Middle Intercourse Island superthread - Page 34 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2008, 08:34 AM   #496
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk

Ah, fuck the Beatles. Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em, fuck 'em, fuck 'em. Buncha Liverpudlian wankers that sang like goats.

on PFan's LSD choice. At least it wasn't All You Need is Love.

I'm sure you're spot on with the last paragraph. Obviously, he was reading a lot of good stuff in the 80s and most of the 90s also. When there's that influence, people will probably write better, or at least have more of a crack at it. Supposedly he still reads, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're just different translations of the apparent holy books, because whatever he's reading isn't doing anything for his lyrics. Or he's become illiterate.
You're awesome. I cannot at all comprehend why people praise the Beatles for their singing and vocal melodies and whatnot. I find their vocals to be truly some of the worst I've ever heard.

Back in the late eighties and early nineties, not only was Bono reading classic literature written by people with incredible commands of the English language, but he was even going as far as snippeting W. B. Yeats during Love Is Blindness and William Wordsworth and Jack Kerouac during Streets! Those days are long gone. It seems the best we can do for literary snippets are quotes written by a bunch of Middle Eastern shepherds, namely the Psalms. Come on, Bono, you can do better than that. Pick up some Dostoevsky or something, please.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 08:35 AM   #497
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Need to go to mass.

I'll check it out.

Did Khan review mine?
Not that I recall.

Right now, instead of doing essays, I'm putting together the most inaccessible tracklist I can.

Maybe I should title it Inaccessible Island in honour of the postwhorehouse's former home?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #498
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:41 AM
Thoughts:

- I have AIM 5.9 too.

- You share similar thoughts on Screwtape's list, although I thought less of the song quality on disc 2. It had atmosphere, but little else from that, IMO, so I gave Disc 2 a C, whereas Disc 1 was an A.

- I don't like Kate Bush. That song was the lowpoint of his playlist, IMO.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #499
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

You're awesome. I cannot at all comprehend why people praise the Beatles for their singing and vocal melodies and whatnot. I find their vocals to be truly some of the worst I've ever heard.

Back in the late eighties and early nineties, not only was Bono reading classic literature written by people with incredible commands of the English language, but he was even going as far as snippeting W. B. Yeats during Love Is Blindness and William Wordsworth and Jack Kerouac during Streets! Those days are long gone. It seems the best we can do for literary snippets are quotes written by a bunch of Middle Eastern shepherds, namely the Psalms. Come on, Bono, you can do better than that. Pick up some Dostoevsky or something, please.
I'm impressed I can find someone on a U2 forum that can agree with me on the Beatles to that extent. I certainly don't think they were terrible, just overrated, the Sacred Cow of popular music.

Irish writing has had an incredibly proud and decisive influence on modern literature. Why won't Bono quote Yeats anymore? Or anyone of actual worth, rather than some thousands-year old Jews that probably weren't aware of the plague that they were starting? Sometimes I wish Bono considered the secular members of the crowd...
Old 04-06-2008, 08:41 AM   #500
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Maybe I should title it Inaccessible Island in honour of the postwhorehouse's former home?
I see no reason why not to.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #501
Blue Crack Addict

i have an intense dislike of the beatles also , john lennon post beatles has some appeal, but fucking yoko ono.. oh god.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #502
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Thoughts:

- I have AIM 5.9 too.

- You share similar thoughts on Screwtape's list, although I thought less of the song quality on disc 2. It had atmosphere, but little else from that, IMO, so I gave Disc 2 a C, whereas Disc 1 was an A.

- I don't like Kate Bush. That song was the lowpoint of his playlist, IMO.
See, I felt that while the music on Disc 2 was not necessarily my thing, it really evoked soundscapes and mental images, worked very well together, and achieved its purpose.

I enjoyed the Kate Bush song mostly, but whatever the hell it is that's sampled around 2:30-3:00 is awful, and repeating it ad nauseum nearly ruins the whole song.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 08:44 AM   #503
Blue Crack Supplier

The laughing thing? Oh my God, that was beyond bad.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:44 AM   #504
Blue Crack Supplier

Alright, religion time.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:47 AM   #505
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
I'm impressed I can find someone on a U2 forum that can agree with me on the Beatles to that extent. I certainly don't think they were terrible, just overrated, the Sacred Cow of popular music.

Irish writing has had an incredibly proud and decisive influence on modern literature. Why won't Bono quote Yeats anymore? Or anyone of actual worth, rather than some thousands-year old Jews that probably weren't aware of the plague that they were starting? Sometimes I wish Bono considered the secular members of the crowd...
I've often been asked "you like U2 and Crowded House, so how can you possibly dislike the Beatles?" Well, here's the crucial thing: I like Bono and Neil Finn's voices, but I cannot stand the Beatles' vocals. Plus, I just don't think the Beatles wrote very good or interesting songs. Some of them feel quite disjointed and poorly composed, really. Lucy In The Sky and Help are two that come to mind immediately.

And yeah, they are way too much of a sacred cow. I don't think any band should ever be put on such a pedestal. You get the impression from some hyperbole that they are the be-all and end-all of music and just about invented it. Well, as a fan of The Shadows ... what a pile of codswallop! Hank Marvin did more for music than the Beatles ever did, or at least in terms of the guitar. Hank Marvin completely revolutionised the guitar and deserves so much more recognition than he gets. I consider him easily the greatest guitarist of all time.

And I agree on the literature count. Bono seemed so passionate about Irish literature at one point. I think it's pretty clear Wild Irish Rose owes a debt to that enthusiasm. Now? All I can do is sit back and count the kneels.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 08:48 AM   #506
Vocal parasite

Quote:
The laughing thing? Oh my God, that was beyond bad.
Yeah, and with the birds twittering. I just about wanted to skip the song at that, especially as IT KEPT GOING.

But then the song improved.

See you later!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 08:50 AM   #507
Blue Crack Addict

anyway byeee all,
Old 04-06-2008, 08:50 AM   #508
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by mysterious_jen
i have an intense dislike of the beatles also , john lennon post beatles has some appeal, but fucking yoko ono.. oh god.

My favourite Beatle will always be Ringo Starr. Guess why. Yep, Thomas The Tank Engine. I don't really think of Ringo as a Beatle, really. He is forever The Guy Who Narrated Thomas to me. He was the definitive Thomas narrator and the episodes without him just don't seem right.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 08:53 AM   #509
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by mysterious_jen
anyway byeee all,
Have a good one!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 08:53 AM   #510
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I've often been asked "you like U2 and Crowded House, so how can you possibly dislike the Beatles?" Well, here's the crucial thing: I like Bono and Neil Finn's voices, but I cannot stand the Beatles' vocals. Plus, I just don't think the Beatles wrote very good or interesting songs. Some of them feel quite disjointed and poorly composed, really. Lucy In The Sky and Help are two that come to mind immediately.

And yeah, they are way too much of a sacred cow. I don't think any band should ever be put on such a pedestal. You get the impression from some hyperbole that they are the be-all and end-all of music and just about invented it. Well, as a fan of The Shadows ... what a pile of codswallop! Hank Marvin did more for music than the Beatles ever did, or at least in terms of the guitar. Hank Marvin completely revolutionised the guitar and deserves so much more recognition than he gets. I consider him easily the greatest guitarist of all time.

And I agree on the literature count. Bono seemed so passionate about Irish literature at one point. I think it's pretty clear Wild Irish Rose owes a debt to that enthusiasm. Now? All I can do is sit back and count the kneels.

(c) bono

Tags
superthread