Middle Intercourse Island superthread - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2008, 06:25 AM   #436
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:17 AM
Let's see how big a list I can make here.

Kinda Crappy Porcupine Tree Songs From 1993 To The Present

- How Is Your Life Today (Lightbulb Sun, 2000)
- Access Denied (Recordings, 2001)

I'm also not keen on Lips Of Ashes from In Absentia, but I wouldn't go so far to call it "kinda crappy".

There are songs I don't really listen to, like a couple of pretty ambient tracks on Signify, but again, they aren't "kinda crappy". I just need to be in the right mood.

Bloody hell, two is the best I can do? Guess I am a fanlad then ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 06:26 AM   #437
Vocal parasite

OK, Supper's Ready has been controversial in all previous reviews of Screwtape's tracklist. I actually found the first 9:30 or so to be the most enjoyable music I've heard from Genesis. In other words, it's a good song by Genesis's standards; a bad song by the prog genre's standard.

But now it's changed into something less enjoyable ... let's see how this goes. Brave inclusion, for sure.

Edit: Oh non-existent Lord, this stuff around 12:45 is why I think Genesis makes a joke of prog.

Edit II: Not a bad instrumental passage around 18:30. And ha, "666 is the mark of the Lord", I like it.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 06:33 AM   #438
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I've never even heard of RRR, but it sounds uncomfortably like a network run by Peterrrrr!
Whatttttt!!!!!! Youth of today!

OK this a quick intercourse for me, gotta run, but really Ax, go listen to some community radio, 3RRR is the most famous, unis sometimes have a station and the stations are always looking for volunteers And you can be a total dictator on your shift and play whatever you want....

*former student radio announcer *
Old 04-06-2008, 06:34 AM   #439
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

Oh gawd. ...

There's a lot of jazz and other non-mainstream stuff that goes on there, I think... never really listened to it, myself... TripleJ's as alternative as I get
I don't listen to radio at all. I think the last time I turned on the radio willingly would've been in about 2002 or so. I remember I used to enjoy listening to the radio around 1993-99 ...

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 06:36 AM   #440
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl

Whatttttt!!!!!! Youth of today!

OK this a quick intercourse for me, gotta run, but really Ax, go listen to some community radio, 3RRR is the most famous, unis sometimes have a station and the stations are always looking for volunteers And you can be a total dictator on your shift and play whatever you want....

*former student radio announcer *
I did once look up to see if Melbourne University has a radio station, but I didn't find anything. It would be tremendous fun and I know it'd be something I'd enjoy doing. Not so sure how many people would enjoy listening to my show though ...

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 06:38 AM   #441
Vocal parasite

Wow, the ~23 minutes of Supper's Ready disappeared pretty quickly. I'd say that it absolutely flogs everything on The Lamb Lies Down and Selling England By The Pound. It's by no means the best prog song on earth, but I didn't find it objectionable and it works on the playlist.

Now onto Screwtape's second disc ...

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 06:38 AM   #442
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I did once look up to see if Melbourne University has a radio station, but I didn't find anything. It would be tremendous fun and I know it'd be something I'd enjoy doing. Not so sure how many people would enjoy listening to my show though ...
I'm sure there's a 3.00 am slot just perfect for prog rock...
Old 04-06-2008, 06:40 AM   #443
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

A quick google found me this Somewhere you should find a home....

Well that's my 3 posts for the thread!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:43 AM   #444
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I'm sure there's a 3.00 am slot just perfect for prog rock...

Knowing prog nerd sleeping habits, that's probably prime time for all five of them to tune in too.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 06:43 AM   #445
Vocal parasite

Quote:
A quick google found me this Somewhere you should find a home....

Well that's my 3 posts for the thread!
Thanks, will have a look through it.

Have a good one!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 06:49 AM   #446
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
http://web.mac.com/phanan/DesertIsla...Island_IV.html
I did know you were talking about Desert Island stuff... I just haven't felt inclined to check it out yet (also, too lazy) ...

Quote:
I wasn't doing that! Screwtape's playlist includes the Extended Dance Mix of Lady With The Spinning Head, which unless I've been grossly mistaken for over five years is a U2 track! I was listening to that and wishing that present day U2 still sounded that good.

So your point, although good, is moot.
Perhaps in this specific instance it's moot, but it's an underlying theme of your "why can't U2 do things like this other band does" ... stuff.
And I dunno if comparing present-day U2 to past-U2 is the same thing or not...

Point still is, U2 sounds the way they do, and no amount of whining/wishing on our part will change that...

Quote:
Let's see how big a list I can make here.

Kinda Crappy Porcupine Tree Songs From 1993 To The Present

- How Is Your Life Today (Lightbulb Sun, 2000)
- Access Denied (Recordings, 2001)

I'm also not keen on Lips Of Ashes from In Absentia, but I wouldn't go so far to call it "kinda crappy".

Bloody hell, two is the best I can do? Guess I am a fanlad then ...
Ha ha! Axver is a fanboy....

*thought that when you were saying "Supper's Ready" before, you were going to have dinner.... *
Old 04-06-2008, 06:50 AM   #447
Vocal parasite

Well, the first three tracks of Screwtape's second disc are ... interesting. They set a very strong atmosphere and serve the playlist well. Not quite my kind of thing, though. I don't think I'd be likely to return to them.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 06:53 AM   #448
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Monash had/has a radio station...
Old 04-06-2008, 06:56 AM   #449
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

Monash had/has a radio station...
Just found this comment on 3RRR's page:

Today, 3RRR is Australia's most well known community broadcasting station and has the continuing involvement of RMIT and Melbourne University following the withdrawal of most of the tertiary institutions in the early eighties.

Take that, Monash!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 06:58 AM   #450
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Well, the first three tracks of Screwtape's second disc are ... interesting. They set a very strong atmosphere and serve the playlist well. Not quite my kind of thing, though. I don't think I'd be likely to return to them.
This applies to the fourth track too. Eerie and atmospheric, suits the tracklist, and all four of those songs flow very well, but I'm in no hurry to return!

Now I'm onto The Cure's Plainsong.

Apart from Untitled, this is my favourite song on Disintegration.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread