Middle Intercourse Island superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phillyfan26 said:
On 19 and 23, I don't mind the music. It's the growling.

21 I really didn't like at all, though.

Right. I imagine some people will be put off by the heaviness full stop.

And with the growling, that's cool. It's not for everyone. I think it complements and enhances the aesthetic, so I run with it.

(Plus my black metal rasp isn't bad. Liam and I have spoken about doing a parody black metal album.)

I hope you agree that any song that includes a sample from a movie version of Orwell's 1984 has to have something going for it.

Breakfast time. Liked the end of 23. Will finish the other two in about ten-fifteen minutes.

Axver said:

Oh, yeah, that's the other thing I've heard about absinthe, its illegality. Certainly gives it a mystique. And, uh, "maggots in tequila or mezcal"?!

Due to my considerable inexperience with alcohol beyond wine, I think I should ease myself into spirits!

In fact, if I remember in a past thread, we delegated you with the task of introducing me to good non-wine alcohol when you make your way to Melbourne. I can return the favour if we can find somewhere that has good Kiwi wine. Not that I expect to find any Ata Rangi pinot noir here. :sad:

About the agave maggot in the drinks: http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a990702b.html
I think, perhaps due to the amount of time it's spent in alcohol, that eating the maggot can have a pretty heavy effect on the drinker. I don't care for tequila, so I don't know. I have a bottle of mezcal at home with a scorpion exo-skeleton in it. That stuff is fucking lighter fluid, even when watered down. Desperately seeking decent cocktail recipes so I can actually finish the bottle, and so I can give the scorpion a bash.

Without a doubt you should ease yourself into spirits. A lot of people never go past drinking them with soft drink or juice. I'm one of the only people I know that actually prefers whiskey on the rocks without any cola to speak of. To me it's a waste of money to drink it with a soft drink, because some whiskeys can be quite drinkable, even for newcomers. That's something you should watch out for. I drank a 700ml bottle of Jim Beam one night last year and I can't figure out why, because such an idea would be preposterous and frankly bogan in a sober mind. It's bad for a 90 kilo man to do this, but I'm not even 60. I figure it was because I was drinking it so quickly earlier on that I couldn't compose myself with it as the night went on. So I recommend not to bring a large bottle of spirits to a party with the intent of keeping it to yourself.

I recall that, yeah. I would be interested in getting a taste for wine, as right now I can barely taste the difference between two reds. :lol:

The Sad Punk said:
About the agave maggot in the drinks: http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a990702b.html
I think, perhaps due to the amount of time it's spent in alcohol, that eating the maggot can have a pretty heavy effect on the drinker. I don't care for tequila, so I don't know. I have a bottle of mezcal at home with a scorpion exo-skeleton in it. That stuff is fucking lighter fluid, even when watered down. Desperately seeking decent cocktail recipes so I can actually finish the bottle, and so I can give the scorpion a bash.

That's fucking insane on all levels! I, uh, think I'll pass.

Without a doubt you should ease yourself into spirits. A lot of people never go past drinking them with soft drink or juice. I'm one of the only people I know that actually prefers whiskey on the rocks without any cola to speak of. To me it's a waste of money to drink it with a soft drink, because some whiskeys can be quite drinkable, even for newcomers. That's something you should watch out for. I drank a 700ml bottle of Jim Beam one night last year and I can't figure out why, because such an idea would be preposterous and frankly bogan in a sober mind. It's bad for a 90 kilo man to do this, but I'm not even 60. I figure it was because I was drinking it so quickly earlier on that I couldn't compose myself with it as the night went on. So I recommend not to bring a large bottle of spirits to a party with the intent of keeping it to yourself.

:lol:

I have a difficult time with this whole idea of mixing things with soft drink or juice. I suppose because I come from a wine background where putting anything in your wine would be nothing short of heresy and ruining a perfectly good drink. I have, however, had rum and orange juice. It was alright but I would've preferred the orange by itself. I've had one sip of rum straight in my life and found it to be absolutely vile. I was 14 at the time though.

I recall that, yeah. I would be interested in getting a taste for wine, as right now I can barely taste the difference between two reds. :lol:

I must admit, my palette in recent years has really declined as I simply haven't been exposed to much wine. Haven't had the money to buy it for the most part, and I've intentionally spent little time with my father. When I used to spend time with him, I had a really good palette. For example, when I was about 13-14, I could tell a Martinborough chardonnay apart from a Marlborough chardonnay.

I once owned my father's wine tasting team, actually. They were conducting their first rehearsal for the national wine tasting championships and got me to read the questions. I also got to try the wine and had a stab at the answers - and convincingly won! Lucky guesses for the most part. And it didn't help that most of them weren't spitting out the wine so they were rolling drunk by the end, while I only sipped most and had probably 3 glasses total over a 2 hour period.

/randomstorytoavoiddoinguniessaywriting

Axver said:
I hope you agree that any song that includes a sample from a movie version of Orwell's 1984 has to have something going for it.

Speaking of 1984, did you know that David Bowie was originally going to write a soundtrack album to a movie about 1984 before Orwell nixed the movie plans? About half of the songs were released on Bowie's Diamond Dogs album, including the kick-ass song "1984."

Fact: In 100 posts, most in the last month, LastEdgeonEarth has started 18 threads.

I've over 1400 times the number of posts he has, and I've started only 10 times the threads he has.

Alright, my final review of Axver's playlist:

It's very good. Despite the metal not being my taste, really on a few songs turned me off, and they did fit well. The flow is great, most of the song choices are good, there's atmosphere, there's theme, there's a concept. It's a complete playlist.

Axver: A-
LemonMelon: B
Screwtape: B
LMP: C

phillyfan26 said:
I've over 1400 times the number of posts he has, and I've started only 10 times the threads he has.

:lol: And I'm sure your threads are worth the time of day, unlike his.

I think I've made a ridiculous number of threads. It's the fault of Survivor and Desert Island.

Axver said:

:lol: And I'm sure your threads are worth the time of day, unlike his.

I think I've made a ridiculous number of threads. It's the fault of Survivor and Desert Island.

I've made 181.

You've made 446.

phillyfan26 said:

Speaking of 1984, did you know that David Bowie was originally going to write a soundtrack album to a movie about 1984 before Orwell nixed the movie plans? About half of the songs were released on Bowie's Diamond Dogs album, including the kick-ass song "1984."

Huh, that's really cool.

Did you see that I enjoyed the Bowie song Screwtape used?

Axver said:
Huh, that's really cool.

Did you see that I enjoyed the Bowie song Screwtape used?

I did. I'm going to download some of that album that Screwtape sent me.

I'm going to try to send you the rest of Station to Station since you liked the title track. Probably later today after I work.

For you, tomorrow morning, that is.

phillyfan26 said:
The Cure song is very nice.

That song and Collapse The Light Into Earth are the two I played over and over when my grandfather died in February. Untitled much moreso than Collapse The Light Into Earth. For whatever reason, Untitled fit how I felt and I latched onto it.

The cover is a photo I took of the sunset on the day Grandpa died. I was listening to Untitled when I took that photo too.

phillyfan26 said:
Alright, my final review of Axver's playlist:

It's very good. Despite the metal not being my taste, really on a few songs turned me off, and they did fit well. The flow is great, most of the song choices are good, there's atmosphere, there's theme, there's a concept. It's a complete playlist.

Axver: A-
LemonMelon: B
Screwtape: B
LMP: C

:ohmy: Wow, thanks. I expected you to like it a lot less than that. Maybe I do have a hope of receiving a few votes after all!

phillyfan26 said:

I did. I'm going to download some of that album that Screwtape sent me.

I'm going to try to send you the rest of Station to Station since you liked the title track. Probably later today after I work.

For you, tomorrow morning, that is.

Cool, thanks. I should be heading off to bed soon anyway. It's 1am.

Shit, I should write some of my essay before I sleep too. Bleeeehhhh.

phillyfan26 said:

I've made 181.

You've made 446.

Huh, unless my 1am maths is grossly off, you actually create more threads per 1,000 posts than I do.

By the way, totally random question. Why the 26 in your screen name?

PFan, check your e-mails. I just sent you something.

And folks, you may be interested to note that my site is no longer U2VT. We've moved on. We're now U2gigs. We wanted a new URL not dependent on the current tour name. My only qualm is that it lacks a convenient abbreviation! It'll take a while to break my habit of referring to it as U2VT.

The Sad Punk said:
I got caught up looking at Faiyum mummy portraits by accident, and now it's nearly 1am and I still have a cold. Probably time I should head off to bed.

Have a good one, guys. :wave:

Ooh, that's pretty neat. But I better not get caught up in that myself as I should do some bloody work before bed,. Wow, today's been a total write-off. Well done, Axver.

Have a good one, Bonnie! :wave:

Axver said:

Huh, unless my 1am maths is grossly off, you actually create more threads per 1,000 posts than I do.

By the way, totally random question. Why the 26 in your screen name?

Chase Utley is my favorite player on the Philadelphia Phillies (the local baseball team). His jersey number is 26. That's him in my avatar.

Axver said:
PFan, check your e-mails. I just sent you something.

And folks, you may be interested to note that my site is no longer U2VT. We've moved on. We're now U2gigs. We wanted a new URL not dependent on the current tour name. My only qualm is that it lacks a convenient abbreviation! It'll take a while to break my habit of referring to it as U2VT.

Got it and replied.

U2gigs.com is it then?

phillyfan26 said:

Chase Utley is my favorite player on the Philadelphia Phillies (the local baseball team). His jersey number is 26. That's him in my avatar.

I expected as much.

Though they really couldn't come up with anything better than Philadelphia Phillies?

phillyfan26 said:

Got it and replied.

U2gigs.com is it then?

Yep (I believe we have U2gigs.net and U2gigs.org too, redirecting to U2gigs.com). All the old U2VT links redirect to their appropriate U2gigs location.

No other change at this stage. We've spoken of redesigning the site a little, especially as I feel some features need to be made more prominent on the homepage, but that would require plenty of effort, mostly on Matthias's behalf, so I don't know if we're going to do that.

Axver said:
Yep (I believe we have U2gigs.net and U2gigs.org too, redirecting to U2gigs.com). All the old U2VT links redirect to their appropriate U2gigs location.

No other change at this stage. We've spoken of redesigning the site a little, especially as I feel some features need to be made more prominent on the homepage, but that would require plenty of effort, mostly on Matthias's behalf, so I don't know if we're going to do that.

How do you guys pay for the domains?

phillyfan26 said:
Apparently not.

I just call them the Fightin's usually.

Just to have a stab at Ian, it's not as bad as the NZed rugby league team, the New Zealand Kiwis. COME ON.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom