubes, but generally you'll only get served a shot of it at most pubs. I advise to drink it slow, but no matter how quickly, you're still going to feel it.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #529
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
It's also still illegal in some countries, due to absinthe drinkers having a violent reputation in the late 19th/early 20th centuries. Just as it's increasingly difficult to get maggots in tequila or mezcal today, the amount of thujone is limited in certain countries.

Worth a try, but if you've never tried straight spirits before, or only in small amounts, it might put you off for good. It's usually drank in a traditional manner involving sugar cubes, but generally you'll only get served a shot of it at most pubs. I advise to drink it slow, but no matter how quickly, you're still going to feel it.
Oh, yeah, that's the other thing I've heard about absinthe, its illegality. Certainly gives it a mystique. And, uh, "maggots in tequila or mezcal"?!

Due to my considerable inexperience with alcohol beyond wine, I think I should ease myself into spirits!

In fact, if I remember in a past thread, we delegated you with the task of introducing me to good non-wine alcohol when you make your way to Melbourne. I can return the favour if we can find somewhere that has good Kiwi wine. Not that I expect to find any Ata Rangi pinot noir here.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #530
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:21 PM
Back from religion hour.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #531
Blue Crack Supplier

Listening to the end of Axver's list now.

Five minutes in, The Very Last Day is very good.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #532
Blue Crack Supplier

Where did people go?
Old 04-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #533
Vocal parasite

Hey Pee Fan, I'm here.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #534
Blue Crack Supplier

So, yeah, I think your list only has three kill-songs: 19, 21, 23.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #535
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Listening to the end of Axver's list now.

Five minutes in, The Very Last Day is very good.
Yeah, after you said you liked Suicide By Star, I knew you'd enjoy that one.

I used Fire In The Mountain by Long Distance Calling in the Symphonic Island game. It's my favourite song by them, just ahead of The Very Last Day.

I love the DMNSTRTN EP, but their album Satellite Bay was a big letdown. The DMNSTRTN songs are re-recorded and aren't as good.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #536
Vocal parasite

Quote:
So, yeah, I think your list only has three kill-songs: 19, 21, 23.
And 7?

I expect 16-17 to lose people purely because it's a long instrumental stretch.

23, incidentally, is I think the most important song there. As I advised, pay attention at the very, very end. The conclusion of the sample is central to my entire playlist.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #537
Blue Crack Supplier

Didn't really understand the point of the global warming things, I think a full instrumental would have been better. Still good, though.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #538
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

And 7?

I expect 16-17 to lose people purely because it's a long instrumental stretch.

23, incidentally, is I think the most important song there. As I advised, pay attention at the very, very end. The conclusion of the sample is central to my entire playlist.
I'm 3:30 into it now, I'll look out for it.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #539
Blue Crack Supplier

On 19 and 23, I don't mind the music. It's the growling.

21 I really didn't like at all, though.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #540
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Didn't really understand the point of the global warming things, I think a full instrumental would have been better. Still good, though.
I think it at least works with my concept. Think of it metaphorically, of the world being drowned to the person lost in mental oblivion.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread